OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:34:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185022 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: November 07, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »

also we need some news so we can change the title, since the "rampant sexual harassment" turned out bogus.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #951 on: November 07, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »

also we need some news so we can change the title, since the "rampant sexual harassment" turned out bogus.

Maybe I'll change it to "Incumbents ousted" this evening. Wink
Rjjr77
« Reply #952 on: November 07, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »

hopefully the lima mayor is one.

I think incumbents are mostly safe right now, Jackson, PHH, and the Lima Mayor should win, Cranley is the only one in trouble I believe. But the Lima's Mayors race is going to be close. I just think the city is too D for the R to pull it off.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #953 on: November 07, 2017, 03:22:11 PM »

Not knowing anything about the Lima election other than that the Mayor is a D, I got to say I hope he isn't.

Jackson could still be in some trouble, but Cranley's still the only one that looks to be in trouble.

Rjjr77
« Reply #954 on: November 07, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »

Not knowing anything about the Lima election other than that the Mayor is a D, I got to say I hope he isn't.

Jackson could still be in some trouble, but Cranley's still the only one that looks to be in trouble.

Lima mayor has been mayor a long time, and the city isn't in great shape, the GOP chair actually won the 3 way primary and got the endorsement from the democrat councilman who finished 3rd. So he could be in trouble, but so much depends on what happens with turnout in a pretty dem city. I know the dem mayor had Nan Whaley campaign for him.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #955 on: November 07, 2017, 10:46:43 PM »

hopefully the lima mayor is one.

I think incumbents are mostly safe right now, Jackson, PHH, and the Lima Mayor should win, Cranley is the only one in trouble I believe. But the Lima's Mayors race is going to be close. I just think the city is too D for the R to pull it off.

Looks like Wade Kapszukiewicz won Smiley
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #956 on: November 08, 2017, 12:00:01 AM »

David Berger leads 2-1 in the absentees. He'll be fine.

I voted for him when I was a Lima Resident and Assistant City Prosecutor in the late 90's. Great guy. The city was sucking then too, so people don't blame the Mayor for de-industrialization. I remember when the Republican County Sheriff, Dan Beck, ran against him. An immigrant basher back long before Trump made it cool.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #957 on: November 08, 2017, 01:17:58 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2017, 11:51:50 AM by BuckeyeNut »

Somewhat disappointed in PHH losing, though I'm happy Kovimes made it on to the council. Frankly surprised at Cranley for winning re-election by 8 points.

Pretty disappointed in the Franklin County suburbs. A lot of hot young progressives got crushed tonight.

Also very disappointed in the general outcome re: Issue 1.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #958 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »

I wonder what the chances are Chabot and/or Turner are looking at retirement? My disappointment in the Franklin County suburbs aside, last night was decent for Democrats.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #959 on: November 08, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »

I wonder what the chances are Chabot and/or Turner are looking at retirement? My disappointment in the Franklin County suburbs aside, last night was decent for Democrats.

I’ve had Turner pegged as a retirement possibility for a while now.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #960 on: November 08, 2017, 08:28:57 PM »

I’ve had Turner pegged as a retirement possibility for a while now.

If he retires and Nan shifts to a Congressional run...

Unrelated: Warren County went from having zero (0) elected Democrats in the county to fifteen (15)!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #961 on: November 08, 2017, 09:26:27 PM »

No on 1, Yes on 2.

I expect to be on the losing side for both. Tongue

But I didn't expect it to be nearly THAT bad. Sad
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #962 on: November 10, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »

Anyone care to summarize what happened in Ohio? Anything noteworthy?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #963 on: November 10, 2017, 08:35:31 AM »

At the statewide level, we passed a constitutional amendment called Mary's Law that a California millionaire has been financing around the country. The amendment calls for "victim's rights" in criminal proceedings. Most of it is redundant, as the Ohio Constitution already featured a set of victim's rights, while part of it is incredibly harmful and hampers due process by letting the victims of crime refuse participation in the discovery process.

We also rejected an amendment that would have set a fixed price the state pays for pharmaceuticals and tied that price to the discount rate the VA pays. Nice on paper, but a lot of problems with enforcement, and some weird provisions about using tax dollars to pay for a private legal defense of the bill passed and incurred law suits, which almost certainly would have given enforcement issues.

The incumbent Mayor of Toledo lost re-election to another Democrat, the incumbent Mayor of Lima retained his seat versus a competent Republican, the incumbent Mayor of Cincinatti crushed his opposition after barely scraping into second place during the open primary, and the Mayor of Cleveland won an unprecedented fourth term.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #964 on: November 10, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »

Unrelated: Warren County went from having zero (0) elected Democrats in the county to fifteen (15)!
I can't find any results for it. What offices did Ds pick up? I find it a little hard to believe considering Warren County has been an R stronghold since the founding of the GOP.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #965 on: November 10, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2017, 11:16:59 PM by BuckeyeNut »

So, at least 10 Democrats were elected. I was under impression another 5 winning candidates were Democrats, but they ran without affiliation and may or may not be Democrats, privately. Bold indicates Democrats elected to localities solely within Warren County.

Warren County Education Service Center, Nona Cress

Franklin Municipal Court, Ronald Rupert

Springboro City Council, Ward 2, Dale Brunner

Deerfield Twn Trustee, Kristin Malhotra

Waynesville Village Council, Brian Blankenship

Mason City Board of Education, Matthew Steele

Franklin Board of Education, Rachel Ruppert-Wolfinbarger

Carlisle School Board, Mollie McIntosh

Little Miami District Board of Education, Wayne Siebert

Rjjr77
« Reply #966 on: November 10, 2017, 11:10:57 PM »

At the statewide level, we passed a constitutional amendment called Mary's Law that a California millionaire has been financing around the country. The amendment calls for "victim's rights" in criminal proceedings. Most of it is redundant, as the Ohio Constitution already featured a set of victim's rights, while part of it is incredibly harmful and hampers due process by letting the victims of crime refuse participation in the discovery process.

We also rejected an amendment that would have set a fixed price the state pays for pharmaceuticals and tied that price to the discount rate the VA pays. Nice on paper, but a lot of problems with enforcement, and some weird provisions about using tax dollars to pay for a private legal defense of the bill passed and incurred law suits, which almost certainly would have given enforcement issues.

The incumbent Mayor of Toledo lost re-election to another Democrat, the incumbent Mayor of Lima retained his seat versus a competent Republican, the incumbent Mayor of Cincinatti crushed his opposition after barely scraping into second place during the open primary, and the Mayor of Cleveland won an unprecedented fourth term.

Overall a pretty decent night for democrats, but not a blood bath for republicans, whos biggest win was probably getting the mayor of stubenville for the first time in a long time
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #967 on: November 10, 2017, 11:15:38 PM »

Woah. di Carlantonio got whooped. That's not good.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #968 on: November 11, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »

So about six months before the primary, who are do you guys think will be the nominees for their respective party?  Is a Sutton vs. DeWine match-up still the most likely based on the current trajectory?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #969 on: November 11, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »

I, and RJ, and perhaps others, haven't thought DeWine is favored for some time. Sutton v Husted seems the most likely to me, especially with O'Neill entering the Democratic primary, which should hurt Pillich and Schiavoni a fair bit.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #970 on: November 11, 2017, 07:52:09 PM »

Whoa letting alleged victims opt out of discovery!? That’s insane. Is that even constitutional?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #971 on: November 11, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »

Whoa letting alleged victims opt out of discovery!? That’s insane. Is that even constitutional?

No, it’ll be struck down.  Still horrible
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #972 on: November 12, 2017, 02:50:15 AM »

No, it’ll be struck down.  Still horrible

This. It forces defendants to get a court order, as in a subpoena, to have the Victim disclose anything they don't wish to, rather than it being required in the discovery process.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #973 on: November 12, 2017, 11:43:06 AM »

Marsy's Law won't get struck down. It's existed in California and Illinois for years. Also Minnesota, I think.

The difference is, the Democratic Party in California opposed the ballot initiative. Democrats here, present company excluded, generally supported it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #974 on: November 13, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »

Marsy's Law won't get struck down. It's existed in California and Illinois for years. Also Minnesota, I think.

The difference is, the Democratic Party in California opposed the ballot initiative. Democrats here, present company excluded, generally supported it.

Portions of it like the aforementioned Discovery exclusions maybe individually struck down. The law has a hole certainly won't be
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies