The Iron Throne, the V ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread) (Turn Open)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:59:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Iron Throne, the V ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread) (Turn Open)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30
Author Topic: The Iron Throne, the V ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread) (Turn Open)  (Read 48641 times)
leonardothered
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: April 13, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »

How is it a reach? He's Viserys heir and regardless has men in Oldtown already, enough to overwhelm the whole city, not to Kenton Randyll Tarly just stomped them into the ground. There's nowhere else for them  to go in terms of immediate situation
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #576 on: April 13, 2017, 03:51:18 PM »

I mean come on:

Me: "Well, I have my 25,000 army + the Dorne army as I as the son of Elia Martell, I just landed in Oldtown in order to help you win the Reach, you know the area where you are struggling against Randyl Tarly and that the only thing that can make you win is our army."

Hightower: "Oh no, I think it is a bad idea, let's fight you and the Tarlys at the same time because this is so rationale to do that, let's make the Hightower great again" Smiley Smiley Smiley

I mean, I'm not a whiner so I won't make a scandal about that, but I mean, X getting the Riverland army with a free pass (which I support because I don't want to complicate things) should be more difficult for him than me getting the support of the Hightowers considering the recent events.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #577 on: April 13, 2017, 04:10:29 PM »

I'm not exactly leaping for joy at the prospect of taking over as sole Team Tommen player; I'm more than willing to do it if need be, but the interests of House Lannister and House Tarly aren't always going to be the same and it'd feel...wrong to not have a Lannister player. I suppose I set it up by getting myself named Hand, but I don't view the situation as ideal.

And why exactly (in-game) would Lysa Arryn be getting control of the Riverlands? It's not like Catelyn has DIED; she and her children are still the rulers of Riverrun. The Valelords have reasons for putting up with Lysa's insanity. But the Riverlanders? Not a chance they willingly put themselves under her yoke. I'd like that idea explained more thoroughly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #578 on: April 13, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2017, 04:21:42 PM by Fearless Leader X »

I mean come on:

Me: "Well, I have my 25,000 army + the Dorne army as I as the son of Elia Martell, I just landed in Oldtown in order to help you win the Reach, you know the area where you are struggling against Randyl Tarly and that the only thing that can make you win is our army."

Hightower: "Oh no, I think it is a bad idea, let's fight you and the Tarlys at the same time because this is so rationale to do that, let's make the Hightower great again" Smiley Smiley Smiley

I mean, I'm not a whiner so I won't make a scandal about that, but I mean, X getting the Riverland army with a free pass (which I support because I don't want to complicate things) should be more difficult for him than me getting the support of the Hightowers considering the recent events.

Not really, Catelyn is completely discredited and Lysa is the natural rallying point for the RiverLords of the remaining characters as you yourself agreed less than 24 hours ago Tongue  

Aegon is (like Lumine said) a complete unknown who can't just realistically expect to just magically win over everyone.  For all we know, he could easily be some smallfolk being passed off as a Targaryen and everyone thinks Aegon is dead.  If it's as common sense as you say, why not offer the Hightowers something for their loyalty Tongue

Unlike Aegon, Lysa has a strong, bloodline-based connection to the Riverlands (which is more than anyone else can say Tongue ).  With Catelyn done with politics, it'd go to Lysa by Westrosi law.  OTOH, you're kind of just saying you should get the Hightowers' loyalty because you landed there.  No offense, but I'm pretty sure Lysa objectively has a much stronger claim to The RiverLords loyalty than Aegon does to House Hightower's loyalty.

I'm not exactly leaping for joy at the prospect of taking over as sole Team Tommen player; I'm more than willing to do it if need be, but the interests of House Lannister and House Tarly aren't always going to be the same and it'd feel...wrong to not have a Lannister player. I suppose I set it up by getting myself named Hand, but I don't view the situation as ideal.

And why exactly (in-game) would Lysa Arryn be getting control of the Riverlands? It's not like Catelyn has DIED; she and her children are still the rulers of Riverrun. The Valelords have reasons for putting up with Lysa's insanity. But the Riverlanders? Not a chance they willingly put themselves under her yoke. I'd like that idea explained more thoroughly.

The Riverlanders don't know about Lysa's insanity Tongue  Catelyn's children have no claim to the Riverlands, btw.  Or rather, Lysa's would come ahead of their claim (Catelyn's children are Starks, not Tullys).  Given that for all intents and purposes as far as the game is concerned, Catelyn might as well be dead and has reached a game over, the Riverlands armies and control of the Riverlands itself would by rights go to Lysa for all our purposes (since leaving the Riverlands in disorganized stasis makes no sense, but I can see why a pro-Tommen player would want to take the Riverlands out of the game).  Of course, you knew that already and it's pretty obvious why you're trying to take the Riverlands out of the game Tongue

But if we're going to make questionable arguments to keep players from getting armies, surely letting a player switch from one character to a next mid-game the way Dereich has proposed sets a dubious precedent.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #579 on: April 13, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »

I mean come on:

Not really, Catelyn is completely discredited and Lysa is the natural rallying point for the RiverLords of the remaining characters as you yourself agreed less than 24 hours ago Tongue  

Aegon is (like Lumine said) a complete unknown who can't just realistically expect to just magically win over everyone.  For all we know, he could easily be some smallfolk being passed off as a Targaryen and everyone thinks Aegon is dead.  If it's as common sense as you say, why not offer the Hightowers something for their loyalty Tongue

Unlike Aegon, Lysa has a strong, bloodline-based connection to the Riverlands (which is more than anyone else can say Tongue ).  With Catelyn done with politics, it'd go to Lysa by Westrosi law.  OTOH, you're kind of just saying you should get the Hightowers' loyalty because you landed there.  No offense, but I'm pretty sure Lysa objectively has a much stronger claim to The RiverLords loyalty than Aegon does to House Hightower's loyalty.
Catelyn decided to stop being Regent of the North. She is still Lady Paramount of the Riverlands, and if she wasn't anymore, her children would become Lord/Lady of the Riverlands before Lysa would have this title.

And I claim the Hightower support because I was recognized as the Heir of Viserys, and that the Hightowers are literally beinfg heavily dependent of the Dorne-Targaryen if they ever want to take control of the Reach, a difficult scenario and impossible without Leonard/my help.

And for the record, you launching a full assault against the targaryen fleet made me laugh so much, so insane, so Lysa Tongue
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »

I mean come on:

Aegon is (like Lumine said) a complete unknown who can't just realistically expect to just magically win over everyone.  For all we know, he could easily be some smallfolk being passed off as a Targaryen and everyone thinks Aegon is dead.  If it's as common sense as you say, why not offer the Hightowers something for their loyalty Tongue

Unlike Aegon, Lysa has a strong, bloodline-based connection to the Riverlands (which is more than anyone else can say Tongue ).  With Catelyn done with politics, it'd go to Lysa by Westrosi law.  OTOH, you're kind of just saying you should get the Hightowers' loyalty because you landed there.  No offense, but I'm pretty sure Lysa objectively has a much stronger claim to The RiverLords loyalty than Aegon does to House Hightower's loyalty.

Catelyn is done with politics, but I can't imagine ANY circumstance where that'd mean she was giving up her (and thus her children's) claims to Riverrun. Besides that, the "natural rallying point of the Riverlords" isn't going to be Lysa (an at least half-mad woman who has been away for decades) it'd be the Blackfish (who is present, well-respected, and male). The question really is "why would the Blackfish obey his craaaazy niece's orders without question?"
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #581 on: April 13, 2017, 04:24:12 PM »

And this is precisely why I prefer having players for the key Houses...

I'll give it two days for anyone to appear.

If no one steps forward I'll grant the Lannisters and the Tullys to Dereich and X due to pragmatism, and post the turn on Saturday.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #582 on: April 13, 2017, 04:28:28 PM »

I mean come on:

Catelyn decided to stop being Regent of the North. She is still Lady Paramount of the Riverlands, and if she wasn't anymore, her children would become Lord/Lady of the Riverlands before Lysa would have this title.

And I claim the Hightower support because I was recognized as the Heir of Viserys, and that the Hightowers are literally beinfg heavily dependent of the Dorne-Targaryen if they ever want to take control of the Reach, a difficult scenario and impossible without Leonard/my help.

And for the record, you launching a full assault against the targaryen fleet made me laugh so much, so insane, so Lysa Tongue

Re: The bolded part: No offense, but some of this just comes across as semantic trolling.  It was pretty obvious that if the North revolted against her, she certainly had no pull left in the Riverlands.  Cat's kids are Starks, not Tullys so Lysa's claim comes before their claim.  It's like how Joffrey would've had no meaningful claim to Casterly Rock after Tywin died even though he's Cersei's son.

- Sounds like it shouldn't be hard for you to win over the Hightowers in negotiations then Tongue

- I'll have you know that the naval assault broke the Targaryen fleet.  Viserys attacked the Vale and where is he now?  Dead, that's where.  Any other Targaryens floating around would do well to remember that...

Tongue
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #583 on: April 13, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »

I mean come on:

Aegon is (like Lumine said) a complete unknown who can't just realistically expect to just magically win over everyone.  For all we know, he could easily be some smallfolk being passed off as a Targaryen and everyone thinks Aegon is dead.  If it's as common sense as you say, why not offer the Hightowers something for their loyalty Tongue

Unlike Aegon, Lysa has a strong, bloodline-based connection to the Riverlands (which is more than anyone else can say Tongue ).  With Catelyn done with politics, it'd go to Lysa by Westrosi law.  OTOH, you're kind of just saying you should get the Hightowers' loyalty because you landed there.  No offense, but I'm pretty sure Lysa objectively has a much stronger claim to The RiverLords loyalty than Aegon does to House Hightower's loyalty.

Catelyn is done with politics, but I can't imagine ANY circumstance where that'd mean she was giving up her (and thus her children's) claims to Riverrun. Besides that, the "natural rallying point of the Riverlords" isn't going to be Lysa (an at least half-mad woman who has been away for decades) it'd be the Blackfish (who is present, well-respected, and male). The question really is "why would the Blackfish obey his craaaazy niece's orders without question?"

Lysa has a stronger claim than the Blackfish or Catelyn's children though.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #584 on: April 13, 2017, 04:38:09 PM »

I mean come on:

Re: The bolded part: No offense, but some of this just comes across as semantic trolling.  It was pretty obvious that if the North revolted against her, she certainly had no pull left in the Riverlands.  Cat's kids are Starks, not Tullys so Lysa's claim comes before their claim.  It's like how Joffrey would've had no meaningful claim to Casterly Rock after Tywin died even though he's Cersei's son.

- Sounds like it shouldn't be hard for you to win over the Hightowers in negotiations then Tongue

- I'll have you know that the naval assault broke the Targaryen fleet.  Viserys attacked the Vale and where is he now?  Dead, that's where.  Any other Targaryens floating around would do well to remember that...

Tongue
It's sad to see that you genuinely believe I'm trolling. No offense, but it seems you don't understand how the laws of succession in Westeros work.
In the Riverlands, it follows Agnaco Cognatic (like in the rest of Westeros except for the targaryens, the dornish and the greyjoys). Catelyn is the lady paramount of the Riverlands as she was the oldest sister of Edmure that he had no other brothers and didn't have any children. Her children (Catelyn) would inherit first before her youngest sister Lysa.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #585 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:06 PM »

I mean come on:

Tongue

Come on. That's very clearly not how it works. The big Westerosi houses have lasted for thousands of years; they didn't do so by sticking religiously to only those with their name. Luckily, we have an example in the books: should Robert Arryn die, the Vale won't pass to the Arryns of Gulltown just because they have the same name, it'll pass to Harrold Hardyng, who would then officially become Harrold Arryn. Joffrey wouldn't have a claim to the Rock because holding multiple major titles would be difficult to administer and unpopular with the Lords Paramount. If it came to it, Joffrey would keep the IT and Tommen would get the Westerlands. In this case, Bran Stark would be Lord Paramount of the North and Rickon Tully would be named Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. That works with Arya or Sansa as well. Its even well-mentioned that the kids LOOK like Tullys and not Starks.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #586 on: April 13, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »

I will reenter as Jaime Lannister.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #587 on: April 13, 2017, 10:24:30 PM »

How on earth is Lysa's claim better when she is an Arryn and so is her son lol? If anything Catelyn and her children come before as they have heirs to spare, and Lysa's irregularities are known enough that Tyrion can remark on it. Either way Catelyn's claim is better... The Blackfish would come after and honestly rule the Riverlands in truth I reckon.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #588 on: April 13, 2017, 10:27:18 PM »

How on earth is Lysa's claim better when she is an Arryn and so is her son lol? If anything Catelyn and her children come before as they have heirs to spare, and Lysa's irregularities are known enough that Tyrion can remark on it. Either way Catelyn's claim is better... The Blackfish would come after and honestly rule the Riverlands in truth I reckon.

Catelyn forfeited her claim, but of course, that is a rather inconvenient truth for enemies of Edric's faction, I suppose.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #589 on: April 13, 2017, 10:35:32 PM »

? She surrendered control of the North, but not her claim. Even of that were true, her children still hold better claims as they can take the name Tully and there are far better odds of continuing the line than Lysa.

I'd wager some houses may be more predisposed to go over to Lysa and the Vale, but not many; Cat and Edmure are infinitely more likable and charismatic
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #590 on: April 13, 2017, 10:39:09 PM »

Also you're being peevish and assuming; why would the Riverlords loyalty waver from Edric in any case when they have followed him down the rabbit hole thus far? I think that course more likely for the Riverlords than supporting Aegon for instance

I would add however that few houses have done anything to actually relieve the Riverlords and aid them more than the Starks. The Royce's would follow on that list
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #591 on: April 13, 2017, 10:47:57 PM »
« Edited: April 13, 2017, 11:11:24 PM by Fearless Leader X »

Also you're being peevish and assuming; why would the Riverlords loyalty waver from Edric in any case when they have followed him down the rabbit hole thus far? I think that course more likely for the Riverlords than supporting Aegon for instance

I would add however that few houses have done anything to actually relieve the Riverlords and aid them more than the Starks. The Royce's would follow on that list

I apologize if I assumed ill intent where none existed (it's been a long day Sad ) although I do genuinely believe the RiverLords would gravitate to Lysa under the present circumstances, especially in places like Maidenpool, Raventree Hall, The Twins, and Riverrun.  The rest of the RiverLords might be a bit more reluctant, but they'd side with her initially and see how things went, I think.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #592 on: April 13, 2017, 11:11:49 PM »

I would assume this order of support; Blackfish, Edric, Catelyn and then Lysa. It would depend greatly on what the Blackfish did followed by Catelyn; Blackfish knows all about Lysa and readily abandoned her service to serve the Riverlands.

It all rests on the Blackfish, but I think we agree that regardless the Riverlords will splinter in multiple directions.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #593 on: April 13, 2017, 11:37:53 PM »

I would assume this order of support; Blackfish, Edric, Catelyn and then Lysa. It would depend greatly on what the Blackfish did followed by Catelyn; Blackfish knows all about Lysa and readily abandoned her service to serve the Riverlands.

It all rests on the Blackfish, but I think we agree that regardless the Riverlords will splinter in multiple directions.

The Blackfish left Lysa's service to fight the Lannisters Tongue  It was the neutrality that he objected to, not Lysa's mental state.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #594 on: April 14, 2017, 03:29:55 PM »

The Blackfish did indeed leave Lysa's service due to her isolationism argument with Catelyn in AGOT. I feel like it's not OOC for him to work with her now the Vale is involved
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #595 on: April 17, 2017, 02:27:36 AM »

Champing at my frosty bit! Any update on start of new turn?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #596 on: April 17, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »

Hmmmm... I probably need House Tully first. I really don't have the patience for three more pages on Westerosi inheritance law debates.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #597 on: April 17, 2017, 09:28:55 AM »

Hmmmm... I probably need House Tully first. I really don't have the patience for three more pages on Westerosi inheritance law debates.
Maybe it should remain NPC?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #598 on: April 17, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »

You could just give it to me Tongue

Even Windjammer said he wouldn't object as it was the simplest solution.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #599 on: April 17, 2017, 11:21:22 AM »

You could just give it to me Tongue

Even Windjammer said he wouldn't object as it was the simplest solution.
^^
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies