OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:37:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 183360 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: March 13, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »

Do Democrats have a chance for statewide office in 2018 in Ohio, a 8-pt Trump state?
Depends on the candidates, republicans have heavyweights for governor and AG and if Frank LaRose wins the SOS primary I expect him to win that seat, auditor and treasurer are open
Keith Faber, for auditor, is running and is easily considered a heavyweight. H should clear the primary field, and I imagine Democrats would probably put their eggs in the Treasurer and SOS baskets with regards to downballot offices. Frank LaRose may be picked for LG, or, if Renacci retires, maybe he goes for OH-16, which does not quite include his house, but it does include much of his Senate district, unless someone else runs, and he's more interested in the state level. Didn't some other Republican already announce her intentions for SOS?

The Democrats also have a solid candidate for AG (that and Treasurer are probably the best shots, assuming Leland runs).  LaRose could also very well lose the SoS primary to a weaker, far more right-wing candidate.  Even DeWine is very capable of blowing races if the tide is against him (as we saw in 2006).
I don't think Dettlebach? Someone no one has ever heard of matches up to Yost and his war chest. Yost is generally well respected by both parties.

Clyde can beat Pelanda, she can't beat LaRose. Faber and Sprague/Mingo are beatable.

The dems best hope is Pelanda beats LaRose, and Mingo beats sprague. And by some miracle Renacci or Mary Taylor win the Govs. Primary.

Leland would beat Sprague and absolutely clobber Mingo.  I've been pretty impressed by what I've been hearing about Dettlebach so far and Yost is a pretty weak campaigner.  Yes, Yost has a fundraising lead, but that'll shrink.  Schiavoni or Pillich could beat DeWine in a Democratic year if the Republican primary is a bruising one (as appears likely).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2017, 08:36:58 PM »

Do Democrats have a chance for statewide office in 2018 in Ohio, a 8-pt Trump state?
Depends on the candidates, republicans have heavyweights for governor and AG and if Frank LaRose wins the SOS primary I expect him to win that seat, auditor and treasurer are open
Keith Faber, for auditor, is running and is easily considered a heavyweight. H should clear the primary field, and I imagine Democrats would probably put their eggs in the Treasurer and SOS baskets with regards to downballot offices. Frank LaRose may be picked for LG, or, if Renacci retires, maybe he goes for OH-16, which does not quite include his house, but it does include much of his Senate district, unless someone else runs, and he's more interested in the state level. Didn't some other Republican already announce her intentions for SOS?

The Democrats also have a solid candidate for AG (that and Treasurer are probably the best shots, assuming Leland runs).  LaRose could also very well lose the SoS primary to a weaker, far more right-wing candidate.  Even DeWine is very capable of blowing races if the tide is against him (as we saw in 2006).
I don't think Dettlebach? Someone no one has ever heard of matches up to Yost and his war chest. Yost is generally well respected by both parties.

Clyde can beat Pelanda, she can't beat LaRose. Faber and Sprague/Mingo are beatable.

The dems best hope is Pelanda beats LaRose, and Mingo beats sprague. And by some miracle Renacci or Mary Taylor win the Govs. Primary.

Leland would beat Sprague and absolutely clobber Mingo.  I've been pretty impressed by what I've been hearing about Dettlebach so far and Yost is a pretty weak campaigner.  Yes, Yost has a fundraising lead, but that'll shrink.  Schiavoni or Pillich could beat DeWine in a Democratic year if the Republican primary is a bruising one (as appears likely).
Dettelbach is law school friends with Obama, he shouldn't have fundraising trouble. And Yost is ... kind of a snooze. Yeah, he's established, but his name ID isn't great for a statewide office holder.
Rjjr77
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »

Dettelbach is law school friends with Obama, he shouldn't have fundraising trouble. And Yost is ... kind of a snooze. Yeah, he's established, but his name ID isn't great for a statewide office holder.
Dettlebachs never run for anything and is a complete no one, I think he's a massive underdog right now.

Dewine is beatable, not by Pillich or Schiavoni, and Husted would probably throttle those two.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #303 on: March 13, 2017, 08:55:43 PM »

Dettlebachs never run for anything and is a complete no one, I think he's a massive underdog right now.

Dewine is beatable, not by Pillich or Schiavoni, and Husted would probably throttle those two.

Husted would win easily in the general, but he's far from a sure thing in the primary.  Schiavoni and Pillich are more than capable of beating DeWine in a Democratic year.  Dettelbach is a solid recruit and Yost is a pretty weak campaigner with limited name-ID despite being a row-officer.
Rjjr77
« Reply #304 on: March 13, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »

Husted would win easily in the general, but he's far from a sure thing in the primary.  Schiavoni and Pillich are more than capable of beating DeWine in a Democratic year.  Dettelbach is a solid recruit and Yost is a pretty weak campaigner with limited name-ID despite being a row-officer.

Schiavoni and Pillich are going to need a lot of help to beat Dewine, and I don't think either are the front runners in the primary right now.

Dettlebach is the kind of recruit whos competitive against another statewide unknown, he's going to struggle against Yost bad. Also can we call him a weak campaigner when his opponent has never run for anything? His name id isn't great, but it's not terrible, and it's a better ballot name than Dettlebach. I still think Schiavoni should slide down and run for that spot.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #305 on: March 13, 2017, 09:08:25 PM »

Schiavoni and Pillich are going to need a lot of help to beat Dewine, and I don't think either are the front runners in the primary right now.

Dettlebach is the kind of recruit whos competitive against another statewide unknown, he's going to struggle against Yost bad. Also can we call him a weak campaigner when his opponent has never run for anything? His name id isn't great, but it's not terrible, and it's a better ballot name than Dettlebach. I still think Schiavoni should slide down and run for that spot.

Have you ever heard Yost give a stump speech?  There's a term for it: nap time Tongue  I think Dettelbach will either beat or narrowly lose to Yost, although it's early.  Leland is almost certainly gonna pick up the Treasurer's office though; the man is an absolute fundraising machine and he can be absolutely ruthless when necessary. 

Schiavoni and Pillich will both finish ahead of Sutton in the primary, I think.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #306 on: March 13, 2017, 09:13:46 PM »

If Republicans are using John Ossoff's personal life in Georgia, oh boy, Democrats better use Dave Yost's pathetic dad rock in their ads.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #307 on: March 13, 2017, 09:23:34 PM »

Yes. Because as X said, he's really quite boring. Dettelbach needs to prove his hustle, but everything so far paints him as a serious contender.
Rjjr77
« Reply #308 on: March 13, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »

Yes. Because as X said, he's really quite boring. Dettelbach needs to prove his hustle, but everything so far paints him as a serious contender.
Yost is boring, and a bit folksy, but it plays, people outside of the metropolises genuinely like him, plus he's got a pretty strong record as auditor to run on. I've rolled my eyes at plenty of Yost speeches only to hear the old couple on the way out the door hear how charming he is. He's Pat Boone, the cool kids may all laugh but the dude sells records. Dettelbach is literally a no one, he's got a ton of work to be a real candidate.

Right now I think Pillich finishes dead last in the dem primary, behind even Whaley, it's Suttons to lose, unless Schiavoni finds a big bankroll.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #309 on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »

Yost is boring, and a bit folksy, but it plays, people outside of the metropolises genuinely like him, plus he's got a pretty strong record as auditor to run on. I've rolled my eyes at plenty of Yost speeches only to hear the old couple on the way out the door hear how charming he is. He's Pat Boone, the cool kids may all laugh but the dude sells records. Dettelbach is literally a no one, he's got a ton of work to be a real candidate.

Right now I think Pillich finishes dead last in the dem primary, behind even Whaley, it's Suttons to lose, unless Schiavoni finds a big bankroll.

Who's Pat Boone?  Also you guys underestimate Dettelbach at your own peril, I think.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #310 on: March 13, 2017, 09:51:16 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 09:54:10 PM by BuckeyeNut »

I'm still with X. Though I'll admit bias, as I saw him at an event early and that put me on a hype train. However, I think the same can be said of Pillich within the primary. Again, she's starting with $435k on hand and raised $3.5 mil running for Treasuer in '13-14, as opposed to AG or Gov. Sutton, meanwhile, only raised $2.5 mil running in a competitive CD in a good year when she last ran for office. She's also not sitting on anything.
Rjjr77
« Reply #311 on: March 13, 2017, 10:33:57 PM »

I'm still with X. Though I'll admit bias, as I saw him at an event early and that put me on a hype train. However, I think the same can be said of Pillich within the primary. Again, she's starting with $435k on hand and raised $3.5 mil running for Treasuer in '13-14, as opposed to AG or Gov. Sutton, meanwhile, only raised $2.5 mil running in a competitive CD in a good year when she last ran for office. She's also not sitting on anything.

It's easier to raise money state wide then for congress.

I think Pillich is facing an uphill battle, Whaleys going to steal all the thunder as the loud mouth progressive, Sutton will suck up the labor money, Schiavoni will hold his own as the only man in the field.
Sutton: 42
Schiavoni:32
Whaley: 16
Pillich:10
That's my guess right now.

I think there's definitely Dettelbach bias coming from you two, considering a prominent democrat leader in my neck of the woods answered "who?" When I asked what she thought of him. After googling him she still had no idea who he was. That's bad.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #312 on: March 13, 2017, 10:48:08 PM »

I think Pillich is facing an uphill battle, Whaleys going to steal all the thunder as the loud mouth progressive, Sutton will suck up the labor money, Schiavoni will hold his own as the only man in the field.

I think there's definitely Dettelbach bias coming from you two, considering a prominent democrat leader in my neck of the woods answered "who?" When I asked what she thought of him. After googling him she still had no idea who he was. That's bad.

No offense or anything, but what is your neck of the woods?  I only ask b/c if it's rural Northwestern OH  or somewhere like Highland County, that'd explain it.
Rjjr77
« Reply #313 on: March 13, 2017, 11:04:13 PM »

No offense or anything, but what is your neck of the woods?  I only ask b/c if it's rural Northwestern OH  or somewhere like Highland County, that'd explain it.
Urban NW Ohio.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #314 on: March 13, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »

If you're running for Governor. If you're running for Senator. Maybe if you're running for Attorney General. Treasurer, Secretary of State, or Auditor? I'd beg to differ.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm not sure where you get the idea Whaley is a loudmouth? She's a fairly middle-of-the-road candidate, for all the hopes placed on her. Also very unconvinced she'll get in, personally.

Sure. But I've not meant to say he's entering as some ultra-heavy weight. I'm saying he's a contender who, when he is finally thrown into the ring, should punch in the applicable weight class. It's mid-March of 2017, after all. The primary isn't for another year yet.
Rjjr77
« Reply #315 on: March 13, 2017, 11:23:12 PM »

If you're running for Governor. If you're running for Senator. Maybe if you're running for Attorney General. Treasurer, Secretary of State, or Auditor? I'd beg to differ.

I'm not sure where you get the idea Whaley is a loudmouth? She's a fairly middle-of-the-road candidate, for all the hopes placed on her. Also very unconvinced she'll get in, personally.

Sure. But I've not meant to say he's entering as some ultra-heavy weight. I'm saying he's a contender who, when he is finally thrown into the ring, should punch in the applicable weight class. It's mid-March of 2017, after all. The primary isn't for another year yet.

Whaleys no fool, and not afraid to drag national political issues into her city, she'll run as the bombastic candidate nationalizing the primary. I'm hearing she's in.

I think Dettelbach is a candidate, who for treasurer or auditor or even SOS would have some punching power, I don't think he'll be able to punch up to Yost, when no one knows him and he's a campaign novice.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #316 on: March 13, 2017, 11:24:27 PM »

Having worked finance in a small capacity for an (admittedly lackluster) AG candidate, I can verify that downticket statewide fundraising is a terrible experience.
Rjjr77
« Reply #317 on: March 13, 2017, 11:30:57 PM »
« Edited: March 13, 2017, 11:34:27 PM by Rjjr77 »

Having worked finance in a small capacity for an (admittedly lackluster) AG candidate, I can verify that downticket statewide fundraising is a terrible experience.

I've done it in other states, it's a lot easier down ticket then you think. Having an OK candidate, especially against a disliked incumbent as Pillich had, makes it pretty easy to raise that kind of cash. Even Boyce raised 2 million for treasurer.

The only statewide Ds past two cycles to really struggle fundraising ran against Husted.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2017, 10:11:35 PM »

Basically had it confirmed that Whaley will announce next week.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #319 on: March 15, 2017, 10:44:05 PM »

Basically had it confirmed that Whaley will announce next week.

Ugh
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »

If you're asking "who?" you're not alone. Kiefer is a former Wayne County Commissioner who hasn't been in office since the early 90's. He tried to make a comeback last cycle running for the State House but lost as a Republican. He's running for Governor as a Democrat.

Why people like this run for higher office eludes me.
Rjjr77
« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »

If you're asking "who?" you're not alone. Kiefer is a former Wayne County Commissioner who hasn't been in office since the early 90's. He tried to make a comeback last cycle running for the State House but lost as a Republican. He's running for Governor as a Democrat.

Why people like this run for higher office eludes me.

He's got one leg
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #322 on: March 17, 2017, 08:47:01 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2017, 08:53:23 AM by BuckeyeNut »

Yes We Can Columbus, a sort of leftist sub-organization with the Columbus Democratic Party, is now an official branch of the Working Families Party.

Also, State Representative Wes Retherford (R-Hamilton) was arrested a few days ago, after being found drunkenly passed out in a McDonald's drive-thru with a loaded gun in his vehicle. Retherford, who was elected to a third term last fall, has been charged with a DUI and mishandling a firearm, a felony.

He hasn't said he'll resign, but the Butler County GOP has asked him to.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #323 on: March 17, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »

Could the Dems pick his seat up?
Rjjr77
« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »

One, if he resigns they'll be an appointment, depending on when the resignation comes there'd be no special.
Two, I don't think there are any democrats left in Butler County.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies