OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:52:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185073 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: November 15, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
« edited: November 15, 2017, 02:45:04 PM by BuckeyeNut »

Whaley already attacking Cordray.

https://twitter.com/mmurraypolitics/status/930877170792136704

I have a feeling no one is dropping out and Cordray is actually an underdog here.

Good. The problems with Cordray are many.

He's never been a great campaigner, and he's not a very inspiring speaker. I also suspect he'll be rusty after 7 years. He's JEB! like in this regard.

He's also affiliated with the Melissa Barnhart faction of the Democratic Party, which will undercut his support back in Franklin County, which should be his area of greatest support.

And I'm for one not convinced he's the guy who can win back Trump voters. Which, like or not, Democrats need to do in Ohio. I just see Cordray being hit with the same playbook Portman used against Strickland. People who aren't super into politics don't know what the CPFB is. He's got the appearance of a real Washington-insider, even if it's bullsh*t.

If Democrats want to win, they need someone who can't be labeled a Washington-insider and a failed politician. We need someone young and home-grown. This is why I support Joe Schiavoni as my number one choice for Governor, and Nan Whaley as my second choice.

--

All that said, Cordray will probably be the best fundraiser, and greatly benefits for name ID.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1001 on: November 15, 2017, 02:41:02 PM »

I have a feeling no one is dropping out and Cordray is actually an underdog here.
Aww I was hoping she run against Mike Turner.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1002 on: November 15, 2017, 02:43:47 PM »

Is Bill O'Neill a serious contender? I just looked him up and (at face value) I like what I see.

Nope. He'll be dropping out. Always said he would if Cordray got in. He's just a big attention hog.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1003 on: November 15, 2017, 02:46:07 PM »

He's never been a great campaigner, and he's not a very inspiring speaker. I also suspect he'll be rusty after 7 years. He's JEB! like in this regard.

He's also affiliated with the Melissa Barnhart faction of the Democratic Party, which will undercut his support back in Franklin County, which should be his area of greatest support.

And I'm for one not convinced he's the guy who can win back Trump voters. Which, like or not, Democrats need to do in Ohio. I just see Cordray being hit with the same playbook Portman used against Strickland. People who aren't super into politics don't know what the CPFB is. He's got the appearance of a real Washington-insider, even if it's bullsh*t.

If Democrats want to win, they need someone who can't be labeled a Washington-insider and a failed politician. We need someone young and home-grown. This is why I support Joe Schiavoni as my number one choice for Governor, and Nan Whaley as my second choice.

--

All that said, Cordray will probably be the best fundraiser, and greatly benefits for name ID.

Cordray in all likelihood will end up being another Strickland.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1004 on: November 15, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »

--

Cordray in all likelihood will end up being another Strickland.

Well, no. Cordray doesn't have the beginnings of dementia.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #1005 on: November 15, 2017, 04:08:54 PM »

And I had already given up on him running...

But I hope Cordray can ultimately pull it off. It would be great if OH had a Democratic governor for the next round of redistricting, as well as perhaps freeing up Sherrod Brown to run for president or VP in 2020 if we don't have to worry about losing his seat.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1006 on: November 15, 2017, 06:12:00 PM »

You have to be a huge cuck to change your username to #Never<Politician>. You lose your identity and quite frankly, no one cares.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1007 on: November 15, 2017, 06:50:58 PM »

Signatures are better turned off.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1008 on: November 15, 2017, 08:27:27 PM »

You have to be a huge cuck to change your username to #Never<Politician>. You lose your identity and quite frankly, no one cares.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1009 on: November 16, 2017, 07:27:01 AM »

I for one am absolutely shocked beyond belief that Cordray is entering the race, had he done so 5 months ago they probably would have cleared the field for him and he'd be walking into the general election, at this juncture it is too late. Congrats Cordray you cost yourself millions of dollars, union endorsements, and possibly the primary by waiting till way too late to jump in
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1010 on: November 16, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 08:07:52 AM by Cucks Against Cordray »

Proof of Cordray being an absolute bore.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know a lot of people have a boner for life imitating art re: TD's timeline, but it's highly unlikely.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1011 on: November 16, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »

Triage Ohio.

The rest are still winnable by Democrats.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1012 on: November 16, 2017, 09:00:10 AM »

--

Is it possible he takes a few cues from the populist wing? Y'know, the whole 'defending the consumer from corporations' thing?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1013 on: November 16, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 09:13:29 AM by We Have A Pope »

Proof of Cordray being an absolute bore.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know a lot of people have a boner for life imitating art re: TD's timeline, but it's highly unlikely.

Cordrey is a pretty boring speaker, I won't argue with you there.  However, he's a very smart guy who'd be a great Governor, is very much in it for the right reasons, is extremely popular with Franklin County voters of all stripes, is one of the only candidates running who has demonstrated real crossover appeal in prior elections against against a strong opponent (Pillich being the other one), has far better name ID than any of the Democrats currently running, and shouldn't have to rely too much on the ODP for fundraising (I assume).  

That all being said, I would definitely prefer Schiavoni (who I agree has greater chance of winning back the types of voters we need to win this election although I don't think Cordrey is a paper tiger so much as a solid candidate whom some OH Dems in their desperation have made out to be the savior of the ODP which is ridiculous) and was very annoyed by Cordrey's Hamlet routine.  The time to decide whether he was running was months ago and he shouldn't have been strongly implying to everyone that he wasn't going to run for anything again.  That said, if it ends up looking like Cordrey is the only one who can stop Sutton, I'll definitely vote for him in the primary because Sutton is far and away the weakest Democratic candidate running.  Hopefully Schiavoni gets nominated though and on the bright side, this also means Leland probably won't take an LG spot with Sutton.  I'd much rather see Leland run for something statewide either in 2018 or 2022 than hitch himself to Sutton's doomed gubernatorial candidacy.  

Of course, this assumes that DeWine wins the GOP primary.  If Husted wins, and I suspect he will, then we're gonna lose no matter who we nominate.  Oh and I agree with Rjjr77 that Cordrey really shot himself in the foot by waiting so long.  My guess is he wasn't planning to run at all until the VA election earlier this month; it's the only explanation I can come up with aside from pure incompetence and whatever you want to say about Cordrey, the man certainly isn't dumb or incompetent.

I tend to agree regarding the Governor's race, but we still want someone strong enough here not to hurt us downticket (i.e. someone besides Sutton) since we have a really good shot at picking up the AG and Auditor's offices.  Additionally, if 2018 is a big enough wave, we could potentially pick up the SoS office although that's certainly a heavier lift.  In Ohio, several of the statewide offices have seats on the state's redistricting commission so it's not impossible to have a situation where one party controls the legislature, but the other party draws the new legislative and congressional maps.  In fact, it actually happened in the '92 redistricting IIRÇ.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1014 on: November 16, 2017, 10:11:55 AM »

Jesus H Christ, Ohio Democrats must be the most miserable people in the country to be around

I'm an Ohio Democrat and a Cleveland sports fan, I wake up each morning with a smile.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1015 on: November 16, 2017, 11:02:32 AM »

Ohio is winnable. Even if Ohio has permanently shifted to 10 points republican in 2016(which I doubt), our generic ballot lead is some 12 points on average nationally.

Ohio is winnable with Cordray. Smiley Smiley Smiley
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1016 on: November 16, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »

Jesus H Christ, Ohio Democrats must be the most miserable people in the country to be around

I'm an Ohio Democrat and a Cleveland sports fan, I wake up each morning with a smile.

Enjoy the Cordray stans on atlas for the next 6+ months. I’m sure you’ll love them just as much as I loved berniebros during the primaries.

Maybe. It's anecdotal, but I can count the number of Ohioans excited about Cordray on one hand. And two are Melissa Barnhart people, one of whom was actually working for Zack Scott. So, meh.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1017 on: November 16, 2017, 11:39:03 AM »

Enjoy the Cordray stans on atlas for the next 6+ months. I’m sure you’ll love them just as much as I loved berniebros during the primaries.

Maybe. It's anecdotal, but I can count the number of Ohioans excited about Cordray on one hand. And two are Melissa Barnhart people, one of whom was actually working for Zack Scott. So, meh.

What region of Ohio are you in?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1018 on: November 16, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »

What region of Ohio are you in?

Central -- Cordray's home region.

That said, Cordray managed to outperform Strickland in his home county of Franklin, and the neighboring Delaware, back in 2010. But that was pre-Barnhart implosion.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1019 on: November 16, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »

Barnhart is the worst.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1020 on: November 16, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »

It's starting to make sense why Badger is a Republican. lol
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1021 on: November 16, 2017, 09:22:56 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 09:26:26 PM by Badger »

It's starting to make sense why Badger is a Republican. lol

LOLOLOL! Cheesy

Oh, and I can tell you first hand from when I was a Democrat:

"This politician, while universally considered intelligent, has a speaking style duller than dishwater."

"Alex, who is Rick Cordray?"
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1022 on: November 16, 2017, 11:00:25 PM »

It's not as if Ohio Democrats are without hope. People feel good about Space and Dettelbach, and maybe Cordray will surprise. Part of being an Ohio Democrat -- and a Cleveland sports fan -- is believing something better is around the corner, despite a losing streak. It's why I wake up with a smile.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1023 on: November 16, 2017, 11:15:46 PM »

It's not as if Ohio Democrats are without hope. People feel good about Space and Dettelbach, and maybe Cordray will surprise. Part of being an Ohio Democrat -- and a Cleveland sports fan -- is believing something better is around the corner, despite a losing streak. It's why I wake up with a smile.

Clyde could win too if the wave is big enough.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1024 on: November 16, 2017, 11:17:57 PM »

Clyde could win too if the wave is big enough.

Could. Treasurer is the thing I feel worst about, and it seems very unlikely another Democrat gets in since 1) it's super late, and 2) it seems like Pepper explicitly recruited Richardson himself.

Who knows. Maybe he'll boost minority turnout up ticket.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies