OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:39:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 183355 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: March 17, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »

Because of the appointment process alone, no. It's actually a really good move to have someone resign from the Ohio State House, as far as the Caucuses are concerned. If you have a super early replacement, you basically can have someone in the House for 10 years, or the Senate for 12, as appointments don't count toward term limits.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #326 on: March 17, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2017, 04:23:45 PM by Chris B »

I had a question for the OH experts. If Trump does fire Cordray in the distant future, when is the absolute latest that Cordray could go home and run for governor in that scenario and still be a viable candidate?
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #327 on: March 17, 2017, 05:23:48 PM »

I believe it's been said he'd need to be in by the end of May.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2017, 08:19:20 AM »

Congresman Jim Renacci to file gubernatorial paperwork later this morning. While largely unknown outside of his district, he is one of the wealthiest members of Congress and can play off his early support for Trump.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2017, 08:43:12 AM »

Congresman Jim Renacci to file gubernatorial paperwork later this morning. While largely unknown outside of his district, he is one of the wealthiest members of Congress and can play off his early support for Trump.

Well okay then Tongue  If Renacci wants to throw away his political career, I certainly won't complain. 

The Democrats should definitely try to recruit a top-tier candidate here.  This seat is winnable, especially in a Democratic year.  Even Sutton almost beat Renacci (admittedly a weak-ish incumbent, but so was Sutton) in 2012.  While I'd prefer a stronger recruit who hasn't...you know...already lost here (ideally someone from either the swingy/mildly Republican-leaning Cuyahoga County portion or a moderates from the Summit County portion besides Sutton).  Actually, if we can't find such a recruit then at the very least Sutton could at least drop down and run here as wave insurance.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:15 AM »

Well okay then Tongue  If Renacci wants to throw away his political career, I certainly won't complain. 

The Democrats should definitely try to recruit a top-tier candidate here.  This seat is winnable, especially in a Democratic year.  Even Sutton almost beat Renacci (admittedly a weak-ish incumbent, but so was Sutton) in 2012.  While I'd prefer a stronger recruit who hasn't...you know...already lost here (ideally someone from either the swingy/mildly Republican-leaning Cuyahoga County portion or a moderates from the Summit County portion besides Sutton).  Actually, if we can't find such a recruit then at the very least Sutton could at least drop down and run here as wave insurance.

56-40 Trump, IIRC. Not impossible, but - difficult.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »

If it's open in a good year, the 14th is a fine target. So long as someone other than Wager runs.

I could see, perhaps worryingly, Tom Sawyer trying to make a comeback?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »

If it's open in a good year, the 14th is a fine target. So long as someone other than Wager runs.

Renacci represents the 16th, but yes, the 14th is a good target regardless of what Joyce does.

That number is pretty deceptive.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2017, 10:53:36 AM »

Renacci represents the 16th, but yes, the 14th is a good target regardless of what Joyce does.
Oh, right. My mistake.
Rjjr77
« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2017, 11:27:17 AM »

With a bad republican in a big d year sure...
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »

I'm surprised that it would have to be that soon. As the Dem field seems to be relatively lackluster at the moment, perhaps he could afford to wait for a bit longer if it doesn't improve in the mean time?
Rjjr77
« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2017, 06:58:38 PM »

I'm surprised that it would have to be that soon. As the Dem field seems to be relatively lackluster at the moment, perhaps he could afford to wait for a bit longer if it doesn't improve in the mean time?
Filing deadline is January / February sometime, but he'd need a full staff and apparatus ready to win a deep divided primary. I'd say may is the latest he could enter barring a field clearing incident
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2017, 08:39:01 PM »

Filing deadline is January / February sometime, but he'd need a full staff and apparatus ready to win a deep divided primary. I'd say may is the latest he could enter barring a field clearing incident
Especially with Nan Whaley announcing "any day now."
Rjjr77
« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:14 PM »

Especially with Nan Whaley announcing "any day now."
Yep. The dem primary has the makings of a nastier primary than the R one as there isn't too much separating the bottom tier from the top. While things can change on the R side, I think it's clear right now that Husted and Dewine are on one level and Taylor and Renacci on a lower one.
JMT

« Reply #339 on: March 21, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »

This is shaping up to be quite a crowded race on both sides... are there still any candidates we expect will run? Nan Whaley apparently is announcing any day now. Will Nina Turner run? Any other candidates?

For republicans, we have Taylor, DeWine and Renacci. Will Husted get in too? Any other candidates?

With such a crowded field, I'm wondering if any of these candidates will drop out to run for a different office (either for Congress or another statewide office).

Does anyone want to predict a general election matchup?
Rjjr77
« Reply #340 on: March 21, 2017, 11:54:24 AM »

This is shaping up to be quite a crowded race on both sides... are there still any candidates we expect will run? Nan Whaley apparently is announcing any day now. Will Nina Turner run? Any other candidates?

For republicans, we have Taylor, DeWine and Renacci. Will Husted get in too? Any other candidates?

With such a crowded field, I'm wondering if any of these candidates will drop out to run for a different office (either for Congress or another statewide office).

Husted is definitely in. I don't think Nina Turner is in, but in all honesty I could see Kucinich get in.

I'm doubting any one of these candidates leaves the race, MAYBE Taylor, but I doubt it.

I'm predicting a Husted Vs. Sutton matchup.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #341 on: March 21, 2017, 03:17:13 PM »

I'm mostly in agreement with what RJJR said, however, there's a small chance Husted runs for Senate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #342 on: March 21, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »

Husted is definitely in. I don't think Nina Turner is in, but in all honesty I could see Kucinich get in.

I'm doubting any one of these candidates leaves the race, MAYBE Taylor, but I doubt it.

I would say the Democratic race belongs to Richard Cordray or Jay Williams - if they run. Husted will hold the young vote and moderates/libertarians.
Rjjr77
« Reply #343 on: March 22, 2017, 01:26:05 AM »

I would say the Democratic race belongs to Richard Cordray or Jay Williams - if they run. Husted will hold the young vote and moderates/libertarians.

Jay Williams won't run. Cordray, needs to get in, he's got a bit over a month in my mind. If williams Rand he'd probably finish near the bottom of this pack. I wouldn't be surprised if he ran for Schiavonis spot.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: March 22, 2017, 09:11:13 AM »

In non election news: Former House Freedom Caucus chairman, Jim Jordan and his little buddy, Warren Davidson, who succeeded Boehner in the House, are set to oppose the ACHA from it's right, while Hamilton County-area Congressmen Steve Chabot and Brad Wenstrup seem undecided on the bill.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #345 on: March 26, 2017, 10:38:35 AM »

The Trump Administration is taking the CFPB, and by proxy, Cordray, to court, and the Justice Department won't be allowed to defend them. Given the seemingly long timeline for taking the CPFB to court, I doubt more than ever that Cordray makes it into the race.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #346 on: March 26, 2017, 12:57:10 PM »

Which wouldnt be a problem if we had Tim Ryan...

Well, it's an issue for TD Tongue
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: March 30, 2017, 09:08:38 AM »

Franklin County Auditor, Clarence Mingo, will primary State Rep. Robert Sprague for Treasurer.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #348 on: March 30, 2017, 10:01:02 AM »

Time for Cordray to quit, run for Governor, and make his way to the White House. Tongue
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #349 on: March 30, 2017, 03:58:09 PM »

Time for Cordray to quit, run for Governor, and make his way to the White House. Tongue

I hope I'm wrong but, realistically, I'd say that if he's not out of the CFPB (whether by resignation or removal) by the end of June, then 1) OH's not getting Gov. Cordray in '18; & 2) your timeline is indeed screwed lol
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies