OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 183345 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 01, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »

BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #551 on: June 01, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »

Heard at an event that while Springer for Governor talk is nonsense, he might be looking at OH-01.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #552 on: June 01, 2017, 09:56:43 PM »

I wish she was asked how she squares her strong opposition to the ACA and even Kasich's Medicaid expansion when both have been integral for tens of thousands of families getting their loved ones treatment, and cutting either will only allow the epidemic to further explode. I'm rather cheesed at her compete disconnect between her exceptionally wealthy family having the resources to get good--or any treatment--and wrongly assuming or otherwise ignoring that such resources are scarce even for middle class families.

Ooh. Here's a quote from the Dispatch:

Despite her personal story and six-year service in the Kasich administration, Taylor does not yet have a detailed plan on how she would fight the opioid epidemic if she is elected governor.

“We need a comprehensive solution and it’s going to involve the feds. It’s going to involve everybody,” she said. “We need law enforcement, we need community activists, we need churches and faith-based groups. A comprehensive solution is going to be just that.”

A centerpiece to Kasich’s approach, however, is opposed by Taylor. Kasich initiated an expansion of Medicaid, made possible by Obamacare, and has been accepting federal funds to serve an additional 715,000 low-income Ohioans, including roughly 215,000 with drug abuse and addiction issues.

“Right now, Obamacare, including Medicaid, is not sustainable,” Taylor said. “So, the ball is in the court of Washington now. They have to figure out what they’re going to do going forward with regard to any provisions related to Obamacare.”

Sharfstein said Medicaid is the largest payer of addiction treatment services in many states and its expansion has given millions of adults with drug problems access to treatment.

“There is no substitute for Medicaid. There is no huge source of money that is going to be available to supplant it,” he said. “I think this is important for anyone that wants to help on addiction to take a clear-eyed, non-ideological, evidence-based look. What is it that is providing treatment that can save people’s lives? Bottom line is it’s Medicaid.”

Taylor doesn’t buy that throwing money at the problem will solve it.

“I’m prepared to fund the plan that I put in place but I don’t think right now there is a comprehensive plan that I have seen…that actually is going to make progress,”
she said. “At the end of the day, we want to save lives. We want to get it off our street, get it out of our state and save lives — all three of those.” (emphasis added)

Dee-lite-full., Mary.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #553 on: June 02, 2017, 09:55:26 AM »

DeWine is in trouble. Husted has announced the support of 35 GOP county Chairs and Vice Chairs from 29 counties. That's the leadership in one-third of Ohio's counties.

Joe Schiavoni, meanwhile, has landed the first national union endorsement from the Utility Workers Union of America.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #554 on: June 02, 2017, 10:04:13 AM »

I'm thinking both primary (and general) are lean Husted

But OH posters would obviously know better
Rjjr77
« Reply #555 on: June 02, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »

I'm thinking both primary (and general) are lean Husted

But OH posters would obviously know better

I agree. We'll see what the next fundraising numbers are but if husted stays ahead of Dewine as he has so far I think it's his to lose
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #556 on: June 02, 2017, 10:37:55 AM »

The early fundraising numbers were bad for DeWine. This is worse. It's still very early yet, but for the primary at least, I agree with RJ. this is Husted's to lose.

I don't want to prognosticate on the general yet.
Rjjr77
« Reply #557 on: June 02, 2017, 10:42:07 AM »

The early fundraising numbers were bad for DeWine. This is worse. It's still very early yet, but for the primary at least, I agree with RJ. this is Husted's to lose.

I don't want to prognosticate on the general yet.

I mean it's tough to say with the general, but I think we can all agree that Husted would be the democrat's nightmare opponent. While predicting the winner at this juncture is probably a folly, we'd all agree husted would start the favorite against those currently in on the democrat side.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: June 02, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »

Husted goes in favored. How much, IDK, which is why I don't want to prognosticate on the specifics of the general. At this juncture, best to worst Republican opponent for the Democrats goes:

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.
Rjjr77
« Reply #559 on: June 02, 2017, 11:03:54 AM »

Husted goes in favored. How much, IDK, which is why I don't want to prognosticate on the specifics of the general. At this juncture, best to worst Republican opponent for the Democrats goes:

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #560 on: June 02, 2017, 02:58:58 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I
Rjjr77
« Reply #561 on: June 02, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

more I think about it, there is something special about husted, hes conservative in the right areas for conservatives, moderate  in the right areas for moderates. If he wasn't a white man he'd probably be one of the biggest rising stars in the national republican party
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #562 on: June 02, 2017, 09:19:10 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

more I think about it, there is something special about husted, hes conservative in the right areas for conservatives, moderate  in the right areas for moderates. If he wasn't a white man he'd probably be one of the biggest rising stars in the national republican party

And Democrats don't mind him that much because we know at the end of the day, he's one of the few Ohio Republicans we can work with.
Rjjr77
« Reply #563 on: June 02, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

more I think about it, there is something special about husted, hes conservative in the right areas for conservatives, moderate  in the right areas for moderates. If he wasn't a white man he'd probably be one of the biggest rising stars in the national republican party

And Democrats don't mind him that much because we know at the end of the day, he's one of the few Ohio Republicans we can work with.

This  also. I could see him getting dem crossovers depending on the candidate. I actually think if his name is Juan Husted he'd be tapped gop's future
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #564 on: June 03, 2017, 02:44:58 AM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

Why Democrats think we can work with someone who purged 550,000 voters and has been awful for voting rights is beyond me. Am I the only one who remembers fighting for Golden Week in '14?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #565 on: June 03, 2017, 07:22:27 AM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

Why Democrats think we can work with someone who purged 550,000 voters and has been awful for voting rights is beyond me. Am I the only one who remembers fighting for Golden Week in '14?

No, but he didn't try to screw around with the ballot language on the SB5 repeal, refused to endorse Trump (actually refused, not the BS "I support the nominee" schtick Portman has), and seems at least somewhat open to redistricting reform.  I mean, I wouldn't vote for him for Governor, but I do think he has crossover appeal.
Rjjr77
« Reply #566 on: June 03, 2017, 04:50:21 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

This is where I diverge, people should be purged if they can't return a card asking them if they want to stay active (btw every sos has done that including Brunner) and I hate golden week. There has to be separation between voting and registration for the actual running of the elections to prepare poll books.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #567 on: June 03, 2017, 04:59:08 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

This is where I diverge, people should be purged if they can't return a card asking them if they want to stay active (btw every sos has done that including Brunner) and I hate golden week. There has to be separation between voting and registration for the actual running of the elections to prepare poll books.

Cards can be missed. When I have clinical depression I don't check my mail. That doesn't mean I don't want to stay active.
Rjjr77
« Reply #568 on: June 03, 2017, 08:21:40 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

Cards can be missed. When I have clinical depression I don't check my mail. That doesn't mean I don't want to stay active.

If you don't vote (or sign a petition or any political activity) for 5 years you receive a card, if you don't reply to the card you get a second, if you miss that you are placed on inactive, if you then do no political activity for another 3 years you are removed. That seems pretty darn reasonable, regardless of your afflictions.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #569 on: June 03, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

No, but he didn't try to screw around with the ballot language on the SB5 repeal, refused to endorse Trump (actually refused, not the BS "I support the nominee" schtick Portman has), and seems at least somewhat open to redistricting reform.  I mean, I wouldn't vote for him for Governor, but I do think he has crossover appeal.
Didn't he help nuke that in 2012 when he screwed around with the ballot language?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #570 on: June 04, 2017, 07:54:50 AM »

• Taylor
  • Renacci
  • DeWine
  • Husted

In my opinion, OFC.

Completely agree

As do I

Didn't he help nuke that in 2012 when he screwed around with the ballot language?

Hence the word "somewhat," he's moderated on the issue since then, I believe.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #571 on: June 04, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2017, 09:48:16 AM by Rust Belt or Die »

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to purge a voter from the rolls is in the rare case of actual voter fraud. Brunner acting in the same way doesn't make me respect Husted more, it makes me respect Brunner less.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #572 on: June 04, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, the only reason to purge a voter from the rolls is in the rare case of actual voter fraud. Brunner acting in the same way doesn't make me respect Husted more, it makes me respect Brunnsr less.

I'm not saying I'd vote for Husted for Governor or anything, but there are definitely far worse in the OH Republican Party.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #573 on: June 05, 2017, 10:55:13 AM »

DeWine's lawsuit against opioid companies gains bi-partisan support with Dettelbach bucking Chairman Pepper and actively supporting the suits, while the cities of Dayton and Lorain are launching their own seperate suits. This is of note, in my mind, because Whaley is running for Governor and Mayor Ritenauer of Lorain is speculated to run for Auditor. This could equate to a political partnership down the line.

I also noticed while watching the Cav's game last night that the Drug Price Standards Initiative is running an ad featuring Max Cleland. Guess they started running it last Tuesday. Pretty decent ad.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #574 on: June 09, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »

If Cordray doesn't run, then I'm hoping that Schiavoni wins the primary. He does strike me as the strongest prospect out of the candidates actually running ATM.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies