OH: More Money Stuff (August)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:03:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 79
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 184433 times)
Rjjr77
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1075 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »

It could be. But, on paper, it's hard to argue with +90% name recognition, and +60% approval rating. Husted's fundraising prowess is extraordinary, but we'll see.

Not like there's been much polling yet. Though if DeWine does win, it should be narrowly.

Its too early to talk about name ID and approval, Dewines made a lot of bad votes in republicans minds, no one has reminded people of them in the past, lets not forget he BARELY won in 2010 in a big republican year.

DeWine shouldn't be talking about his votes, anyway. He should be talking about his work as AG. But you have a point.

2010 was weird, and a better year for Democrats at the top of the ticket than people realize. Strickland only lost by 2%. That said, Cordray would have lost by much more than 1% if it there weren't a Constitutional and a Libertarian candidate in the AG's race.

DeWine wont be talking about his votes, but the other 3 candidates will be.

There's a reason there were a constitutional and libertarian candidate, DeWine was considered an anti-gun liberal.

Cordray and Strickland were buoyed by NRA endorsements as well.

Ah yes, the before times. When the NRA wasn't yet a solely partisan organization.

You can't tell me you think Cordray wouldn't have lost by a much larger margin were is a head-to-head election, can you?

I dont think he would have, not a much larger margin, I think some of the gun folks would have pulled the trigger for him over DeWine without another option, I also think a lot of people would have skipped it.

I also dont think the NRA is as much a "solely partisan organization" as much as Democrats have abandoned gun rights. Cordray could very well get the endorsement if he doesnt "evolve" (i expect he will ni the primary) and DeWine wins the primary.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #1076 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:58 PM »

It could be. But, on paper, it's hard to argue with +90% name recognition, and +60% approval rating. Husted's fundraising prowess is extraordinary, but we'll see.

Not like there's been much polling yet. Though if DeWine does win, it should be narrowly.

Its too early to talk about name ID and approval, Dewines made a lot of bad votes in republicans minds, no one has reminded people of them in the past, lets not forget he BARELY won in 2010 in a big republican year.

DeWine shouldn't be talking about his votes, anyway. He should be talking about his work as AG. But you have a point.

2010 was weird, and a better year for Democrats at the top of the ticket than people realize. Strickland only lost by 2%. That said, Cordray would have lost by much more than 1% if it there weren't a Constitutional and a Libertarian candidate in the AG's race.

There's a reason there were a constitutional and libertarian candidate, DeWine was considered an anti-gun liberal.

Ah yes, the before times. When the NRA wasn't yet a solely partisan organization.

You can't tell me you think Cordray wouldn't have lost by a much larger margin were is a head-to-head election, can you?

I dont think he would have, not a much larger margin, I think some of the gun folks would have pulled the trigger for him over DeWine without another option, I also think a lot of people would have skipped it.

I also dont think the NRA is as much a "solely partisan organization" as much as Democrats have abandoned gun rights. Cordray could very well get the endorsement if he doesnt "evolve" (i expect he will ni the primary) and DeWine wins the primary.

You've got a point, but I think it's somewhat cyclical.

Yes, you've got people like Ted Strickland who was basically forced to conceded his pro-gun stance, and so of course the NRA wasn't going to endorse. But you also had situations where pro-gun Democrats ran against pro-gun Republicans, and when the NRA generally went with the Republicans despite strong Democrats, you saw Democrats abandon the issue.* IMO, this created a powerful negative feedback loop.

* Strickland 2010 is the exception that proves the rule in this case.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1077 on: November 21, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »

You've got a point, but I think it's somewhat cyclical.

Yes, you've got people like Ted Strickland who was basically forced to conceded his pro-gun stance, and so of course the NRA wasn't going to endorse. But you also had situations where pro-gun Democrats ran against pro-gun Republicans, and when the NRA generally went with the Republicans despite strong Democrats, you saw Democrats abandon the issue.* IMO, this created a powerful negative feedback loop.

* Strickland 2010 is the exception that proves the rule in this case.

I honestly can't think of too many pro- gun democrats who didn't get NRA endorsements. Koster got the endorsement in Missouri, problem is not too many pro gun democrats remain.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1078 on: November 22, 2017, 08:31:27 AM »

Well, that's another problem. Pro-gun Democrats don't do a whole lot of winning anymore, and since it never seems to be a winning issue for Democrats, why bother?

Unrelated: It looks like there might be a "What did he know, and when did he know it?" situation brewing re: Speaker Rosenberger's knowledge of Wes Goodman's history of sexual predation on younger men. Could Goodman -- and other allegations against Representatives -- create the sort of local scandal we saw contribute to Republicans loss in '06?

I'm doubtful, but hope springs eternal.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1079 on: November 22, 2017, 11:56:30 AM »

Well, that's another problem. Pro-gun Democrats don't do a whole lot of winning anymore, and since it never seems to be a winning issue for Democrats, why bother?

Unrelated: It looks like there might be a "What did he know, and when did he know it?" situation brewing re: Speaker Rosenberger's knowledge of Wes Goodman's history of sexual predation on younger men. Could Goodman -- and other allegations against Representatives -- create the sort of local scandal we saw contribute to Republicans loss in '06?

I dont think it does really, this is more a speakers race issue than anything else
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1080 on: November 22, 2017, 12:06:47 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2017, 12:16:59 PM by Cucks Against Cordray »

I dont think it does really, this is more a speakers race issue than anything else

As I said, hope springs eternal. Spillover could, in theory, happen.

Also, 3rd Rail Politics says Kucinich is testing out fundraising calls to run for Governor. Which, **** me, maybe we do get a 6 way primary. Even though it's a blog, 3rd Rail is pretty well-sourced.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1081 on: November 22, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »

Also, 3rd Rail Politics says Kucinich is testing out fundraising calls to run for Governor. Which, **** me, maybe we do get a 6 way primary. Even though it's a blog, 3rd Rail is pretty well-sourced.

3rd Rail appears to be a crap blog that posts literally anything regardless of truth, but a lot of cap square people tattle to it. I'm pretty sure ECOT is paying for it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1082 on: November 22, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »

3rd Rail appears to be a crap blog that posts literally anything regardless of truth, but a lot of cap square people tattle to it. I'm pretty sure ECOT is paying for it.

Who the heck knows. I for one am not going to pay $30/month for the Plain Dealer's insider newsletter. (Or the Enquirer's, or the Dispatch's.)

3rd Rail's track record is decent enough, and I frankly wouldn't be surprised if Kucinich was caking up donors. He attempted to meddle with the Columbus municipal elections earlier this year, he was also making a fair bit of ruckus through the summer. And while the ODP might not be picking favorites this cycle, Cordray's eminent entry shows the party's in a fair disarray and that the primary could well be anyone's game. I've long stated my shock at the primary only being a four-way contest, all things considered.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1083 on: November 25, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »

Been busy, but as of yesterday afternoon, Cordray is officially out as CFPB.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1084 on: November 28, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »

Oh no. Who will replace him?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1085 on: November 28, 2017, 12:32:03 AM »

There's actually a medieval-style succession crisis to become the Acting Director, in which the rightful heir, Leandra English, has the directorship stolen from her by usurper Mick Mulvaney.
Rjjr77
« Reply #1086 on: November 28, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »

There's actually a medieval-style succession crisis to become the Acting Director, in which the rightful heir, Leandra English, has the directorship stolen from her by usurper Mick Mulvaney.

I mean that is one hyper partisan way to view it...
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1087 on: November 28, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »

There's definitely a crisis, whoever is meant to be in charge. It's also absurd for Trump to try and name the Director of the OMB to also head the CFPB, but this is the Ohio thread, not the CFPB thread. And I've got little in the order of news. Though, that said, 3rd Rail put out a piece earlier concern trolling the likelihood Democrats take back the State House. I'll believe it when I see it.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1088 on: November 29, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »

New piece in Politico, Cordray Gets Lukewarm Homecoming. Largely reflects what I'm seeing on the ground.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1089 on: November 29, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »

New piece in Politico, Cordray Gets Lukewarm Homecoming. Largely reflects what I'm seeing on the ground.
I'm not from Ohio, but I get the sense he waited too long, and too many other decent choices jumped in, so not a lot of Ohio Democrats want to coronate him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1090 on: November 29, 2017, 03:25:24 PM »

Is the CFPB drama going to affect Cordray's chances in Ohio?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1091 on: November 29, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »

Had he been fired, I think he would’ve gotten the Sally Yates/Preet Bharara hero treatment. Now, he may come off as more of an opportunist that helped create the current mess.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1092 on: November 29, 2017, 04:15:02 PM »

Had he been fired, I think he would’ve gotten the Sally Yates/Preet Bharara hero treatment. Now, he may come off as more of an opportunist that helped create the current mess.

*Ding* *Ding* *Ding*
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1093 on: November 29, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »

Cordray hurt himself by trying to appoint a successor. That was clearly absurd and unconstitutional. IN no universe did he have that authority. Plus he seemed opportunistic.
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1094 on: November 29, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »

3rd Rail Politics reports that DeWine and Husted will team up and run as a ticket with DeWine for Gov. and Husted for Lt. Gov.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #1095 on: November 29, 2017, 05:50:01 PM »

Big if true. DeWine/Husted would be damn near unbeatable.

Cordray hurt himself by trying to appoint a successor. That was clearly absurd and unconstitutional. IN no universe did he have that authority. Plus he seemed opportunistic.

lol no. He followed the letter of the law setting up the Bureau in which he served. The CFPB, as you will hear many Republicans cry, is fiercely independent.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1096 on: November 29, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »

Sigh, at this point Dems just need to hope to not get blown out too much in the Governor race too much that it dooms Brown.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1097 on: November 29, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »

Is Cordray really even that popular?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1098 on: November 29, 2017, 06:34:06 PM »

Not even popular more like unknown, last time he was on the ballot was 2010 as AG and he lost. Hasn't been involved with OH politics ever since and with the way people view Washington these days I'm not sure his time there is a good thing no matter what he did.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1099 on: November 29, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »

Unclear, he certainly used to be
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length