OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:32:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185254 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: November 29, 2017, 09:10:05 PM »

Not even popular more like unknown, last time he was on the ballot was 2010 as AG and he lost. Hasn't been involved with OH politics ever since and with the way people view Washington these days I'm not sure his time there is a good thing no matter what he did.

The one benefit he has is that despite the DC job, Cordray came home every weekend.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1101 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:58 PM »

Sigh, at this point Dems just need to hope to not get blown out too much in the Governor race too much that it dooms Brown.

Overreaction?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1102 on: November 29, 2017, 10:21:28 PM »

Honestly I'd be more afraid if it was the other way around (Husted, a very strong political operator, on top, and DeWine, the elder statesman, on bottom), but still this is a tough ticket.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1103 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2017, 10:56:20 PM by Cucks Against Cordray »

Dispatch confirms the DeWine/Husted team up. Also confirms Cordray to announce no later than the end of next week.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1104 on: November 29, 2017, 11:40:13 PM »

Only on Atlas will you find people that think an open Ohio gubernatorial race is safe R and an Alabama Senate election is lean/likely D, lol.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1105 on: November 29, 2017, 11:53:18 PM »

Only on Atlas will you find people that think an open Ohio gubernatorial race is safe R and an Alabama Senate election is lean/likely D, lol.

Of that states Democrats not named Hillary Clinton or Robby Mook don't write off at the start, Ohio is the state Democrats should be most worried about making gains in next year. Georgia, which has long been fool's gold, looks better.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1106 on: November 30, 2017, 12:23:29 AM »

Of that states Democrats not named Hillary Clinton or Robby Mook don't write off at the start, Ohio is the state Democrats should be most worried about making gains in next year. Georgia, which has long been fool's gold, looks better.

I agree with you there. I think this race is lean R, maybe even likely R. But if 2018 ends up being a super hyper overwhelming unfathomable massive unprecedented Democratic tsunami where they win the Alabama and Texas Senate races and 100+ House races like many here seem to think, then Cordray probably will win despite the weird hate boner you all have for him.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1107 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:02 AM »

I could easily see a DeWine/Husted ticket winning by a lot, and Brown winning by a lot. Josh Mandel simply is not a very strong candidate.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1108 on: November 30, 2017, 12:29:13 AM »

I agree with you there. I think this race is lean R, maybe even likely R. But if 2018 ends up being a super hyper overwhelming unfathomable massive unprecedented Democratic tsunami where they win the Alabama and Texas Senate races and 100+ House races like many here seem to think, then Cordray probably will win despite the weird hate boner you all have for him.

Hah. Hate boner. My feelings on Cordray are more mixed than my Atlas persona lets on.

I think Cordray would do a great job as Governor, but he seems to be a real bore on the trail. And we saw how that worked out with Hillary.

I also think entering so late is going to cost serious money come the general. You have 4 candidates who, although they may not be as well known, are still fairly serious and have been campaigning for the better part of the year. Expecting them to clear out now is foolish.

And as good a job Cordray's done at the CFPB, I just see the OH GOP resurrecting Rob's playbook against Ted. Failed politician, Washington insider. Not a fair allegation, but it's got a lot of potential. Cordray benefits from name ID and, presumably, financial ties, but I'd prefer running someone younger and local. Because the Rob playbook scares me.

Also, like it or not, we need to win back some Trump voters for Democrats to win in Ohio, and given the Rob playbook, I don't think Cordray is the one who can do that. I think we need someone young, who's not been off to Washington. That's why I like Joe Schiavoni and Nan Whaley.

I understand Atlas has a weird obsession with Cordray as some white knight thanks to TD's timeline and his heretofore scarily accurate predictions, but Cordray is not some savior for Ohio Democrats.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1109 on: November 30, 2017, 12:40:41 AM »

Hah. Hate boner. My feelings on Cordray are more mixed than my Atlas persona lets on.

I think Cordray would do a great job as Governor, but he seems to be a real bore on the trail. And we saw how that worked out with Hillary.

I also think entering so late is going to cost serious money come the general. You have 4 candidates who, although they may not be as well known, are still fairly serious and have been campaigning for the better part of the year. Expecting them to clear out now is foolish.

And as good a job Cordray's done at the CFPB, I just see the OH GOP resurrecting Rob's playbook against Ted. Failed politician, Washington insider. Not a fair allegation, but it's got a lot of potential. Cordray benefits from name ID and, presumably, financial ties, but I'd prefer running someone younger and local. Because the Rob playbook scares me.

Also, like it or not, we need to win back some Trump voters for Democrats to win in Ohio, and given the Rob playbook, I don't think Cordray is the one who can do that. I think we need someone young, who's not been off to Washington. That's why I like Joe Schiavoni and Nan Whaley.

I understand Atlas has a weird obsession with Cordray as some white knight thanks to TD's timeline and his heretofore scarily accurate predictions, but Cordray is not some savior for Ohio Democrats.

I'm not sure if the last sentence was aimed at me or not, but I don't see him as a uniquely good or bad candidate. I think he's decent and probably better than the rest of the field which seems pretty pitiful. All I'm saying is that if Democrats can win TX/AL and tons of safe R House races, then Cordray can easily win too. Despite his supposed "unbeatable titan" opponents of Mike "Blanched in 2006" DeWine and Jon "stop the blacks from voting" Husted.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1110 on: November 30, 2017, 12:47:36 AM »

I'm not sure if the last sentence was aimed at me or not, but I don't see him as a uniquely good or bad candidate. I think he's decent and probably better than the rest of the field which seems pretty pitiful. All I'm saying is that if Democrats can win TX/AL and tons of safe R House races, then Cordray can easily win too. Despite his supposed "unbeatable titan" opponents of Mike "Blanched in 2006" DeWine and Jon "stop the blacks from voting" Husted.

Nah, the last sentence was not aimed at you.

As much as I love Beto O'Rourke and Doug Jones, they're both in strenuously uphill situations that cannot be compared to the one Ohio Democratss are in. (As I said, "Of that states Democrats ... don't write off at the start, Ohio is the state Democrats should be most worried about making gains in next year.") The upside to DeWine/Husted is that it's not Husted/DeWine. Republicans might paint Cordray as some swamp monster, but that's DeWine to a T.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1111 on: November 30, 2017, 12:51:03 AM »

It's spelled Baeto O'Rourke
ibagli
United States

« Reply #1112 on: November 30, 2017, 02:25:49 AM »

Husted must be the highest-profile running mate since the ticket system started. I think Lee Fisher and Mary Taylor are the only other ones who'd ever been elected statewide, and Fisher was twelve years out of office and Taylor was just the auditor.

I wonder just how bad his numbers were that he thought this demotion was the only way to stay around.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1113 on: November 30, 2017, 08:25:20 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2017, 09:16:01 AM by Cucks Against Cordray »

Yeah, it probably is the strongest in history. Not that the joint election of Governor and Lieutenant is a long-standing tradition. Less than 10 cycles at this point, including 2018. It also really speaks to how Taylor's star power has tarnished. Getting elected convincingly in 2006 was no small achievement. I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again -- she should have just run for Renacci's seat.

Is the CFPB drama going to affect Cordray's chances in Ohio?

Had he been fired, I think he would’ve gotten the Sally Yates/Preet Bharara hero treatment. Now, he may come off as more of an opportunist that helped create the current mess.

*Ding* *Ding* *Ding*

Meant to address this last night, but the sad thing about this is, given the chance, Trump would have just gone and fired Cordray the day after the filing deadline. Because unlike Yates or Bharara, Cordray had clear aspirations to run for office.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1114 on: November 30, 2017, 09:17:45 AM »

Jerry Springer has officially ruled himself out as a Gubernatorial candidate.

(Shocking almost no one.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1115 on: November 30, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »

Yeah, it probably is the strongest in history. Not that the joint election of Governor and Lieutenant is a long-standing tradition. Less than 10 cycles at this point, including 2018. It also really speaks to how Taylor's star power has tarnished. Getting elected convincingly in 2006 was no small achievement. I've said it before, and I'll likely say it again -- she should have just run for Renacci's seat.

Had he been fired, I think he would’ve gotten the Sally Yates/Preet Bharara hero treatment. Now, he may come off as more of an opportunist that helped create the current mess.

*Ding* *Ding* *Ding*

Meant to address this last night, but the sad thing about this is, given the chance, Trump would have just gone and fired Cordray the day after the filing deadline. Because unlike Yates or Bharara, Cordray had clear aspirations to run for office.

Re: Taylor: IIRC she barely won in 2006.

Re: The Republican ticket: At least the DeWine/Husted ticket probably won't have significant coattails in the row-office races.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1116 on: November 30, 2017, 09:48:17 AM »

*Ding* *Ding* *Ding*

Re: Taylor: IIRC she barely won in 2006.

Re: The Republican ticket: At least the DeWine/Husted ticket probably won't have significant coattails in the row-office races.

It was a very narrow win, but a win all the same. Strickland cleared 60%, and most of the down-ticket Dems did fairly damn well. I'm curious as to how you figure the joint ticket wouldn't have strong coattails.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1117 on: November 30, 2017, 12:27:51 PM »

Why did Husted do this? I thought he had a good shot at winning the Republican primary.

And yeah, I think Husted/DeWine would have been a lot better for Rs.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1118 on: November 30, 2017, 01:01:44 PM »

Why did Husted do this? I thought he had a good shot at winning the Republican primary.

And yeah, I think Husted/DeWine would have been a lot better for Rs.

It would’ve been and Husted’s people are really pissed, few in his campaign were told about it before the story broke.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1119 on: November 30, 2017, 04:03:07 PM »
« Edited: November 30, 2017, 04:05:52 PM by 136or142 »

My first thought was how much this ticket sounds like the yell at the end of the B52's song "Love Shack":  "tin roof rusted."
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1120 on: November 30, 2017, 04:06:25 PM »

So apparently Lieutenant Governor Taylor is still staying in the race per the announcement.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1121 on: November 30, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »

So apparently Lieutenant Governor Taylor is still staying in the race per the announcement.

Something of a surprise, really.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1122 on: November 30, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

Taylor and Renacci should make a similar deal.

If you ask me, I think Husted’s angling for a Senate seat and figures this will hurt him less.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1123 on: November 30, 2017, 09:28:14 PM »

If you ask me, I think Husted’s angling for a Senate seat and figures this will hurt him less.

Nope
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1124 on: November 30, 2017, 09:42:31 PM »

Nope

Husted might be angling for a Senate seat down the line, but yeah, no. Taylor and Renacci should not and will not team up.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies