Atlas Throwback : 1979 edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:06:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Atlas Throwback : 1979 edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Atlas Throwback : 1979 edition  (Read 5624 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 06:30:19 PM »

Carter's been a disaster. I voted for Ford in '76, but Reagan is too socially conservative for my tastes...Perhaps I'll vote third party.

Ted Kennedy just sorta pisses me off too.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 11:12:55 PM »

My word, Carter has been a terrible president.  I'd vote for just about any Republican over him, but I'm a little concerned about Reagan on civil rights.  Hope he doesn't get nominated.  Bush, Ford, Dole, Baker, or Anderson would be my preferred picks.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2017, 03:23:41 AM »

We are doomed. At the bar I go to, I listen to the comments of the truck drivers, and they loathe Jimmy Carter with a seething passion. Democrats don't understand that the American people want a winner, not someone who talks to us about how we've lost our way, and then appoints a guy who will raise interest rates to the Fed. I support Ted Kennedy, but let's be real, he's too liberal to win. Unless emergency measures are taken, this will be a watershed election, with Ronald Reagan winning a landslide just like Margaret Thatcher did.

Ted Kennedy gives the Democrats a better chance against Reagan then Carter does as he probably locks down more states then Carter does. Also even if Kennedy loses it will be by a close margin thus the Democrats may not lose many seats in congress.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 05:44:45 PM »

Bump
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 06:45:13 PM »

Reagan doesn't have a chance, so we'd better hope that the Republicans nominate him. He's got some campaign slogan of "Make America Great Again". Seriously, no one will ever become President with that slogan.

I've been talking a lot of people and they're saying that America was great in the 1950s and I think Reagan is using that as his message. I might be a little early, but you might have to eat those words very soon, considering the Nolstalgia for the 50s is strong.

Honestly, I would prefer Ford, Haig, or, heck, Goldwater. Just anyone but the foolish Reagan. His "Anybody But Nixon" Campaign and possible alliance with Rockefeller is reason enough to make me dislike him. He's a fake conservative only using the Conservatives for his own Political gain. If he wanted to truly help, why didn't he run for Senate in 1976? If he showed competency in the Senate like Goldwater had then I would be a little more Lenient to him.

Not to mention, he cost Ford 1976! Say what you will, Ford had a fighting chance given how close it actually was on Election Night and I believe that if Reagan didn't run against him in the Primaries, Ford would've won and this wouldn't be happening.

Btw, @Old School Republican his performance in 1976 was more of a backlash to Watergate and the pardon of Nixon. I'm sorry, but the Governor is cardboard and shouldn't be anywhere near the Presidency and neither should Bush or Dole.

If Reagan wins the Nom, I'm writing in Ford. I just won't allow people like Reagan to have my vote and I might as well go Independent henceforth. If they nominate a crazy grandpa like him, I'm scared of the future WBC minister they'll nominate next
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2018, 06:51:54 PM »

If Reagan makes it to the GE, he will lose. The WWC is not voting for a Hollywood actor who thinks Social Security and Medicare are ponzi schemes.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2018, 07:06:26 PM »

If Reagan makes it to the GE, he will lose. The WWC is not voting for a Hollywood actor who thinks Social Security and Medicare are ponzi schemes.

Pat Brown thought the same and he didn’t face an economy near as bad

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2018, 07:10:28 PM »

Reagan doesn't have a chance, so we'd better hope that the Republicans nominate him. He's got some campaign slogan of "Make America Great Again". Seriously, no one will ever become President with that slogan.

I've been talking a lot of people and they're saying that America was great in the 1950s and I think Reagan is using that as his message. I might be a little early, but you might have to eat those words very soon, considering the Nolstalgia for the 50s is strong.

Honestly, I would prefer Ford, Haig, or, heck, Goldwater. Just anyone but the foolish Reagan. His "Anybody But Nixon" Campaign and possible alliance with Rockefeller is reason enough to make me dislike him. He's a fake conservative only using the Conservatives for his own Political gain. If he wanted to truly help, why didn't he run for Senate in 1976? If he showed competency in the Senate like Goldwater had then I would be a little more Lenient to him.

Not to mention, he cost Ford 1976! Say what you will, Ford had a fighting chance given how close it actually was on Election Night and I believe that if Reagan didn't run against him in the Primaries, Ford would've won and this wouldn't be happening.

Btw, @Old School Republican his performance in 1976 was more of a backlash to Watergate and the pardon of Nixon. I'm sorry, but the Governor is cardboard and shouldn't be anywhere near the Presidency and neither should Bush or Dole.

If Reagan wins the Nom, I'm writing in Ford. I just won't allow people like Reagan to have my vote and I might as well go Independent henceforth. If they nominate a crazy grandpa like him, I'm scared of the future WBC minister they'll nominate next

Governing the state of California far better prepares you for the Presidency than a senate seat does .

And I would argue Reagan helped Ford , the Republicans we’re wiped out in 74 and they trailed big in the polls ,Reagan brought enthusiasm to the party and brought in many voters who don’t vote usually to the GOP Fold .

By the way if you don’t support Reagan, Bush or Dole who would you support if Ford doesn’t run
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2018, 09:26:48 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2018, 12:45:39 AM by Representative MAINEiac4434 »

Ronald Reagan will turn me into an enthusiastic Carter voter, mark my words.

Hope Kennedy primaries the peanut man, still.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2018, 10:57:36 PM »

For those of you who think Reagan is unelectable, remember he won by 15 points against the Man who defeated the two most Powerful California Republicans before Reagan, Knowland and Nixon. Also Unlike now,  in 1966 Reagan was just an actor with no prior government experience and he still won in a landslide and the economy was doing well then too.

If the Democrats use the actor card or experience against Reagan it will fail miserably, because President Carter had even less experience card against than Reagan did prior to becoming President: Carter was a One Term Governor of Georgia, Reagan was a Two Term Governor of the Largest State in the Union.

And if the Democrats try to use the extremist card it will fail to because unlike Goldwater or McGovern, Reagan again was a governor not a senator so he can use his record to refute those claims. A Senator outside the mainstream can be easily attacked for that because of the fact that due to being outside the mainstream they mostly just have a record of opposing things, while a Governor(especially of a state like California) has a record to point too and can use it to refute the extremist argument.

So the Democratic Strategy Against Reagan will backfire, and if they nominate Carter they will have the record of the bad economy as well so its very likely Reagan will sweep to victory just like he did in CA in 1966. This election year is gonna be fun
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2018, 11:00:20 PM »

bah. Reagan is unelectable. The New Deal Coalition returned in full force in '76. It will probably never die.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2018, 11:16:59 PM »

bah. Reagan is unelectable. The New Deal Coalition returned in full force in '76. It will probably never die.

Full Force lol, so thats why Carter got less EV than JFK did in 1960 lol.

Carter will be wiped out in 1980 , mark by words
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2018, 12:40:42 AM »

Democrats are the natural national majority!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2018, 01:11:16 AM »

Democrats are the natural national majority!

Yah because of the strong economy

They no longer have that benefit
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2018, 01:15:01 AM »

I support Kennedy but I don’t think he has a real chance.
I really hope the republican  nominate Reagan though! Goldwater 2.0!!!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2018, 01:41:48 AM »

I really hope the republican  nominate Reagan though! Goldwater 2.0!!!

Lol

Goldwater was just a senator with mainly a record of voting no or opposing things, Reagan was the Governor of CALIFORNIA and that makes using the extremist card almost impossible since he has a record to point to.

Remember Pat Brown thought the same thing and got defeated by 15 points

(I would imagine my screen name during this time would be New School Republican or Reagan for President)
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2018, 03:26:37 AM »

I really hope the republican  nominate Reagan though! Goldwater 2.0!!!

Lol

Goldwater was just a senator with mainly a record of voting no or opposing things, Reagan was the Governor of CALIFORNIA and that makes using the extremist card almost impossible since he has a record to point to.

Remember Pat Brown thought the same thing and got defeated by 15 points

New school republican I disagree, I live in California and he not liked in my neck of the woods. My hometown was home to the western American nazi party headquarters and voted for Goldwater And he not well liked. And remember pat brown made a gaffe comparing him to John  Wilkes Booth because they were both actors and voter turnout dropped in 1970

(My hometown was actually the former home of the western American headquarters in the 60s. However they got pushed out a couple year later)

https://www.salon.com/2017/08/19/a-california-suburb-reckons-with-its-nazi-past-and-present-day-controversy-follows/
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »

I might have to change my support to brown. He is a much better governor then Reagan could ever wish to be.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2018, 09:09:31 AM »

I expect that I’ll be voting for Anderson or Bush
WestVegeta
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -2.43

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2018, 10:46:36 PM »

It's a damn shame that Carter failed so terribly, his moderate liberalism would've been the perfect antidote to the Nixon days if he wasn't so incompetent. I think a Kennedy/Jackson ticket may be able to win in a squeaker though, because Reagan's too much of an ideologue and extremist for most Americans. If he gets the nomination, he'll need someone like Percy on the ticket to mellow him out.

Also I'm a sperm cell, how the fnck am I typing.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2018, 03:15:21 PM »

It's a damn shame that Carter failed so terribly, his moderate liberalism would've been the perfect antidote to the Nixon days if he wasn't so incompetent. I think a Kennedy/Jackson ticket may be able to win in a squeaker though, because Reagan's too much of an ideologue and extremist for most Americans. If he gets the nomination, he'll need someone like Percy on the ticket to mellow him out.

Also I'm a sperm cell, how the fnck am I typing.

He easily won twice in CA and was strongly supported by Republicans like Eisenhower so he really isnt viewed as an extremist like you guys would like him to be.

Plus unlike Goldwater he is a Governor which makes it much easier to counter  the extremist label.

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2018, 07:21:36 PM »

Now that Bush has narrowly won in Iowa and won a landslide in PR I believe he is the frontrunner. I think Bush and Kennedy will be the nominees and I predict Kennedy will lose by about the same Ford lost by four years ago.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2018, 07:53:03 PM »

Now that Bush has narrowly won in Iowa and won a landslide in PR I believe he is the frontrunner. I think Bush and Kennedy will be the nominees and I predict Kennedy will lose by about the same Ford lost by four years ago.

Kennedy is being the Nominee. Any challenge to a President always failed. It only worked in the 1800s and even then, it's very hard. Watch Carter rebound and win last minute. I gaurantee it

For the Republicans, if only Baker won Iowa
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies