OH: More Money Stuff (August) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:22:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH: More Money Stuff (August) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OH: More Money Stuff (August)  (Read 185211 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 29, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »

For downballot offices, I suspect Frank LaRose, Steve Austria, and Mike Duffey will run.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 05:23:43 PM »

So Jay Williams, Tim Ryan, and Joe Schiavoni all three come from Youngstown? Interesting...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 02:10:26 AM »

I can see two different scenarios for the Ohio Gubernatorial race

1. DeWine and Husted battle it out, and their attacks to eachother get so nasty that a third candidate (either Taylor or Renacci at this point) rises in the polls and gets the nomination.

2. DeWine and Husted battle it out, but are so dominant that it forces the lower tier candidates (again, Taylor and Renacci) to run for something else. I suspect this is where Mandel's primary challenge in the Senate arises.

Honestly, if Renacci doesn't see an opening, I doubt he runs for a lower statewide office. Also, Taylor seems to be the favored candidate of Kasich, even if DeWine and Husted are bigger names.

Taylor also seems to be more moderate than DeWine and Husted.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 03:06:35 PM »

Frank LaRose and Mike Duffey might run for statewide office. I would like to see one of them end up as a Governor or Senator eventually.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 05:48:18 PM »

Frank LaRose and Mike Duffey might run for statewide office. I would like to see one of them end up as a Governor or Senator eventually.

My OHGOP friends are telling me that LaRose for SecState is almost a done deal.

I told you that might happen here:
I would guess:

Governor: Mike DeWine
Lieutenant Governor: Frank LaRose
Secretary of State: Mike Duffey

Mandel is term limited out. LaRose and Duffey could switch positions. LaRose IIRC has introduced two election reform bills, while Duffey doesn't seem to have much of a record on election bills.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 07:12:26 PM »

After seeing him on real time I think Tim Ryan should of replaced Nancy. He would make a great dem nom

Yeah he's definitely to the left of Nancy.  Democrats screwed up once again.

He's to the right of Nancy Pelosi on most issues. He is undoubtedly more competent and likeable than her, though.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 10:16:36 PM »

LaRose vs. Palanda could get pretty ugly.

What would you rate that?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 06:36:57 PM »

Let's be honest he also isn't running because he wants to be a future speaker of the house

Was about to say, this is really the first major announcement of the 2018 Minority Leader contest.

Or hey, could be Speaker! Who hecking knows?
Personally I think it will be speaker, GOP is over streched, Trump is going full steam ahead on Obamacare repeal while also possiblely putting boots in the ground in Syria, and I just don't see were else the Bernie energy will go other than taking over the dems ala tea party

Why would Ds choose him over someone like Joe Crowley who has widespread support from the caucus?
I'm a NYer but Trump, Chuck, and Joe would be NY overkill

Nah man let's take it a step further. Trump, Chuck Schumer, Joe Crowley leading Dems, Peter King leading Rs, Cuomo as NGA Chair, Maloney as DCCC chair, Collins as NRCC chair, the national animal becomes NY Pizza, national anthem becomes a song from Hamilton, the county changes its name to Greater New York. NY TAKEOVER!!!!

(okay Im done)

A better national anthem for a Greater New York would be this.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »

This is shaping up to be quite a crowded race on both sides... are there still any candidates we expect will run? Nan Whaley apparently is announcing any day now. Will Nina Turner run? Any other candidates?

For republicans, we have Taylor, DeWine and Renacci. Will Husted get in too? Any other candidates?

With such a crowded field, I'm wondering if any of these candidates will drop out to run for a different office (either for Congress or another statewide office).

Does anyone want to predict a general election matchup?
Husted is definitely in. I don't think Nina Turner is in, but in all honesty I could see Kucinich get in.

I'm doubting any one of these candidates leaves the race, MAYBE Taylor, but I doubt it.

I'm predicting a Husted Vs. Sutton matchup.

I would say the Democratic race belongs to Richard Cordray or Jay Williams - if they run. Husted will hold the young vote and moderates/libertarians.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 07:27:55 PM »

Should Sutton run for Renacci's seat if she loses the primary? Or is she already, politically, old news?

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you! I feel as if I am but a mere mortal in the realm of political deities but it was about time for me to actually make an account.

We are not political deities. Just highly informed political sensationalists.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 09:41:33 PM »

Indeed. He's on the Kasich-Portman wing, which no current statewide official really is besides those two.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »

Indeed. He's on the Kasich-Portman wing, which no current statewide official really is besides those two.

So he's a conservative?

He's to the left of Taylor, DeWine, Husted, and Mandel. I would call him a moderate.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 05:27:40 PM »

So he's a conservative?

He's to the left of Taylor, DeWine, Husted, and Mandel. I would call him a moderate.

There are very few moderate Republicans in the Ohio legislature.  The Kasich-Portman wing is A) well to the right of Husted and B) extremely right-wing on economic issues.  Just because a Republican is polite and uses non-threatening language doesn't mean they're a moderate (Patton Oswalt has a great bit on this).

Neither Kasich nor Portman is to the right of Husted.

Furthermore, do you consider any Republican in either house a moderate?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »

Is there any chance of Mike Duffey running for a non-gubernatorial statewide office?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 06:27:17 PM »

At least Springer was mayor of a large city. Wouldn't be as embarrassing as Kid Rock.
Jesse Ventura was a former mayor, too.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 08:55:16 PM »

"We need a change from our popular Republican Governor." is a strange message for a Republican to run on.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 09:48:13 PM »

I'm still somewhat surprised the Dem's gubernatorial field never got any bigger, frankly.

I am too. We have some low tier, and some middle tier, but usually when you get a race with no top tier candidate you see people come out from all over. Where's the Jennifer Brunners, Nina Turners, Mike Colemans, Jay Williams,  heck someone like Marcy Kaptur could jump in and be the front runner.

Brunner is the only candidate on that list who'd even arguably be a step up from the folks running (and I'm not convinced that she'd be a better candidate than any of the current candidates aside from Sutton).

I don't know - I think Jay Williams would do pretty well, if he had run.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 11:49:45 PM »

I'm still somewhat surprised the Dem's gubernatorial field never got any bigger, frankly.

I am too. We have some low tier, and some middle tier, but usually when you get a race with no top tier candidate you see people come out from all over. Where's the Jennifer Brunners, Nina Turners, Mike Colemans, Jay Williams,  heck someone like Marcy Kaptur could jump in and be the front runner.

Brunner is the only candidate on that list who'd even arguably be a step up from the folks running (and I'm not convinced that she'd be a better candidate than any of the current candidates aside from Sutton).

I don't know - I think Jay Williams would do pretty well, if he had run.

I think he'd be a pretty weak statewide candidate, tbh.

He'd have hurt Schiavoni, being 1: another man, and 2: another Youngstown-candidate.

We've had two crap polls, so it's hard to say how people are going, but Williams presumably would have captured a larger chunk of the Black vote than any of the current candidates are.

Precisely. Winning over Youngstown and African-Americans would be important, as would his amazing background in community development, commerce, and economic development. I think he might also win over younger voters.

That said, while he might have a slight lean in the primaries, I could never see him winning the general.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »

Oh! To be clear, I don't think Williams would have a chance in the general.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »

I'd like to see Kenny Yuko or Mike Duffey run for Treasurer.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 12:29:40 AM »

Been busy, but as of yesterday afternoon, Cordray is officially out as CFPB.
Oh no. Who will replace him?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 09:04:34 PM »

Taylor and Renacci should make a similar deal.

If you ask me, I think Husted’s angling for a Senate seat and figures this will hurt him less.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies