IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:20:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 54
Author Topic: IL-Gov. 2018 Megathread  (Read 112605 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: March 15, 2018, 04:45:43 PM »

Thank God he's gonna be the nominee in 2018 and not a normal year.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #651 on: March 15, 2018, 05:06:28 PM »

COME ON BISS
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #652 on: March 15, 2018, 05:08:49 PM »

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #653 on: March 15, 2018, 05:18:40 PM »

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #654 on: March 15, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »

besides the fact that "duck boat corruption" is an incredibly funny sequence of words, not sure if this hurts pritzker much at all -- everybody already knows that he's an unaccountable billionaire. don't know how this changes public perceptions
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #655 on: March 15, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »

Honestly at this point a meteor strike in Illinois might be a better option than any of the candidates
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #656 on: March 15, 2018, 05:28:51 PM »

I admit this may sound ignorant but what's Rauner been like as a Governor, and what theoretically would Pritzker do/not do in comparison to Rauner?

At first I wasn't too fussed about Pritzker winning (I saw him as being a creature of Illinois Democrat Politics aka a scumbag) but the barrage of stories is making me wonder if I would actually be that upset if he somehow lost in 2018?

Like I assume there's much worse Governor races for Democrats to lose?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #657 on: March 15, 2018, 05:29:19 PM »

#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #658 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:17 PM »

JB Pritzker: We need to raise property taxes to close the budget deficit.

Also JB Pritzker: Incorporates holding entities in tax haven countries to shield his assets and income from taxation.

What a useless candidate and man.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #659 on: March 15, 2018, 08:48:54 PM »

I admit this may sound ignorant but what's Rauner been like as a Governor, and what theoretically would Pritzker do/not do in comparison to Rauner?

At first I wasn't too fussed about Pritzker winning (I saw him as being a creature of Illinois Democrat Politics aka a scumbag) but the barrage of stories is making me wonder if I would actually be that upset if he somehow lost in 2018?

Rauner's been a standard 2010/2014 Midwestern GOP governor in the Walker/Snyder mold. After taking office in 2014, he refused to sign a state budget until the legislature acted on a number of his priorities, including weakening collective bargaining rights and making Illinois a right-to-work state. Democrats naturally refused to pass a budget with those provisions, and so the state went around two years without a budget. The state's credit is now more or less at junk level, and with no budget public schools (both universities and K-12) have struggled to keep the lights on and have seen declining enrollment. While some education funding continued through court orders, social service agencies in particular have been hit hard and often forced to close. Eventually, enough Republicans were willing to defy Rauner to pass a budget, and that's more or less where we're at now. Pritzker, if nothing else, would pass a budget to fund essential social services without conditioning it on gutting the unions.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #660 on: March 15, 2018, 10:00:46 PM »

tbh if Biss wins the D primary I'll most likely end up voting for him.  He'd be the more effective weapon against Madigan.

If it's Pritzker though you could threaten to shoot me and I'll still vote Rauner.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #661 on: March 16, 2018, 12:45:28 AM »

Biss is good.

Rauner's okay.

**** Pritzker.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #662 on: March 16, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »

I'm sure that it's been remarked upon elsewhere, but this is something that bears repeating. For a party leadership that's concerned about turnout among younger voters, they're absolutely deaf when it comes to those same voters' priorities.

J.B.'s comically high levels of corruption and self-financing represent the exact opposite of what the youngest voters look for in a candidate: integrity.

Nominate someone who doesn't represent some of your voters' values and don't be surprised if those voters don't show up.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #663 on: March 16, 2018, 08:39:50 AM »

Rauner's been a standard 2010/2014 Midwestern GOP governor in the Walker/Snyder mold. After taking office in 2014, he refused to sign a state budget until the legislature acted on a number of his priorities, including weakening collective bargaining rights and making Illinois a right-to-work state. Democrats naturally refused to pass a budget with those provisions, and so the state went around two years without a budget. The state's credit is now more or less at junk level, and with no budget public schools (both universities and K-12) have struggled to keep the lights on and have seen declining enrollment. While some education funding continued through court orders, social service agencies in particular have been hit hard and often forced to close. Eventually, enough Republicans were willing to defy Rauner to pass a budget, and that's more or less where we're at now. Pritzker, if nothing else, would pass a budget to fund essential social services without conditioning it on gutting the unions.

Has Pritzker continued to try to model himself on Phil Murphy’s ‘17 campaign or no?
BundouYMB

« Reply #664 on: March 16, 2018, 09:08:43 AM »

I'm sure that it's been remarked upon elsewhere, but this is something that bears repeating. For a party leadership that's concerned about turnout among younger voters, they're absolutely deaf when it comes to those same voters' priorities.

J.B.'s comically high levels of corruption and self-financing represent the exact opposite of what the youngest voters look for in a candidate: integrity.

Nominate someone who doesn't represent some of your voters' values and don't be surprised if those voters don't show up.

Biss, your candidate, might well be the most untrustworthy candidate in America. He can't go 5 minutes without lying through his teeth.

He co-ran a Super PAC with Mike Madigan and was one of Madigan's closest supporters in the legislature before starting his campaign for Governor attacking Madigan only three months after he quit the PAC. In the state Senate he was one of the most conservative Democrats before turning around and running for Governor as a progressive. He took oodles of corporate money before being against corporate money. Literally DURING HIS CURRENT CAMPAIGN FOR GOVERNOR he cashed a $300K check from a drug company CEO and then, when his blatant hypocrisy was pointed out, said "it makes sense that they would give money to the Governor who controls the outcome of their industry in Illinois." He literally wrote the bill that gutted public employees pensions before running for Governor and saying "a pension is a promise."

So maybe you shouldn't talk about integrity, mmm 'kay?
BundouYMB

« Reply #665 on: March 16, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »

And by the way Pritzker will win young voters, just like he'll win every other demographic when he wins this primary by 30 points.

/mic drop
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #666 on: March 16, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »

Biss or Pritzker should win the GE pretty easily simply due to the political environment.  Plus, Rauner is pretty unpopular IIRC.  I mean, you can’t completely rule out the possibility of some huge late-breaking scandal with Pritzker, but it’d have to be pretty bad for Rauner to be competitive.  This one could end up being a blowout and the only reason I don’t have it at Likely D is that Rauner can pour so much money into the race.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #667 on: March 16, 2018, 10:05:51 AM »

#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #668 on: March 16, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2018, 10:15:30 AM by Middle Class Governor »

Biss, your candidate, might well be the most untrustworthy candidate in America. He can't go 5 minutes without lying through his teeth.

Bob Menendez was literally on trial for public corruption. Rick Scott's Medicare fraud is well documented. Heck, just in Illinois, JB offshored millions and hired Madigan's property tax firm to avoid hundreds of thousands of dollars in property taxes annually, as did Chris Kennedy. There are so, so many corrupt candidates that Biss's misdeeds don't scratch the surface.

Ed.: And Eric Greitens is literally under indictment right across the border from Illinois.

He co-ran a Super PAC with Mike Madigan and was one of Madigan's closest supporters in the legislature before starting his campaign for Governor attacking Madigan only three months after he quit the PAC.

See above. All candidates are owned by Madigan. My original candidate, Scott Drury, was among the least owned by Madigan and dropped to run for AG. By the way, Kennedy and Pritzker both donated to the same fund.

In the state Senate he was one of the most conservative Democrats before turning around and running for Governor as a progressive. He took oodles of corporate money before being against corporate money. Literally DURING HIS CURRENT CAMPAIGN FOR GOVERNOR he cashed a $300K check from a drug company CEO and then, when his blatant hypocrisy was pointed out, said "it makes sense that they would give money to the Governor who controls the outcome of their industry in Illinois."

Yep, definitely the same as someone who stresses the need to increase property taxes to close the budget deficit, while employing complex legal maneuvers to shield his own property and income from taxes. Increased property taxes that, by the way, go directly to Madigan's bottom line. Biss's split with Madigan is due to the former's support for a progressive income tax, while the latter wants to raise property taxes that are already the highest in the county.

I also haven't seen anything about corp contributions during his state senate runs - if you have a link, I'd appreciate it.

He literally wrote the bill that gutted public employees pensions before running for Governor and saying "a pension is a promise."

Good. My biggest failing with him as a candidate is that he backed off public pension reform.

So maybe you shouldn't talk about integrity, mmm 'kay?

And by the way Pritzker will win young voters, just like he'll win every other demographic when he wins this primary by 30 points.

/mic drop

He (JB) won't win young voters in the primary, at least going based on recent polling crosstabs. In the general, yeah probably. But that wasn't exactly my point. My point was that in close races (which illinois won't be), perceived candidate integrity matters moreso to a certain subset of voters that also happen to be a pillar of the Democratic party's voting base and that all else being equal, it's better to avoid the stench altogether.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #669 on: March 16, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »

Pritzker is such garbage
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #670 on: March 16, 2018, 03:08:18 PM »

IMO Biss is a typical politician (oppotunstic, shameless, backstabbing) whilst Pritzker seems like a crooked politician. There’s a distinction.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #671 on: March 17, 2018, 12:21:50 AM »

IMO Biss is a typical politician (oppotunstic, shameless, backstabbing) whilst Pritzker seems like a crooked politician. There’s a distinction.
This is Illinois its not unreasonable to think they are all crooks.
kyc0705

« Reply #672 on: March 17, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »

The question is if you want someone who feigns normality or someone who seems to openly acknowledge that being an efficient politician typically requires a high degree of conventionally bad behavior.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #673 on: March 17, 2018, 11:06:49 AM »

Democratic Governor's Association is ratf**king Rauner:

Video

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78