OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:18:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185138 times)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: September 05, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

I'm also really surprised Cordray's apparent pass didn't get a lot of people in here. TD made his hype on Atlas much stronger than it was IRL.

TBF, he didn't give a firm denial about running. Granted, I agree that the odds of him getting in don't look good at this point, but I thought the idea that he was going to announce yesterday was just speculation and hearsay.
Rjjr77
« Reply #801 on: September 06, 2017, 09:27:28 AM »

Would Cordray have even been that strong a candidate? What about his positions or background stands out from, for example, Schiavoni?

What stands out about Cordray, theoretically, is his past strength in statewide elections. He was elected State Treasurer in 2006 and then elected Attorney General in 2008 with very healthy margins, but those were both waves, so those don't stand out very much. What does stand out is that in 2010, a year Strickland only just lost to Kasich -- which people forget -- Cordray lost to Mike DeWine by the skin of his teeth. People who know DeWine say he honestly expected to lose.

Schiavoni, like Whaley and Sutton, and to a lesser degree, Pillich, is just not very well known. The will-he-or-won't-he with Cordray has been very damaging in that way. With none of the mega-donors -- not that Ohio Democrats have a lot of it -- willing to commit until Cordray made his intentions known, Schiavoni and the others haven't been able to establish a statewide profile like they should ideally be doing before we get to the general election.

The NRA had a lot to do with Cordray in 2010, they not only endorsed, but actually worked against Dewine
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #802 on: September 06, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »

Former Congressman John Boccieri, who served a single term from '09-'11 and currently serves in the State House, will be running for the State Senate seat Joe Schiavoni is term-limited out of.
Rjjr77
« Reply #803 on: September 07, 2017, 07:51:45 AM »

Former Congressman John Boccieri, who served a single term from '09-'11 and currently serves in the State House, will be running for the State Senate seat Joe Schiavoni is term-limited out of.
has he even served a full term in the state house?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #804 on: September 07, 2017, 12:18:07 PM »

Boccieri made his way back to the state house is September 2015. So... Technically yes. As of this month.

I think the implementation of term limits at the state level has been very bad for our state, but it also annoys me when people do this. Boccieri and Batchelder violate the spirit of the law, and it prevents both parties from developing their farm teams.
Rjjr77
« Reply #805 on: September 07, 2017, 03:46:45 PM »

Boccieri made his way back to the state house is September 2015. So... Technically yes. As of this month.

I think the implementation of term limits at the state level has been very bad for our state, but it also annoys me when people do this. Boccieri and Batchelder violate the spirit of the law, and it prevents both parties from developing their farm teams.

I've been happy with Term limits, I do think they need some tweaking. I think there should be an additional term added to the term limits, but a 4 year gap from when you can run from one legislative seat to the other
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #806 on: September 08, 2017, 06:14:47 PM »

I've been happy with Term limits, I do think they need some tweaking. I think there should be an additional term added to the term limits, but a 4 year gap from when you can run from one legislative seat to the other

There's not really a problem with someone who has served 8 years in the House looking to advance at the end of their term, but if a Representative goes on to serve 8 years in the Senate, and we're serious about term limits -- which I disagree with, but if we're doing them, do it right -- there needs to either be 1) a total freeze or 2) the gap you suggested.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #807 on: September 11, 2017, 05:29:15 PM »

Gayle Manning bought a house in the 56th house district, which is currently held by her son, Nathan Manning. So it looks like they're going to do the old switcheroo. (Instead of having Nathan's sister run for his seat.)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #808 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:11 PM »

State Representative Kathleen Clyde seems to be the only Democrat angling for this position. She'd pushed voting rights-related legislation during her tenure, and as the Representative of Kent, has made inroads with various college groups.

Please, no. She's pretty bad. Also, where do y'all think Mandel will end up?
Mandel's a little snot nose; he'll be unemployed in January, 2019.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #809 on: September 15, 2017, 03:21:29 AM »

All the naysayers will be shellshocked when Cordray jumps into the race later this month. He will storm through the primaries and will occupy the Governor's mansion come January of 2019.

Is that just the opinion of an insufferable Cordray hack like myself? Absolutely it is.
#CantHoldAtBayTheCordray
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #810 on: September 15, 2017, 03:54:19 AM »

FWIW: This pic doesn't show up for me.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #811 on: September 15, 2017, 10:09:23 AM »

Same.

In other news, Newark City Councilman Jeremy Blake is running for the State House, not Treasurer. Blake is by no means a powerhouse, but since the guy Democrats seem to be running to Treasurer has never held office, he'd be an improvement in many ways. Leland really does seem to be angling for Lieutenant Governor, though if Sutton doesn't win the primary, that'd be embarrassing.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #812 on: September 17, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »

It should be Can't Slay The Cordray btw.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #813 on: September 17, 2017, 07:35:03 PM »

With Cordray evidently out, Springer has verbally acknowledged he is giving serious thought to running for Governor -- a break from past years' hype.

If Springer does run, would anyone endorse him?
Rjjr77
« Reply #814 on: September 18, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »

Same.

In other news, Newark City Councilman Jeremy Blake is running for the State House, not Treasurer. Blake is by no means a powerhouse, but since the guy Democrats seem to be running to Treasurer has never held office, he'd be an improvement in many ways. Leland really does seem to be angling for Lieutenant Governor, though if Sutton doesn't win the primary, that'd be embarrassing.

Well they'd have to declare together as a ticket which would probably boost Betty Sutton in columbus
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #815 on: September 18, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »

Same.

Well they'd have to declare together as a ticket which would probably boost Betty Sutton in columbus

Some, sure.

In other news, Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor says that, if elected Governor, she would freeze Gov. Kasich's Medicaid expansion. I wonder if he might pull his endorsement of her. She's certainly proven herself to be twofaced.
Rjjr77
« Reply #816 on: September 19, 2017, 09:34:59 AM »

Same.

Some, sure.

In other news, Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor says that, if elected Governor, she would freeze Gov. Kasich's Medicaid expansion. I wonder if he might pull his endorsement of her. She's certainly proven herself to be twofaced.

he wont pull the endorsement, if he were running in this field he'd say he'd freeze medicaid expansion (i dont think he actually believes in it, nor do many politicians would be my bet)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #817 on: September 19, 2017, 11:19:34 PM »

It was Kasich's decision to expand Medicaid, he certainly believes in it. He's annoying when he talks about the pearly gates and Saint Peter, but there's little reason to disbelieve him.
Rjjr77
« Reply #818 on: September 20, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »

It was Kasich's decision to expand Medicaid, he certainly believes in it. He's annoying when he talks about the pearly gates and Saint Peter, but there's little reason to disbelieve him.

I don't believe him, because you're giving Kasich too much credit. Kasich is out for Kasich
Rjjr77
« Reply #819 on: September 20, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »

6 State Reps endorse Betty Sutton:
Nick Celebrezze D-Parma
Nicki Antonio D-Lakewood
Emilia Sykes D-Akron
Theresa Fedor D-Toledo
Tavia Golonski D-Akron
Kent Smith D- Euclid

All but guarantees Cordray is out.

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20170920/dem-sutton-racks-up-6-lawmaker-endorsements-for-ohio-governor
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #820 on: September 20, 2017, 09:21:21 PM »

Surprised Leland's not on that list.

I'm starting to wonder who everyone's going to pick for their LG. Not that Sutton/Leland is a given. Sutton's grown on me a bit since the debate.
Rjjr77
« Reply #821 on: September 20, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »

Surprised Leland's not on that list.

I'm starting to wonder who everyone's going to pick for their LG. Not that Sutton/Leland is a given. Sutton's grown on me a bit since the debate.

Sutton/Leland isn't a given, but I've heard it a few times. I assume Leland endorses her in a separate event. I have a feeling she just dropped a list today and plans on slow rolling out a few more.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #822 on: September 24, 2017, 05:28:43 PM »

Sutton/Leland may not happen, but I'm increasingly worried she'll get the nod. Yes, her mid-year report was weak, but with Cordray seemingly out, his support seems to really be solidifying around her.
Rjjr77
« Reply #823 on: September 25, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »

Sutton/Leland may not happen, but I'm increasingly worried she'll get the nod. Yes, her mid-year report was weak, but with Cordray seemingly out, his support seems to really be solidifying around her.

shes certainly the front runner
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #824 on: September 25, 2017, 11:15:26 AM »

shes certainly the front runner

She's waffled, IMO. I've met all of 3 people who like her, two of whom were from her old Congressional district and would have bucked her the minute Cordray got in. I can only assume her fundraising spikes after the last report with Cordray now seemingly out.

In other news, Space received the unanimous endorsement of the UMW today.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies