OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:47:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 183327 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2016, 09:49:53 PM »

State Representative Kathleen Clyde seems to be the only Democrat angling for this position. She'd pushed voting rights-related legislation during her tenure, and as the Representative of Kent, has made inroads with various college groups.

Please, no. She's pretty bad. Also, where do y'all think Mandel will end up?

Clyde seems pretty good to me.  Hopefully Mandel will end up in an unemployment line where he belongs (he's all-but-declared his candidacy for Senate).

Can we have Tiberi, please? Or Huffman? Or anyone but Mandel?

How about we just keep Sherrod Brown since he's easily one of the best Senators in the country Tongue

Yep. Brown has far and away the best voting record of any swing state senator, among other things.
Brown is terrible. He's one of these.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:02 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2016, 09:58:58 PM by Malcolm X »

State Representative Kathleen Clyde seems to be the only Democrat angling for this position. She'd pushed voting rights-related legislation during her tenure, and as the Representative of Kent, has made inroads with various college groups.

Please, no. She's pretty bad. Also, where do y'all think Mandel will end up?

Clyde seems pretty good to me.  Hopefully Mandel will end up in an unemployment line where he belongs (he's all-but-declared his candidacy for Senate).

Can we have Tiberi, please? Or Huffman? Or anyone but Mandel?

How about we just keep Sherrod Brown since he's easily one of the best Senators in the country Tongue

Yep. Brown has far and away the best voting record of any swing state senator, among other things.
Brown is terrible. He's one of these.

A fruit bat Huh
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2016, 10:14:20 PM »

Internal GOP politics heating up. Trump Supporter and Stark County GOP Vice-Chair Kate Timken is challenging RPO Chairman Matt Borges.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »

Internal GOP politics heating up. Trump Supporter and Stark County GOP Vice-Chair Kate Timken is challenging RPO Chairman Matt Borges.

Borges seems pretty competent, hopefully he loses!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2016, 11:27:19 PM »

Josh Mandel is the best person currently in Ohio politics, what's wrong with you people. Ugh
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 10:44:46 AM »

It might just be the alliteration, but the idea of "Lieutenant Governor Lou Gentile" is growing on me.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 09:58:58 PM »
« Edited: December 07, 2016, 10:00:52 PM by DavidB. »

FLAWLESS BEAUTIFUL MANDEL Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart
L
A
W
L
E
S
S

B
E
A
U
T
I
F
U
L

M
A
N
D
E
L

Purple heart
Purple heart
Purple heart
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »

Wow, from his On the Issues page, Mandel is pretty much awful on everything. I hope flawless (except PIPA) beautiful Sherrod Yellow heart crushes him.
wjx987
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:20 AM »

One would assume that after today, with the Heartbeat Bill being passed and Kasich warning that a recession could be imminent, things will get interesting. If these two issues really become a problem, especially the recession, I would expect that would advantage the Dems.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 06:57:12 AM »

I wonder if Michael Coleman still has any designs on being governor. He ran in 2006 but had some marriage issues that caused him to drop out, and was Lee Fisher's running mate in 2002. I heard rumblings about 2018 when he decided not to run for mayor again, but I haven't heard a peep about him since.

No chance of an Ed FitzGerald comeback, I presume?

I don't think so. His underperformance in 2014 took a lot of the shine off of him. (I don't know that anybody really expected him to win, but I think a lot of people expected him to be more formidable than he was. The drivers license thing was just weird.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 06:57:50 AM »

ROTFL at anyone who thinks Mandel could beat Brown.  I'm not even remotely worried about this one if Mandel is the Republican nominee.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »

ROTFL at anyone who thinks Mandel could beat Brown.  I'm not even remotely worried about this one if Mandel is the Republican nominee.

I've long felt this way, but after this cycle, I'm taking nothing for granted.

I wonder if Michael Coleman still has any designs on being governor. He ran in 2006 but had some marriage issues that caused him to drop out, and was Lee Fisher's running mate in 2002. I heard rumblings about 2018 when he decided not to run for mayor again, but I haven't heard a peep about him since.

Doubtful. Coleman would probably do better running for Governor "from cover" as Mayor. The city's track record over the last 6 years has been terrific.

One would assume that after today, with the Heartbeat Bill being passed and Kasich warning that a recession could be imminent, things will get interesting. If these two issues really become a problem, especially the recession, I would expect that would advantage the Dems.

They also passed the "Guns Everywhere" Bill. Could energize otherwise apathetic students.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 09:43:48 PM »

Tim Ryan is stoking the flames.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 12:23:23 AM »

Again, I'm pretty sure his minority leader run was 99% based on that, with a 1% eye at becoming Minority Leader and perhaps Speaker eventually.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 01:29:14 AM »

Can't divine the DeWine!

In all seriousness, DeWine's had such an odd career. He went from the state legislature to Congress, as one does, then took what a lot of people would understand as a 'demotion' to Lieutenant Governor (just as Trey Gowdy is or was apparently considering). Then he served two terms in the Senate, got defeated for reelection (getting proto-Blanched along with Santorum, no less), and contented himself with another 'demotion' as state Attorney General. And now he's running for governor, a position he probably could have held twenty or even twenty-five years ago had he wanted to then. It's sort of like Jerry Brown--it's an interesting enough path he's walking that I feel sort of obliged to wish him well.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 01:20:15 PM »

I can see two different scenarios for the Ohio Gubernatorial race

1. DeWine and Husted battle it out, and their attacks to eachother get so nasty that a third candidate (either Taylor or Renacci at this point) rises in the polls and gets the nomination.

2. DeWine and Husted battle it out, but are so dominant that it forces the lower tier candidates (again, Taylor and Renacci) to run for something else. I suspect this is where Mandel's primary challenge in the Senate arises.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2016, 01:39:09 AM »

1. DeWine and Husted battle it out, and their attacks to eachother get so nasty that a third candidate (either Taylor or Renacci at this point) rises in the polls and gets the nomination.

2. DeWine and Husted battle it out, but are so dominant that it forces the lower tier candidates (again, Taylor and Renacci) to run for something else. I suspect this is where Mandel's primary challenge in the Senate arises.

Honestly, if Renacci doesn't see an opening, I doubt he runs for a lower statewide office. Also, Taylor seems to be the favored candidate of Kasich, even if DeWine and Husted are bigger names.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2016, 10:08:28 AM »

Michael Coleman is the dark horse here if he runs I think he could be the favored to win of Ohio does hit a recession
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »

Michael Coleman is the dark horse here if he runs I think he could be the favored to win of Ohio does hit a recession

Coleman's a has-been, 2006 was his last best shot and he couldn't even win the nomination.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2016, 04:10:29 PM »

Coleman's a has-been, 2006 was his last best shot and he couldn't even win the nomination.
Wouldn't call him a "has-been," but his last good chance to run statewide was probably in 2014.

New article out in the Plain Dealer. There's a large group of Bernie supporters, both within and outside of Ohio urging Turner to run. The interesting bit is that they say they'd also support Justice O'Neill were he to run for Governor.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2016, 11:53:43 PM »

I wonder if it would make more sense for Sherrod Brown to run for Governor than the Senate? He wouldn't be swimming against a partisan tide (or it would be much less of one), the Republican Party won't decide on a candidate until quite late in the game, and if he does win he'll be able to prevent a repeat of the disastrous 2010s House map and probably give Democrats 3-4 House seats plus a bunch of new legislative seats, allowing them to rebuild the Ohio bench. That seems like a much more attractive proposition to me than staying in an unending Senate minority, though perhaps I'm biased since I really want to see Mandel elected and would therefore prefer Brown run to be Governor.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2016, 02:10:26 AM »

Honestly, if Renacci doesn't see an opening, I doubt he runs for a lower statewide office. Also, Taylor seems to be the favored candidate of Kasich, even if DeWine and Husted are bigger names.

Taylor also seems to be more moderate than DeWine and Husted.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2016, 09:14:25 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2016, 09:23:07 AM by Malcolm X »

I wonder if it would make more sense for Sherrod Brown to run for Governor than the Senate? He wouldn't be swimming against a partisan tide (or it would be much less of one), the Republican Party won't decide on a candidate until quite late in the game, and if he does win he'll be able to prevent a repeat of the disastrous 2010s House map and probably give Democrats 3-4 House seats plus a bunch of new legislative seats, allowing them to rebuild the Ohio bench. That seems like a much more attractive proposition to me than staying in an unending Senate minority, though perhaps I'm biased since I really want to see Mandel elected and would therefore prefer Brown run to be Governor.

Sherrod Brown is probably a Senate lifer unless he loses re-election.  From what I've heard, he really likes the job.  Plus, the Republicans have a much stronger bench in the Governor's race than in the Senate race.

Taylor also seems to be more moderate than DeWine and Husted.

Taylor is really right-wing, but she's so incompetent that she barely said anything after that hilariously inaccurate "report" about healthcare her office put out (even the Dispatch ridiculed her for it).  Husted is the most moderate or at least he used to be (he is the type of guy Democrats can sometimes work with).  He's certainly the only one with real cross-over appeal.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2016, 10:10:19 AM »

Updated the OP with potential Auditor candidates, which rounds out the 2018 state executives.

And while I didn't include him in the update as there's no indication he's considering, I'd love to see Chillicothe Mayor Luke Feeney run for Auditor. He got some national exposure at the DNC, and previously served as city auditor. Another reason I'd like to see Feeney run is because I am a little worried that the Democratic ticket is going to be very NE OH heavy.

Though, at the same time, Democrats have been taking the region for granted as of late.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2016, 04:44:13 PM »

I hope there's another primary candidate for Senate that's not FBMandel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies