OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:20:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 183367 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: October 11, 2017, 07:34:32 AM »

The Republican candidates for Governor took the debate stage Sunday night, with moderator Frank Luntz -- remember him? He's done some interesting polling of the race -- and the one thing all candidates seemed to agree upon: Kasich's not conservative enough.

At the end of the debate, Luntz pleaded with the candidates to keep it civil. Since then, a Renacci campaign team member posted this to Facebook.

Renacci has next to no-shot, but his feud with Husted is getting ugly, and Husted has been firing back. If Democrats are lucky, Renacci might push DeWine over the top, or inspire some hardline conservatives to stay home because, in his own words, Husted is a "liberal."

Could happen, I have a feeling it may not. Husted appears to be doing the best, hes got a super pac up on TV, and he seems to be making all the correct moves. I think the polls will show Dewine leading, but its Husteds to lose
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #876 on: October 11, 2017, 09:58:46 AM »

The only saving grace of one of them winning is them Brownbacking the state and helps flip it back by 2020.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #877 on: October 11, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

Renacci now making claims Husted threatened his wife at church. If he's willing to actually spend the money he loaned himself, he could do some serious damage.
SamTilden2020

« Reply #878 on: October 11, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »

The only saving grace of one of them winning is them Brownbacking the state and helps flip it back by 2020.

Last I checked, Brownback still won in 2014:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_gubernatorial_election,_2014

Still, I get your point. One of them winning would have difficulty getting reelected.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #879 on: October 11, 2017, 01:07:21 PM »

Renacci now making claims Husted threatened his wife at church. If he's willing to actually spend the money he loaned himself, he could do some serious damage.

Lol what
Rjjr77
« Reply #880 on: October 11, 2017, 01:27:51 PM »

I find this a touch ridiculous because article initially reporting it said all the witnesses said there was no threatening action.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #881 on: October 11, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »

Wanted to ask, why would Husted be the better GE Candidate and why do some people here think he can beat DeWine?  From an outsider looking at the polling, DeWine appears to be the frontrunner.
Rjjr77
« Reply #882 on: October 11, 2017, 11:36:25 PM »

Wanted to ask, why would Husted be the better GE Candidate and why do some people here think he can beat DeWine?  From an outsider looking at the polling, DeWine appears to be the frontrunner.

Dewine has high name ID but a ton of baggage, husted is dynamic, younger, conservative in all the right issues, moderate enough for cross over voters, likeable, and good looking. If his name was Juan Husted he'd be talked about as the next GOP president. Even liberal democrats in Ohio would say they don't hate him.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #883 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:45 PM »

Dewine has high name ID but a ton of baggage, husted is dynamic, younger, conservative in all the right issues, moderate enough for cross over voters, likeable, and good looking. If his name was Juan Husted he'd be talked about as the next GOP president. Even liberal democrats in Ohio would say they don't hate him.

Pretty much this. Though the last bit was much more true before 2014. Purging voter rolls and killing Golden Week has tarnished his reputation a fair bit.
Rjjr77
« Reply #884 on: October 12, 2017, 06:43:20 AM »

Pretty much this. Though the last bit was much more true before 2014. Purging voter rolls and killing Golden Week has tarnished his reputation a fair bit.

Purging voter rolls stuff is such nonsense, Sherrod Brown and Jennifer Brunner both did the same thing as SOS.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #885 on: October 12, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »

Agreed.  Husted doesn't have the crossover appeal with Democrats that he once did although I do think he's still seen as someone we can at least have a functional working relationship with if he's elected in a way that DeWine isn't.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #886 on: October 12, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »

Purging voter rolls stuff is such nonsense, Sherrod Brown and Jennifer Brunner both did the same thing as SOS.

There was never any concerted partisan effort to do so under either of them. Let's face facts shall we? Whatever Republican is elected as Secretary of State they become the de facto director of voter suppression. There's not an ounce of hyperbole in that, and while no Republican will ever publicly admit it, and even many privately won't as they convince themselves they are really truly honestly fighting voter fraud that exists somewhere somehow in an unproven form, privately it's well known by the leadership this is to suppress the Democratic vote.
Rjjr77
« Reply #887 on: October 12, 2017, 12:23:29 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2017, 12:25:39 PM by Rjjr77 »

Wanted to ask, why would Husted be the better GE Candidate and why do some people here think he can beat DeWine?  From an outsider looking at the polling, DeWine appears to be the frontrunner.

There was never any concerted partisan effort to do so under either of them. Let's face facts shall we? Whatever Republican is elected as Secretary of State they become the de facto director of voter suppression. There's not an ounce of hyperbole in that, and while no Republican will ever publicly admit it, and even many privately won't as they convince themselves they are really truly honestly fighting voter fraud that exists somewhere somehow in an unproven form, privately it's well known by the leadership this is to suppress the Democratic vote.

What effort was there under Husted? Almost everything he's been sued for was done under democrat predecessors?

The problem is Voter Fraud exists, but in small amounts. Illegal voting is much more rampant but is all but impossible to prove. But Voter Suppression doesnt really exist either. The left has created a narrative just as the right did with voter fraud to energize their base. Cutting golden week? Jennifer Brunner actually proposed that well before the legislature enacted it. 17 year olds not being able to vote for president in primaries? been done that way since the law allowing 17 year olds to vote in primaries was enacted. Voter "purge" of people who hadnt voted in multiple elections and didnt return the cards? been done under ever secretary of state for decades. Its hogwash.

Shoot and when it comes to Husted theres no gerrymandering argument either, as he proposed bills before 2010 to have bipartisan redistricting and the house democrats blocked it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #888 on: October 12, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »

So my response to Brunner and Brown also purged voter rolls is the same as it was last time: that doesn't make me think any better of Husted, it makes me think worse of Brunner and Brown.
Rjjr77
« Reply #889 on: October 12, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »

So my response to Brunner and Brown also purged voter rolls is the same as it was last time: that doesn't make me think any better of Husted, it makes me think worse of Brunner and Brown.

So how do you remove people from the rolls who have moved or died? How do you keep poll books updated without them being gigantic? Genuine routine maintenance is necessary to run an actual election. There has to be SOMETHING folks on the left think can be done to update voter rolls that they find acceptable? 
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #890 on: October 12, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »

I think removing the dead is perfectly fine, once verified. And I suppose the same goes for moving, again, once verified. But I think it's wrong to remove voters for inactivity. The right to vote shouldn't be use-it-or-lose-it.
Rjjr77
« Reply #891 on: October 12, 2017, 01:43:31 PM »

I think removing the dead is perfectly fine, once verified. And I suppose the same goes for moving, again, once verified. But I think it's wrong to remove voters for inactivity. The right to vote shouldn't be use-it-or-lose-it.

No one is removed for inactivity. They are flagged for inactivity, they are removed for failing to confirm their address via a card.

The problem is people die out of state, people move all the time, and its easy to say "yeah thats only a handful" but if there isnt maintenance on the voter rolls those numbers swell to enormously burdensome lists for county boards to have to deal with. Think of places with large public universities that will have students on their rolls forever
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #892 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:34 PM »

No one is removed for inactivity. They are flagged for inactivity, they are removed for failing to confirm their address via a card.

The problem is people die out of state, people move all the time, and its easy to say "yeah thats only a handful" but if there isnt maintenance on the voter rolls those numbers swell to enormously burdensome lists for county boards to have to deal with. Think of places with large public universities that will have students on their rolls forever

Call the bolded what you will, but that's boils down to removal for inactivity, in effect. I personally watch my incoming mail like a hawk, especially anything that looks like it comes from the Secretary of StateMs office, but most people don't. And I, for one, don't want to fault people for their being human. in this digital age of ours, there has to be a better way to verify residence.

And frankly, I work with one of the largest Boards of Election in the state on a semi-regular basis, and roll maitanence doesn't seem like that big of a problem. But that's anecdotal.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #893 on: October 15, 2017, 10:19:11 AM »

Justice Bill O'Neill, the sole Democrat on the State SC, is looking to make good on his earlier statement that he would run for Governor should neither Cordray or Turner file. Expect an announcement out on the 29th.

sigh
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #894 on: October 15, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »

Justice Bill O'Neill, the sole Democrat on the State SC, is looking to make good on his earlier statement that he would run for Governor should neither Cordray or Turner file. Expect an announcement out on the 29th.

sigh

Why? 
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #895 on: October 15, 2017, 04:27:36 PM »

sigh

Why? 

Your guess is as good as mine.

He seems to be a bit of a media whore, and we all know he's a bit of a bombast. He says he thinks none of the other candidates can win. He also says he'd actually raise money this time, so that's something. Incidentally, the 29th is the date of the second Democratic primary debate. I fear he may be serious.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #896 on: October 16, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »

House Majority Leader Dorothy Palenda has ended her campaign for Secretary of State.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #897 on: October 17, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »

Fresh off the heels of State Rep. Palenda's announcement she would not continue to seek the Secretary of State's office, Franklin County Auditor has announced he will not seek the State Treasurer's office. This leaves the Republicans with no contested primaries other than the Gubernatorial. (And the Senatorial, but wrong thread.)

Also, greater Toledo-area State Senator Cliff Hite has unexpectedly resigned without elaboration. I'm actually fairly saddened by this, as he was one of few Republicans in the state legislature that could be worked with on energy issues.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #898 on: October 17, 2017, 04:08:11 PM »

Fresh off the heels of State Rep. Palenda's announcement she would not continue to seek the Secretary of State's office, Franklin County Auditor has announced he will not seek the State Treasurer's office. This leaves the Republicans with no contested primaries other than the Gubernatorial. (And the Senatorial, but wrong thread.)

Also, greater Toledo-area State Senator Cliff Hite has unexpectedly resigned without elaboration. I'm actually fairly saddened by this, as he was one of few Republicans in the state legislature that could be worked with on energy issues.

Told ya Tongue 
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #899 on: October 17, 2017, 04:19:17 PM »

Told ya Tongue 

Just means FCDP needs to hurry up and recruit somebody. After O'Brien hanging on last cycle, can't take this spot for granted.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies