OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:38:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185028 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: December 01, 2017, 12:29:33 AM »

Taylor and Renacci should make a similar deal.

If you ask me, I think Husted’s angling for a Senate seat and figures this will hurt him less.

Nope

Husted might be angling for a Senate seat down the line, but yeah, no. Taylor and Renacci should not and will not team up.
I thought Husted's long-term hope was to serve two terms as governor, and then replace Portman in 2028.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #1126 on: December 01, 2017, 01:09:26 AM »

Bad move. Husted could/would of won the primary.  I think DeWine is more vulnerable in the general. 

If Cordray turns out to have learned something from his past statewide defeats i could easily see him winning.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1127 on: December 01, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »

Taylor and Renacci should make a similar deal.

If you ask me, I think Husted’s angling for a Senate seat and figures this will hurt him less.

Nope

Husted might be angling for a Senate seat down the line, but yeah, no. Taylor and Renacci should not and will not team up.

I think if he really wanted that he’d have switched to the Senate race instead of being DeWine’s LG.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1128 on: December 01, 2017, 01:02:51 PM »

The Lieutenent Governorship is a weird thing. Republicans usually do a good job of picking higher profile individuals for the slot, and then running them down the line. Though if they stay in the spot for too long, it seems to stagnate their careers (see: Nancy Hollister, probably Mary Taylor). Democrats, meanwhile, have fallen into a trend of picking nobodies for some time, with the notable exception of Lee Fisher in 2006.

On a semi-related note, I'd really love for Whaley and Schiavoni to team up a la DeWine and Husted. But it's not going to happen. No one's going to budge before the filing deadline, though O'Neill should backout once Cordray announced next week.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1129 on: December 02, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »

Comparatively low profile news compared to the DeWine/Husted team up and Cordray's imminent entry, but Franklin County Commissioner Marilyn Brown endorsed Sutton earlier this week. Pretty surprising given Cordray's imminent entry and Franklin County is Cordray's geographic base.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #1130 on: December 03, 2017, 04:07:26 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2017, 06:28:38 PM by Chris B »

So it doesn't appear that any of the other Democratic candidates are going to drop out due to Cordray entering? I feel the ideal situation would be for Sutton and Whaley to switch over to the House races in OH-16 and OH-10 respectively, and for Schiavoni to join the ticket as Cordray's LG candidate.  But that probably isn't likely.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1131 on: December 04, 2017, 02:12:30 AM »

So it doesn't appear that any of the other Democratic candidates are going to drop out due to Cordray entering? I feel the ideal situation would be for Sutton and Whaley to switch over to the House races in OH-16 and OH-10 respectively, and for Schiavoni to join the ticket as Cordray's LG candidate.  But that probably isn't likely.

Considering all but one of them (Pillich? I honestly forget) took swings at him when he resigned CFPB, it looks like all of them are in it until they run out of money.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1132 on: December 04, 2017, 12:41:31 PM »

Sutton's the only one who didn't take a swipe at Cordray, and that's because her base is the one that most aligns with Sutton. Many a Sutton supporter I know was only #WithHer because it looked like Cordray wasn't running. (This was somewhat reflected in her poor mid-year fundraising haul, despite being the apparent frontrunner.)

Democrats nominating two white dudes to counter the GOP's two white dudes is an awful idea, as much as I love Schiavoni. If Cordray decides to double down on his base by choosing Sutton -- who could conceivably agree -- to be his running mate, that wouldn't be half bad.
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1133 on: December 04, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »

So Cordray apparently should be making his announcement on Tuesday per cleveland.com
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #1134 on: December 04, 2017, 02:37:14 PM »

So Cordray apparently should be making his announcement on Tuesday per cleveland.com

and so the Saga begins.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1135 on: December 04, 2017, 03:09:11 PM »

Huh, I could probably make that announcement if I knew the time. Oh well.

--

Unrelated: Theory swirling that since DeWine will be 72 by the time of the 2019 inauguration, he promised Husted to only serve one term in exchange for the team up.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1136 on: December 04, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »

--

Unrelated: Theory swirling that since DeWine will be 72 by the time of the 2019 inauguration, he promised Husted to only serve one term in exchange for the team up.

this appears to be the prevailing thought. Many in Ohio are shocked by the news, since most thought Husted would emerge victorious from the primary, however with financial and other concerns it may be that he decided this was a bad year to have a bloody primary.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1137 on: December 04, 2017, 03:46:48 PM »

--

this appears to be the prevailing thought. Many in Ohio are shocked by the news, since most thought Husted would emerge victorious from the primary, however with financial and other concerns it may be that he decided this was a bad year to have a bloody primary.

I’ve heard that too
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #1138 on: December 04, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »

*stops by*

I would like to say I called this a year ago while 3/4 of you said Cordray would not run. Thank you in advance.

*leaves*
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1139 on: December 04, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »

*stops by*

I would like to say I called this a year ago while 3/4 of you said Cordray would not run. Thank you in advance.

*leaves*

And had Northam not won by so much, you’d have been wrong.  Lucky guesses are just what they sound like (no offense).  Anyway, the extent to which Cordray blew entering the race is remarkable.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #1140 on: December 04, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »

*stops by*

*leaves*

And had Northam not won by so much, you’d have been wrong.  Lucky guesses are just what they sound like (no offense).  Anyway, the extent to which Cordray blew entering the race is remarkable.

lol
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1141 on: December 04, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »

*stops by*

*leaves*

Lucky guesses my ass, he's a timelord, show him the respect he deserves.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1142 on: December 04, 2017, 07:13:22 PM »

A lot of these people have been campaigning for nearly a year, raising money, traveling across the state, participated in debates etc. Its ridiculous to expect them to just drop out for a guy whose been in Washington the past five years and done nothing for the state party.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1143 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »

Please no. Any chance Cordray loses the Democratic primary?

Unless the race narrow to just him and Betty, or just him and Nan, not really, no.
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1144 on: December 05, 2017, 11:14:20 AM »

And Cordray has officially announced his run for Governor. He apparently has his campaign announcement video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qTPrmd74RE
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1145 on: December 05, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »

I'm coming around to Cordray, mostly because I think it's somewhat inevitable he gets the nod, but I still like Schiavoni and Whaley better. The video's only energy comes from the music. Cordray sounds bored.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1146 on: December 05, 2017, 11:26:42 AM »

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1147 on: December 05, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »

CuckeyeNut is going to come around to Daddy Rich some day.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1148 on: December 05, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »

Well he's finally in, and so it begins
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon