OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:21:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185011 times)
SamTilden2020

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: December 05, 2017, 12:34:23 PM »

I hope Cordray loses, just so y'all don't see TD as an all-knowing Election God.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1151 on: December 05, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »

i actually do think there is a chance Cordray doesn't win the primary. It'll be interesting to say the least
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1152 on: December 05, 2017, 01:25:15 PM »

i actually do think there is a chance Cordray doesn't win the primary. It'll be interesting to say the least

What's the path you're seeing? I'm assuming no one drops out -- aside from O'Neill -- and a split field all but guarantees Cordray's nomination.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #1153 on: December 05, 2017, 02:29:04 PM »

Been waiting for 7 years to see Cordray finish what happened against DeWine. I hope Cordray defeats DeWine and begins to rebuild the old Democratic coalition in OH in the Appalachian Southeast and the industrial northeast.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1154 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:43 PM »

Been waiting for 7 years to see Cordray finish what happened against DeWine. I hope Cordray defeats DeWine and begins to rebuild the old Democratic coalition in OH in the Appalachian Southeast and the industrial northeast.

Cordray only lost by a point against DeWine because there was a Constitution and a Libertarian party candidate who both claimed ~3% of the vote. Cordray's okay, but he's not some white knight who is going to save Ohio, and there's no reason to think he'll play better in the Appalachian Southeast than the average Democrat.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1155 on: December 05, 2017, 03:15:37 PM »

What's the path you're seeing? I'm assuming no one drops out -- aside from O'Neill -- and a split field all but guarantees Cordray's nomination.

If Sutton/Schaivoni combine it could cause problems for Cordray
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1156 on: December 05, 2017, 03:54:52 PM »

If Sutton/Schaivoni combine it could cause problems for Cordray

The odds of that seem super low. If anything, Sutton joining Cordray's ticket seems more likely. (Remember, the filing deadline is in early February.) Though, that said, I agree Sutton/Schiavoni would be strong. IIRC, ~40% of Ohio's Democratic primary voters live in NEOH, and between the two of them, they'd clean up well.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1157 on: December 05, 2017, 04:46:57 PM »

The anti-Cordray hate is disgusting. Republicans are already trying to smear him for fighting for consumers and Main Street against them and Wall Street IN WASHINGTON DC(OOOGA BOOGA!!!). But Cordray is great and will be a great Governor, maybe even a future President(Warren's successor?)
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1158 on: December 05, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »

The announcement video seemed pretty... flat.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1159 on: December 05, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »

What I've been saying, folks. But Ohio has a lot of low energy politicians, and that includes DeWine.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1160 on: December 06, 2017, 12:11:07 AM »

Cordray is going to get beaten to a bloody pulp in Appalachia. Appalachia Ohio is gone to the dems completely. If he regains the losses along the lake and in Mahoning valley while holding D gains in Columbus suburbs and Hamilton county he'll win, but the ohio Appalachia dem coalition is dead and buried under mountains of coal and fracking materials.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1161 on: December 06, 2017, 12:13:52 AM »

What I've been saying, folks. But Ohio has a lot of low energy politicians, and that includes DeWine.

The only high energy folks in this field (aside from the occasionally hilarious mary taylor quip) were Husted (now gone) and the too green Nan Whaley. Schiavoni has a competent star quality to him, but he's not going to whip the crowd into a frenzy anytime soon.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1162 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »

Cordray is going to get beaten to a bloody pulp in Appalachia. Appalachia Ohio is gone to the dems completely. If he regains the losses along the lake and in Mahoning valley while holding D gains in Columbus suburbs and Hamilton county he'll win, but the ohio Appalachia dem coalition is dead and buried under mountains of coal and fracking materials.

I wouldn't be quite so sure it's dead forever, especially post-Obama. Though I doubt it turns up for Cordray. Lou Gentile kept it close out there last year, despite utter destruction at the top of the ticket, and Zack Space is going into the Auditor's race with the United Mine Worker's support as something of a pro-coal Democrat. Gentile also had the UMW on his side, IIRC. Just not Strickland.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #1163 on: December 06, 2017, 07:58:28 AM »

Proof of Cordray being an absolute bore.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I know a lot of people have a boner for life imitating art re: TD's timeline, but it's highly unlikely.

Looking forward to bumping this on January 20, 2025
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1164 on: December 06, 2017, 08:11:15 AM »

I know a lot of people have a boner for life imitating art re: TD's timeline, but it's highly unlikely.

Me too but not looking forward to the continued Trump/Pence presidencies through then lol
Rjjr77
« Reply #1165 on: December 06, 2017, 08:19:29 AM »

I wouldn't be quite so sure it's dead forever, especially post-Obama. Though I doubt it turns up for Cordray. Lou Gentile kept it close out there last year, despite utter destruction at the top of the ticket, and Zack Space is going into the Auditor's race with the United Mine Worker's support as something of a pro-coal Democrat. Gentile also had the UMW on his side, IIRC. Just not Strickland.

Gentile saw a 10 point swing in his district, and lost by over 5 points. Zack Space can get carried by the ticket and may do slightly better down there but even then hes going to lose there.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1166 on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »

Gentile saw a 10 point swing in his district, and lost by over 5 points. Zack Space can get carried by the ticket and may do slightly better down there but even then hes going to lose there.

Gentile won the 30th with 52% of the vote in 2012 as Obama lost it with ~48% of the vote, and then lost it with 47% of the vote as Clinton lost it with ~33% of the vote. (Closer to a 15 point swing.) Lou lost, but his showing proves the right kind of Democrat can still do well down there, especially with proper investment. Do I expect the Democrats to start winning in Meigs County? Hell no. Can we make Belmont, Jefferson, and Monroe Counties competitive again? We damn well better.

If Cordray loses, I'm right. If he wins, we've got a Democratic governor. It's a win-win situation for me.
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1167 on: December 06, 2017, 11:36:23 AM »

So apparently with Cordray starting off his campaign in Cincinnati, both P.G. Sittenfeld and Aftab Pureval have endorsed him for Governor, with former Representative Steve Driehaus also endorsing him.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1168 on: December 06, 2017, 02:13:12 PM »

He's also earned Warren's endorsement.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #1169 on: December 06, 2017, 02:56:54 PM »

YES. Now we have a bunch of good dems running. I'd be fine with him, Schiavoni, Pillich, or Sutton.
King Lear
Russian Federation

« Reply #1170 on: December 06, 2017, 06:42:47 PM »

I hope Richard cordray wins, he would make a great governor for Ohio and as TD has gone into, would make a great presidential nominee once trumps off the ballot. I believe he has overwhelming odds to be the gobernatorial nominee his biggest hurdle will be winning the governorship in a state that’s trending fast to the republicans.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1171 on: December 06, 2017, 08:16:25 PM »

Preach.
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1172 on: December 06, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »

So uh, apparently Cincinnati City Councilwoman Amy Murray is apparently supposed to be named as Renacci's running mate, with it being reported here: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics-extra/2017/12/06/px-amy-murray-poised-join-trump-aligned-ohio-gsets-her-sights-columbus-plans-jump-into-statewide-rac/928655001/
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #1173 on: December 07, 2017, 02:22:51 AM »
« Edited: December 07, 2017, 02:30:23 AM by Cal »

"Murray also had been considered as a running mate for both Attorney General Mike DeWine and Secretary of State Jon Husted. But Murray saw her chances of being part of an establishment ticket eliminated last week, when Husted dropped out of the governor's race to become DeWine's running mate."

I'm not familiar with Ohio politics: What makes Murray such an attractive potential Lt. Governor? I understand trying to find someone with Cinci appeal, but she's just a City Councillor and barely won reelection last year and previously lost it in a past election?
Usili
Rookie

« Reply #1174 on: December 07, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »

And apparently O'Neill is resigning from the Ohio Supreme Court to stay in: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/politics/2017/12/07/ohio-supreme-court-justice-bill/929930001/
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies