OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:38:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185161 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1725 on: May 16, 2018, 08:41:56 PM »

Updated prediction map for post-primary. Currently, only one D-held seat isn't completely safe, and it's the one in Ashtabula County.

In my estimation, candidate recruitment was goofed in the 55th (Lean R seat in Lorain County); 92nd (Likely R seat just south of Franklin County); all three of the R held seats in Cuyahoga County (6th, 7th, and 16th); as well as the 5th (Columbiana County); and the 23rd (the one Likely R seat in Franklin County).

Largely agreed. What's wrong with Phil Robinson though? I don't understand the Columbus area so I don't know what they like.

Side note, I like your new signature and generally feel the same way.

Absolutely pitiful fundraising. He didn't even raise $2,000 in Q1 of 2018. He's also tried and failed before -- he couldn't even break 40% in OH-06 in 2016. Harris in the 23rd also raised under $2,000, but his Republican opponent also raised pretty bad money and Harris almost got as many raw votes in the primary as his opponent. Less than 700 votes difference.

And thanks!
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1726 on: May 19, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »

Please, PLEASE Let this be real.  DeWine is freaking doomed if this is anywhere near correct, especially on Trump Voters.  If Cordray is flipping the Trump Voters in NE OH and Appalachia, as well as holding Hillary Rs in the Cincinatti and Columbus Suburbs, it'll be a rout.

Yikes at that swing in Trump approval though. 44-52 below to 48-47 above water :/
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1727 on: May 20, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »

I don’t buy for a second Trump was ever 44-52 in Ohio. Trump being +1 is pretty decent, and I’m honestly  surprised he isnt higher.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1728 on: May 20, 2018, 06:01:22 PM »

I don’t buy for a second Trump was ever 44-52 in Ohio. Trump being +1 is pretty decent, and I’m honestly  surprised he isnt higher.
Trump is popular in Ohio?!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1729 on: May 20, 2018, 10:25:46 PM »

I don’t buy for a second Trump was ever 44-52 in Ohio. Trump being +1 is pretty decent, and I’m honestly  surprised he isnt higher.
Trump is popular in Ohio?!
Not popular in any of the big cities, obviously, but he's probably only a little less popular than he is in Indiana.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1730 on: May 21, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »

Ryan Smith, former Speaker Rosenberger's heir apparent, leads the votes to become the next Speaker of the House, but can't break the necessary 50 votes due to Republican infighting. A special, and seemingly unconstitutional, meeting of the General Assembly has been called for tomorrow to elect a new Speaker, but both anti-Smith Republicans and Democrats are likely to protest.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #1731 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:00 PM »

Please, PLEASE Let this be real.  DeWine is freaking doomed if this is anywhere near correct, especially on Trump Voters.  If Cordray is flipping the Trump Voters in NE OH and Appalachia, as well as holding Hillary Rs in the Cincinatti and Columbus Suburbs, it'll be a rout.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1732 on: May 22, 2018, 02:23:13 AM »

Ryan Smith, former Speaker Rosenberger's heir apparent, leads the votes to become the next Speaker of the House, but can't break the necessary 50 votes due to Republican infighting. A special, and seemingly unconstitutional, meeting of the General Assembly has been called for tomorrow to elect a new Speaker, but both anti-Smith Republicans and Democrats are likely to protest.

Have there been any rumors of Democrats crossing the aisle to play kingmaker with one of the more reasonable republicans? Or is there A) no such option B ) no such interest on one side or another or C) both?

Thinking of New Hampshire as an example of this occurring in the past.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1733 on: May 22, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »

Have there been any rumors of Democrats crossing the aisle to play kingmaker with one of the more reasonable republicans? Or is there A) no such option B ) no such interest on one side or another or C) both?

Thinking of New Hampshire as an example of this occurring in the past.

Bill Patmon, who frequently votes with Republicans, claims he's been approached by Team Smith, and says he might vote for him, but the rest of the caucus is refusing to throw their support to any of the Republican candidates for Speaker.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1734 on: May 23, 2018, 12:46:40 PM »

So the FBI raided Cliff Rosenberger's house (and storage unit.)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1735 on: May 23, 2018, 06:34:19 PM »

And what should be a busy pre-summer recess session has been completely dead... though the GOP still found time to pass an atrocious Stand Your Ground bill out of Committee.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1736 on: May 23, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »

It's the Deep State!
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1737 on: May 24, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1738 on: May 24, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »

Suggests a generic D lead of about +3 then
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1739 on: May 24, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »

Not bad. Not bad at all. Would love to see how Dettelbach, Richardson, and Space are doing.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1740 on: May 26, 2018, 10:39:43 PM »

Daniel Gordon has withdrawn from the HD-3 race due to health reasons.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1741 on: May 27, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »

Health? Isn’t he like 25?

Maybe that’s why he wasn’t really doing very well. Despite his theoretically strong candidacy, he was not breaking ground. (Though that’s also the danger of running a ward councilman—even if BG dominates Wood County and OH-03, a ward councilman has limited appeal.)

I hope OHDC recruits a viable candidate here. It’s a shame Joel Kuhlman is running for judge, but he’d be good here. He had been the lone Democrat on the Wood County Commision and still got 47% of the vote as other county wide Democrats were getting crushed.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1742 on: May 27, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »

Health? Isn’t he like 25?

Maybe that’s why he wasn’t really doing very well. Despite his theoretically strong candidacy, he was not breaking ground. (Though that’s also the danger of running a ward councilman—even if BG dominates Wood County and OH-03, a ward councilman has limited appeal.)

I hope OHDC recruits a viable candidate here. It’s a shame Joel Kuhlman is running for judge, but he’d be good here. He had been the lone Democrat on the Wood County Commision and still got 47% of the vote as other county wide Democrats were getting crushed.

Yeah, I had wondered why his fundraising was so terrible. I don't know details of his illness, but this is the facebook post he made. I was so excited we had a non-Kelly Wicks candidate too...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1743 on: May 27, 2018, 12:57:55 PM »

You dont really need to raise a lot as a Ward Councilman who represents a bunch of college kids... The Mainstreet Program has been good at getting people elected locally, but a lot of the farm team that’s coming together would be better served making the jump to at-large council seats/mayorships before rhnning for State Representative—so long as they then also recruit fresh faces to take their spot. And it reallly isn’t just Gordon, for another example, see Jeremy Blake down in Newark.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1744 on: May 28, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »

In a deal struck by Speaker Pro Temp. Kirk Schuring, GOP Chairwoman Jane Timken, and Once & Future Speaker Larry Householder, the House will be voting on a rule change this Wednesday to ensure Schuring can remain acting Speaker through the end of session. Rep. Ryan Smith, who has been jockeying for the job as former Speaker Cliff Rosenberger's heir apparent, is not on board with this plan, and it remains to be seen if his supporters will come around to it, which would be necessary for a rule change to be enacted. ~47 of the 66 Republicans in the House support Smith, but it takes a clean 50 vote majority to be elected Speaker.
Ohioguy29

« Reply #1745 on: May 28, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »

That's a very reasonable solution, and Ryan Smith is a big baby for not getting on board with it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1746 on: May 28, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »

That's a very reasonable solution, and Ryan Smith is a big baby for not getting on board with it.

It is reasonable, but I wouldn't get on board if I were him. His only shot at becoming Speaker next session is if he goes into the new session as Speaker already. His term-limited supporters in safe seats are largely getting replaced by Householder candidates, and most of the competitive races feature Smith candidates who could go down.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1747 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:01 PM »

New PPP polling shows the race for Treasurer tied with Richardson and Sprague both at 40%. This is the second PPP poll in as many weeks of a downticket statewide race in Ohio. The first had Kathleen Clyde leading Frank LaRose 43% to 40% in the Secretary of State race.

Looking forward to the races for Auditor and Attorney General, which I still think are surer bets. Clyde has definitely proven herself a heavyweight, though. She’s punching very hard against LaRose, who is personally popular with many Northeast Ohio Democrats.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1748 on: May 31, 2018, 06:36:38 PM »

Bernadine Kennedy Kent has decided to join with Republicans and vote Smith for Speaker. Still no word from Patmon or Barnes.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1749 on: May 31, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »

Bernadine Kennedy Kent has decided to join with Republicans and vote Smith for Speaker. Still no word from Patmon or Barnes.

Does anyone have an informal whip count on Householder? Saw that Smith claimed he had the votes but uh... didn't back it up.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 69 [70] 71 72 73 74 75 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies