Atlasian Messenger (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:35:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Messenger (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian Messenger  (Read 33968 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: July 12, 2005, 03:44:03 PM »

I'll do it for the Mideast.

Sorry, John Ford, I'll step down from the Planet, I'm no good at editorials anyway.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 06:25:05 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2005, 06:36:17 AM by Akno21 »

Ben Nominated As Judge[/u]

COLLEGE PARK-- With his confirmation as Attorney General complete, Al’s seat as Judge in the Mideast is vacant. On July 12, Lieutenant Governor Dean officially nominated Ben, former Treasury Secretary and current resident of Virginia, for the Judge position. The move was seconded by Frodo, and approved by Senators Sam Spade and MHS2002, who is a resident of the Mideast. Discussions had been had on this topic in the past few weeks. MHS2002 was the first choice of the Lt. Governor, but his election as Senator eliminated any chance of him getting the job. Ben has indicated that he will able to serve, saying “thanks for the consideration, and I’m keen to signal my interest in the post.” Ben’s activity has been inconsistent in Atlasia, but virtually everyone agrees that he will be an excellent Judge, a job that does not require day to day activity.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 03:00:18 PM »

If the NRA has really been unsuccessful or uninterested in getting-out-the-vote, pushing candidates and spinning the news, then how does this explain the simple fact that 8 out of the 10 Senators, the VP in Atlasia, and three out of five members of the President's cabinet are members of the NRA; that the NRA has been extremely successful in passing concealed carry laws in every Region and getting passed a essential amendment to the Constitution in protection of our gun rights; and that every NRA-endorsed candidate has won elected office in Atlasia.
i dont believe that they are winning the elections because of the NRA. you are very picky, Spade.

It's my job. 

The NRA certainly has helped candidates win in the past and present behind-the-scenes.  Just because the media hasn't noticed it does not mean that it does not exist.

Also, I'm giving an example of how the NRA spins the news for itself by spinning your news right now.  Wink
your spinning is quite obvious, Spade. the NRA helps its candidates as much as any other SIG does. i dont believe SIG's often decide elections, because that isnt true...yet. Once the ACLC gets going, im sure it wont be like other SIGs. its going to go out and really work for its candidates. my article simply states that SIG's could do more to affect the outcome of elections. certainly you agree.

i can spin news too spade
As I said in the poll.  The NRA could kill a candidate that opposes it in a stronghold like the south.  It does hold a lot of influence.

The NRA wouldn't need to kill the candidate, he'd do poorly with no negative campaigning against him anyway.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 03:49:45 PM »

Animosity in the Mideast?[/u]

COLLEGE PARK-- Atlasia has seen both good and bad relations between Governors and their Lieutenants, and it appears that the current Mideast Leadership may be heading down the road of bad relation. It stems from Lt. Governor Dean repeatedly referring to his superior, Governor Joe Republic, as “Jew Republic” when he wanted Republic to look at a post. However, the Governor has not taken well to this, and recently told the Lt. Governor, “Stop calling me 'Jew Republic', or I might decide to neglect you in other executive decisions as well.” While there may not be true animosity between them at this point, any threat to take the Lt. Governor out of the decision making process indicates something is up. Hopefully the situation will be resolved, and the Mideast will be spared their two most powerful leaders being on different pages.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 03:51:51 PM »

Here's an argument for democratic election of lt. governors.  If the Governors themselves can't pick someone they like might as well go ahead and let the people do it.

Dean was elected, not selected.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 09:48:54 PM »

Southeast Governors Race Heating Up[/u]

MEMPHIS-- In what many have considered to be the most politically active region in the country, there are already two strong candidates for Governor. Senator Cosmo Kramer (SAP-AR) announced his intentions to run for the Governorship, in a move that had been expected since he recently said he wouldn’t run for Senate or President but another elected office.

Kramer said “I am now announcing my bid for Governor of the Southeast Region.  I do comend Governor Dubya for his hard-work, yet I believe I can bring more to the office.  The Governor and I have talked, and I assure the public we will conduct a clean and fair campaign.The Southeast is a wonderful region, full of a variety of different things to do and see.  It's a region full of history and tradition.  I'd be honored to serve the great people of this region, and I ask the voters of the southeast to give me this chance.”

Governor Dubya (ACA-FL) responded, saying “I have come before y'all tonight to announce that I will be running for Governor again in August!  I was planning to wait before making this announcement, but since my opponent, Mr. Kramer, announced his candidacy today, I decided that I wouldn't let myself be bested by populist-liberal scum (just kidding, Preston Wink)”

Political analysts say the race could turn out similar to the last two, with Kramer replacing StatesRights as the more conservative, and “Dixie Pride” option, against the more moderate Dubya. While another tie is certainly possible, knowing the candidates, they will do everything they can to convince the voters to avoid a tie, and vote for them. 

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 10:00:04 PM »

Interesting that I am labeled a "conservative."

I know what you mean, though, Akno.  I probably will get most of the votes of the StatesRights coalition.  But I'm Cosmo Kramer, not StatesRights.  I have supporters of my own to add to that coalition.

The way I come to labeling you as that is that it's what you are known for. If you ask any forum member what phrase to use to describe you politically, "socially conservative" would be sure to come up often.

You definitly can expand on StatesRights voters, it depends what you stress and who you court, and how heavily you do so.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »

Hobbes Back in the Picture[/u]

LOS ANGELES-- After a break from seeking elected office in Atlasia, the "independent conservative", Mr. Hobbes, is back. The California resident returned to the public scene today to announce his intentions to run for Lt. Governor in the Pacific Region.

"We need a transideological mammal as Speaker of the Pacific House of Representatives," Hobbes declared to cheering from his new bully pulpit, the Tree House.

Hobbes announcement muddles an election picture out west, where there are now 2 Gubernatorial candidates, both of whom have de facto running mates, which makes for 3 Lt. Governor candidates. Whether Hobbes will be able to court support outside of himself is unclear, although he is the only socially conservative candidate in the Lt. Governor race, and if he can get enough votes from the conservative bloc, a former President may be left scratching his head over another lost election.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2005, 03:26:39 PM »

Ernest Announces Run, Chooses ILP

COLUMBIA—Justice and Former Southeast Governor Ernest made it clear he was going to change a lot in a short amount of time yesterday. First, he moved back to South Carolina, from Hawaii, where he was “vacationing.” He also left the Atlasian Monster Raving Loony Party, and joined the Independent Liberal Party. He said he was being serious again.

The most important part of the announcement, however, came when Ernest said “In particular I hope for the support of all people who value common sense as I run this August to be your next Senator.”

His opponents are Ben Myers (ACA-FL), Bono (I-SC), along with, depending on re-districting, Sen. MHS2002 (U-VA). Former Vice-President Harry has also expressed interest. Sen. Colin Wixted and acting SoFA Peter Bell gave Ernest their support shortly after his announcement, but it is unclear whether he will gain enough support among the Southeasterners in his district to win.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 03:41:28 PM »

Mideast Voting Booth Unopened[/u]

COLLEGE PARK—In a surprising development, the voting booth that was supposed to be opened by either Governor Joe Republic, or Lt. Governor Dean, was not opened, and no one has been able to vote on Ben as Judge, consideration of a Secret Ballot, or a repeal of the avatar laws. Pope PD has been the most forceful citizen in pointing out this failure, which seems to be of little consequence to some citizens, such as TexasGurl and 9iron. It is fairly certain that the booth will not open at all, but Pope PD still wants an explanation from the leadership. It is rather surprising that Governor Republic would let this happen, since he is much admired for his work as Governor, and this is certainly a blot on his record.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 06:12:57 PM »

I'd like to announce that I am now on the staff of the Atlasian Messenger as a Pacific correspondent.

Welcome Smiley
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2005, 03:51:24 PM »

Ford on the Trail

SAN FRANCISCO-- Pacific Gubernatorial candidate John Ford (F-CA) has already begun to campaign, with three extensive speeches on topics ranging from redistricting, constitutional conventions, and why we should unify our budget.

Ford made it clear that he supports a Pacific unified economically, politically, and legally, and that he opposes the hodgepodge of states that has existed. He also called for the people to be involved, citing them as the best defense against a tyrannical legislature.

On redistricting, Ford supports changing the districts as little as possible, to give Senators more time to develop a working relationship with his constituents. He also said districts should have a true geographic entity.

He urged for unification of the budget because not doing so is dangerous, with no relation between collecting taxes and setting budget priorities. He hopes to lay out a full vision on this matter shortly. It is clear he already has a campaigning edge in this election.

Look here for full text of the speeches
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2005, 05:15:06 PM »

Harry in the Race[/u]

JACKSON-- Former Vice-President, Senator, and Governor Harry (SAP-MS) is trying once again for office, this time the Senate. He first signalled he might be interested a few days ago, and confirmed that this morning, with a simple statement, saying "Harry has now confirmed that he is indeed going to be a  candidate for the District 4 senate seat in August."

He will be the most liberal candidate in a five-man field, that includes Sen. MHS2002 (U-VA), Justice Ernest (ILP-SC) Fmr. Sen. Bono (I-SC), and Ben Meyers (ACA-FL). The district is not numbered yet, but includes the states Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2005, 06:52:34 PM »

CheezeWhiz running for re-election

BELLE FOURCHE-- Midwest Governor CheezeWhiz (L-MT)announced yesterday that he would seek re-election as Governor instead of a Senate seat. He cited as reasons the fact that he is more interested in local government than federal government, and that his running for Governor would make sense at this time when considering what positions various people, such as PBrunsel, Ilikeverin, and DanielX are running for.

He summed it up by saying "I’m just not as enthusiastic about the Federal Government as I am for the Midwest, our tiny region with so many little problems Wink" It is not clear whether he will be opposed or not, but there aren't too many possible challengers, especially with Ilikeverin now Secretary of Forum Affairs.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 05:30:37 PM »

Ford, Goldwater, Lead In Poll

SAN FRANCISCO-- In an Atlasian Messenger poll conducted from July 15-18, Moderator John Ford (F-CA) has a convincing edge in the Governor's race, while Goldwater (U-OR) is leading in the Lt. Governor's race.

Governor

GM John Ford 58%
Lt. Gov. Immy 32%
Undecided 10%

Lt. Governor

Goldwater 42%
Fmr. Pres. True Independent 27%
Mr. Hobbes 11%
Undecided 20%

It should be noted that while the two offices are up for election separately, Ford and True Independent are running together, as are Immy and Goldwater. 19 people were polled.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2005, 07:46:48 PM »

I hereby resign as a member of the staff of the Atlasian Messenger.  Given that it is my job to cover the workings of the Atlasian government fairly and objectively, I cannot do that while biasing my self by running at the same time.

I wish Akno, King, Ebowed, and all who end up on the Messenger's staff.  Gentlemen, your articles are great, and while I won't have the honor of writing besides you, I look forward to reading more of them from the campaign trail.

It was great while you were here, Defarge, your work was the best.

I guess some one will have to pick up the slack. I'm an elections guy, I don't think I could replace Defarge, is there anyone out there looking for a writing job that cares about Fantasy Government?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »

PBrunsel Speaks on His Record

BETTENDORF, Iowa-- Sen. PBrunsel (ACA-IA) began his re-election campaign yesterday, and made it clear what he would focus on.

"This message of hope for the future will be personified in my only campaign promise, to continue what I am currently doing."

He went on to tout his record as a Senator, voting for cabinet members of all different political persuasions, voted with environmental causes, and to allow seniors to import drgus from Canada. He said he had strong faith the people will vote on his record, saying that is all you can judge an elected offical on. He said he hoped the winner would emerge as a leader in a united district, and a united Atlasia.

Full Text Here
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 06:27:19 AM »

Sam Spade Interviewed

NYMAN--Sen. Sam Spade (U-AL) is a popular and influential member of the Union Party. He is also the Southeast's Senator. He agreed to be interviewed, as he plays a big role in the issues that face us today, and his views should be known.

Akno21:  You had indicated a willingness to be interviewed for The Atlasian Messenger, so here we go.

Sam Spade:  Thanks for the interview, Akno.  It's always a pleasure..

Akno21: Would the Union Party be best served by reaching out to more radical libertarians and attempting to gather them into the party? If so, would you be willing to move out of the center to accomdate them?

Sam Spade:  Well, Akno, first of all let me say this.  I believe very much in the opening words to the Union Party's bylaws, written by our founder Htmldon, which says and I quote, "The Constitutional Union Party is a libertarian party of the center-right and we accentuate personal liberty, a strong national defense, and capitalism.  Unlike other political organizations, though, we encourage our members to always support ideas that have strong merit and proof of effectiveness, regardless of their ideological foundations. We believe that ideology often gets in the way of progress and unnecessarily divides people by cultural, racial, and religious boundaries. Science, reason, and common sense are our primary values."

One of the reasons why I believe the Union Party has been the longest-running, most successful centrist party is because we are confident in where we stand and what we believe; no matter where our members stand for in the broad political spectrum of what these ideals cover, we are all united behind the same banner that this party represents.

I view myself as not being a party chairman, but rather a steward of this vision.  Certainly, our membership changes as time moves on; we might become more conservative or certain issues and more liberal on other issues, but our fundamental beliefs stay the same.  And at no time will I abandon these beliefs in order to pander to a particular political group in order to gain members or to curry influence within a certain organization.

This does not mean that others are not welcome, those who do not agree with every last word the Union platform offers.  As I have said countless times before, we are a tolerant, thoughtful party that  welcomes all Atlasian citizens who agree with our basic vision and values.

What this means I think, is that the Union Party and I, as party chairman, respect what our members believe above all else.  They are the ones that drive this party forward.  They are the ones who define what those words that Htmldon said in the Party's statement mean in specific terms.  And they are the ones who will keep this party unified and growing in the future.

Would you be willing to run as a Vice-Presidential candidate, or would you only leave your Senate seat to run for President?

Sam Spade:  As I have consistently said from the moment the wonderful citizens of the Southeast elected me Senator, I will only serve two terms and will not run for re-election this upcoming October.

As to the possibility of me running for President, Vice President, Governor or any other position in the Southeast or Atlasia, let me first and foremost say that I have not ruled out running for any of these positions come October, depending on what circumstances may arise.  I have only ruled out running for re-election to the Senate.

My interest in any position in Atlasian elected life must occur from an inner need to exact new and fresh from the position and I will not run for any office unless I feel that need.

As a resident of the Southeastern Region, do you believe that the Southern Pride movement is a positive for the region, or does it have too much risk of causing rifts between the South and the rest of the country?

Sam Spade:  In my mind, there is nothing wrong with being proud of the South.  It is a proud Region, filled with wonderful citizens, excellent leaders and a competant government.  What I disapprove of is the rather boisterous and chauvenistic way some members have chosen to exhibit their pride in the South, whether it be through territorial aggrandizement or through pointless displays of arrogant behavior.

However, I am a supporter of reuniting the Southeast.  I believe, through my various conversations, that the citizens of Virginia, Oklahoma and Kentucky wish to be members of our Region.  But I also realize how hard even reuniting even Virginia alone with the Southeast will be.  We, as Southeasterners, must use thoughtful discussion, reasoned arguments and common courtesy to our fellow Regions in order to ever have any chance of reuniting the Southeast.

Simply put, I would rather have Southeasterners who believe in Southern Pride and the re-union of the Southeast use a Southern Sensibility to get things done that will strengthen the South and modernize the Region as a whole.  We must show that we respect and cherish everyone in Atlasia who is not a member of our Region and that we honor their beliefs, needs and wants.  Through this, the reunification of our Region can finally be achieved.

CONTINUED ON NEXT PAGE
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 06:27:58 AM »

Sam Spade Interviewed

NYMAN--Sen. Sam Spade (U-AL) is a popular and influential member of the Union Party. He is also the Southeast's Senator. He agreed to be interviewed, as he plays a big role in the issues that face us today, and his views should be known. (CONTINUED FROM PAGE ONE)

Can the Union Party hold on to the five Senate seats that it has, or is it impossible to sustain such dominance over an extended period of time in Atlasia?

Sam Spade:  Akno, you know as well as I do how volatile Atlasian politics is and how hard it is to simply maintain unity within a party, much less dominance over an institution such as the Senate.  We have two seats coming up for election in August and one of our incumbents, King, has already decided not to run for re-election.  MHS2002 is in a dogfight with four other excellent opponents and will be hard-pressed to win re-election, even though I hope he does so as his record as both Attorney General and Senator has been stellar.

My goal for the present and future of the Union Party is simple, yet deeply important.  Rather than trying to acheive dominance over one institution of Atlasian politics, my goal as Union Party head is to maintain and strengthen Union Party influence in all realms of government, from the Executive to the legislative to the Regional, so that our wide spectrum of ideas and beliefs permeate the whole of Atlasian life and government.  By emphasizing these goals over simple masses of numbers and spheres of power, we can bring out the best in our membership and influence other members of Atlasian society to come to the conclusion that the basic values that the Union Party stands for are the best for Atlasia's future.

Frankly, if the Union Party is able to maintain control of half of the Senate then I will certainly be happy, but I don't view it as being necessary for our party's success and inner stability.

You were opposed to Ilikeverin as SoFA. Who would you rather have seen nominated for the position?

Sam Spade:  First, let me say that I do not think ilikeverin is a bad person or a "meanie" in Atlasian politics; however it is my opinion that the SoFA position is by far the most important position in Atlasian politics, and I felt like that ilikeverin was not qualified to meet the vigorous requirements that the position asks for.  Rest assured, if ilikeverin does a good job as SoFA in the next couple of months, specifically with regards to the August elections, I will quite happy to change my mind on his ability to handle the job.

Two candidates that specifically come to mind right now that I would have assuredly supported are former Supreme Court Justice John Dibble and former Senator Defarge, who appears to have taken a more active role in Atlasian politics of late with his campaign for Senator.

Both of them would have the experience, the qualifications and the ability to handle the position with great ability.

How would you rate Vice-President Emsworth and President Siege at this point into their terms?

Sam Spade:  At present, I think Vice-President Emsworth has done a exemplary job in his running of the Senate during Gabu's prolonged absence.  The handling of the Budget, the PPT vote, and these early votes show to me that he is a politician of the utmost character and shows extraordinary ability in handling the affairs of the Senate.

I think that President Siege's performance so far has been very satisfactory.  His cabinet choices, with the exception of the aforementioned ilikeverin, have been extremely competant, well-intentioned government officials who are extremely qualified and suited for their jobs.  I personally wish that he would have offered with his words a much more of a unified vision for the future of Atlasia in the world, and of his Presidency within the legislative scene, but there still is plenty of time left for him to make his mark in those two areas.

Finally, do you think that from the hard work of yourself, Colin Wixted, Gabu, and others, almost all procedural problems in the Senate have been fixed, and the focus can be on law-making after spending many months perfecting the process?

Sam Spade:  Of course.  I view this as being one of the great lasting legacies from the three Sessions of the Senate that I've had to work with my excellent colleagues, especially the two listed above.  With this reworking of procedural legislation, we have finally created tools with which the Senate can move forward at a normal, reasonable pace and we have finally protected the rights of Senatorial minorities to stop radical legislation from all corners.

It is therefore my hope that every Senate from now on can push forward with law-making, unhindered by procedural concerns or confusion, and make better laws for the whole of Atlasia.  I am also confident that future Senates will use these rules to the fullest of their intent.

Akno21: Thank you very much for your time.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 11:40:45 PM »

Amendment on It's Way[/u]

COLLEGE PARK-- The repeal of The Signature and Avatar Amendment looks to be favored in the Mideast, as it has come for a vote. Since the voting booth opened on Friday Morning, 6 people have voted for the amendment, and none against. Those six are Governor Joe Republic, Senator Master Jedi, Senator MHS2002, Akno21, Frodo, and Lt. Governor Dean.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2005, 04:04:54 PM »

Master Jedi Begins Re-Election Bid[/u]

NYMAN, D.C-- Senator Master Jedi (ACA-WI) is going to run for re-election, and he has already begun to seek support among Mideastern residents. He recently sent many residents a personal message reading

"Hi citizens of the Mideast. I know it's still a ways away until October comes around but I would like to announce to all of you that I do intend to run for re-election.

I hope to gather support from all corners of the political spectrum like I gained last time. If everyone could I would like if you could reply with if you'd vote for me, not sure, or the dreaded NOTA. Smiley

I hope to hear back from all of you soon."

The Senator won re-election easily in June, and was expected to run again. Several observers thought he may run for President in October, but it appears those plans have been shelved - for now. Jedi had a 69% approval rating and 25% disapproval rating according to a poll released by The Atlasian Messenger[/url] on July 24.

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2005, 07:10:58 AM »

Sex Crime Legislation Fails[/u]

COLLEGE PARK-- The Sex Crime Legislation, as proposed by Former Governor Peter Bell, was called dead yesterday by it's creator, who blamed it on the fact that the Mideast is full of inactives who do not take interest in governmental affairs. It did not get the required amount of support in the week allotted by the constitution.

The full text of the bill can be found here
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2005, 07:16:04 AM »

Ballot Set

NYMAN, D.C. -- The offical ballot for the August federal elections was set by Deputy SoFA Peter Bell at the declaration deadline. The ballot is as follows.

District 1:
Defarge
Texasgurl
King

District 2:
Keystone Phil
Al

District 3:
Fritz
RBH
PBrunsel

District 4: