OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:51:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185008 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: August 26, 2017, 03:12:18 PM »

This article is almost three weeks old, but it speculates that if Cordray has any intention of resigning so he can run for governor, he may be waiting to do so until he can sign off on a new payday lending rule:

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2017/08/if_richard_cordray_resigns_to.html
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #776 on: August 28, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »

This article is almost three weeks old, but it speculates that if Cordray has any intention of resigning so he can run for governor, he may be waiting to do so until he can sign off on a new payday lending rule:

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2017/08/if_richard_cordray_resigns_to.html

That seems unlikely to happen in a week.

In Other News: The new Franklin County Treasurer, Cheryl Brook Sullivan, likely won't be able to take her seat next week as no one is willing to bond her for two reasons. 1: A twenty-year-old felony Cocaine conviction, 2: Past bankruptcy convictions.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #777 on: August 28, 2017, 02:02:14 PM »

In Other News: The new Franklin County Treasurer, Cheryl Brook Sullivan, likely won't be able to take her seat next week as no one is willing to bond her for two reasons. 1: A twenty-year-old felony Cocaine conviction, 2: Past bankruptcy convictions.

Good
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #778 on: August 29, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »

Zack Space made his candidacy official today and is barnstorming Eastern Ohio with stops in Zanesville, Martins Ferry, and Steubenville.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #779 on: August 29, 2017, 05:24:22 PM »

Agreed. At any rate, I hope we get some kind of indication of what his plans are at that Labor Day event he's speaking at.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #780 on: August 29, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »

Hopefully, he will finally put the idea to rest.

ION: Brooks Sullivan has been offered a bond, albeit from a different insurer than Franklin County normally uses. The bond still needs to be approved, however, and that's up to Republican County Prosecutor Ron O'Brien.
Rjjr77
« Reply #781 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »

Agreed. At any rate, I hope we get some kind of indication of what his plans are at that Labor Day event he's speaking at.

Still don't see it, at this point he's missed so much time if he did its bad for his campaign. He'd have to hope a Taylor or Renacci were to somehow win, he may be able to beat dewine but it wont be easy, and I think husted runs over him
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #782 on: August 30, 2017, 08:37:41 PM »

While his name is often floated, TV personality -- and former Cinci Mayor -- Jerry Springer seems to be seriously looking at running for Governor next year. The rumor comes from Gene Galiv, with whom Spring co-hosts a Podcast, and seems to be reaffirmed by his taking a political meeting with State Reps. Stephanie Howse and Janine Boyd, as well as State Senator Sandra William.

His decision allegedly comes within the next two weeks.

To me, this seems more than the typical hype. Whether or not he'll pull the trigger, who knows. Interestingly, while Cordray is in Cincinnati doing his Labor Day event, Springer will be doing one up in Cleveland.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #783 on: August 30, 2017, 10:06:14 PM »

Springer is an odious POS.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #784 on: August 30, 2017, 11:45:08 PM »

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/lawmaker-consumer-chief-spar-over-political-ambitions/article_2788039a-db8b-569b-b18a-fb8d0233fe6e.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nothing exciting, but I always find more handwringing from Republicans over Cordray interesting to read about.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #785 on: August 31, 2017, 01:52:22 AM »

At least Springer was mayor of a large city. Wouldn't be as embarrassing as Kid Rock.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #786 on: August 31, 2017, 04:06:48 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkb6jex6-80
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #787 on: August 31, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »

At least Springer was mayor of a large city. Wouldn't be as embarrassing as Kid Rock.

It'd be pretty d*** embarrassing, believe you me.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #788 on: August 31, 2017, 01:15:21 PM »

The thing is when Springer way Mayor of Cinci, it was a weak Mayor. Basically just city council president in a system with a strong city manager. He wouldn't be my favorite, but if he could perform better than any of the announced candidates. And speaking of our other possible late entrant, Cordray is scheduled to speak to a large credit union as CPFB Director three days after his Labor Day appearance in Cincinnati, another indicator he will not run.

On the Republican side, Husted's SuperPAC has made a statewide ad buy to coincide with the first OSU football game of the season.
Rjjr77
« Reply #789 on: August 31, 2017, 05:43:22 PM »

I have an old friend of mine who worked with Springer back in the cincy days who says he has zero plans for running. He also says Jerry never pushes this stuff, but whenever he helps raise money for something in an off year the media jumps on the rumors.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Husted really looks like hes taking this one, all the right moves.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #790 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »

Jesse Ventura was a former mayor, too.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #791 on: August 31, 2017, 06:35:38 PM »

Springer is genuinely a worse person than Kid Rock though. Almost as artless, too.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #792 on: September 02, 2017, 12:32:56 PM »

Yeah, my feeling is that Husted wins, edging out DeWine by a decent but not massive margin (5-10 points). I don't think he puts any of his primary opponents on the ticket unless Taylor wants to stay in her current position.

On the Dem side, I think Cordray wins if he runs (though not by as big a margin as one might expect) and picks Whaley for LG. If he doesn't run, I could see any of the four Democratic candidates winning, honestly. I could see Whaley or Schiavoni winning and putting the other on the ticket, not sure who the other two would run with.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #793 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:34 PM »

Yeah, my feeling is that Husted wins, edging out DeWine by a decent but not massive margin (5-10 points). I don't think he puts any of his primary opponents on the ticket unless Taylor wants to stay in her current position.

On the Dem side, I think Cordray wins if he runs (though not by as big a margin as one might expect) and picks Whaley for LG. If he doesn't run, I could see any of the four Democratic candidates winning, honestly. I could see Whaley or Schiavoni winning and putting the other on the ticket, not sure who the other two would run with.

Husted can't pick Taylor for his LG, since she's term limited in that spot, and since Gubernatorial candidates have to file with an LG in mind, it is highly unlikely we see a Whaley-Schiavoni team up. Though, I'd love to see it, frankly.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #794 on: September 02, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »

Husted can't pick Taylor for his LG, since she's term limited in that spot, and since Gubernatorial candidates have to file with an LG in mind, it is highly unlikely we see a Whaley-Schiavoni team up. Though, I'd love to see it, frankly.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't know either of those things, so maybe I don't know enough to be making these predictions hahaha
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #795 on: September 04, 2017, 03:22:07 PM »

Cordray made no announcement at today's Labor Day event in Cincinnati, where he was promised to make his attentions known by State Supreme Court Justice, Bill O'Neill.

Ah, gotcha. Didn't know either of those things, so maybe I don't know enough to be making these predictions hahaha

Eh, don't feel too bad. I wasn't sure whether or not our Lt. Gov. was under the same term limits as the rest of the state executives until recently.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #796 on: September 04, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

With Cordray evidently out, Springer has verbally acknowledged he is giving serious thought to running for Governor -- a break from past years' hype.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #797 on: September 05, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »

Kaptur has endorsed Sutton. Unsurprising, as their districts share(d) some basic geography. I expect Ryan will endorse Schiavoni at some point. No clue what Fudge and Beatty will do. It'd be funny if every Congresscritter endorsed different candidates. GOP Congresscritters seem to be wisely sitting it out.

I'm also really surprised Cordray's apparent pass didn't get a lot of people in here. TD made his hype on Atlas much stronger than it was IRL.
UncleSam

« Reply #798 on: September 05, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »

Would Cordray have even been that strong a candidate? What about his positions or background stands out from, for example, Schiavoni?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #799 on: September 05, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »

Would Cordray have even been that strong a candidate? What about his positions or background stands out from, for example, Schiavoni?

What stands out about Cordray, theoretically, is his past strength in statewide elections. He was elected State Treasurer in 2006 and then elected Attorney General in 2008 with very healthy margins, but those were both waves, so those don't stand out very much. What does stand out is that in 2010, a year Strickland only just lost to Kasich -- which people forget -- Cordray lost to Mike DeWine by the skin of his teeth. People who know DeWine say he honestly expected to lose.

Schiavoni, like Whaley and Sutton, and to a lesser degree, Pillich, is just not very well known. The will-he-or-won't-he with Cordray has been very damaging in that way. With none of the mega-donors -- not that Ohio Democrats have a lot of it -- willing to commit until Cordray made his intentions known, Schiavoni and the others haven't been able to establish a statewide profile like they should ideally be doing before we get to the general election.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies