App to Redraw the States and Change the Electoral Map
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:09:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  App to Redraw the States and Change the Electoral Map
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: App to Redraw the States and Change the Electoral Map  (Read 35251 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »

No.  My childish side just took over. Smiley
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2016, 05:02:41 PM »

I wonder what this would look like
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #102 on: December 06, 2016, 05:16:38 PM »

muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #103 on: December 06, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »

I know that the site put up a disclaimer about 2016 data not being up to date, but the 2012 data is definitely not right. For example I noticed that this app had Riverside CA going to Romney 290,227 over Obama 287,754 with Johnson+other at 11,740. The Atlas has Obama 329,063 over Romney 318,127 with other at 15,926. That's a substantial difference.

I looked at a few other counties and the app had lower vote counts than Atlas. I suspect the vote totals on the app come from a media source that quit updating late on election night or shortly thereafter. That would leave out all the late absentee and provisional ballots that are included in the official Atlas count.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #104 on: December 06, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »

I think the least number of counties you need to change the election is 4 -- move the three panhandle Florida counties to Alabama and moving Camden County to Pennsylvania. Clinton wins.
You can do it with 3. Camden to PA, Lake to WI, and Lucas to MI.
You don't even need Lake, Lucas and Camden makes a 270-268 Clinton win

That's a 269-269 tie once you consider that the app doesn't split ME's electoral votes
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: December 08, 2016, 09:57:28 PM »

What have i done...?

It's only 413-125 and it's a super blatant gerrymander but lol

Link
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2016, 11:58:23 PM »

How many EVs in that Texas-to-LA state?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2016, 02:03:04 AM »

Here's my Hillary landslide map. The states are at least somewhat reasonably shaped and all contiguous. Plus, only three states plus DC have three EV, all larger in population than Wyoming currently is, and New York is the largest state with 29 EV.

Clinton/Kaine 449
Trump/Pence 89
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2016, 07:17:52 AM »

63. It has 42 million people. Tongue
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2016, 11:18:23 AM »

I upgraded it a bit.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2016, 09:49:59 AM »

I know that the site put up a disclaimer about 2016 data not being up to date, but the 2012 data is definitely not right. For example I noticed that this app had Riverside CA going to Romney 290,227 over Obama 287,754 with Johnson+other at 11,740. The Atlas has Obama 329,063 over Romney 318,127 with other at 15,926. That's a substantial difference.

I looked at a few other counties and the app had lower vote counts than Atlas. I suspect the vote totals on the app come from a media source that quit updating late on election night or shortly thereafter. That would leave out all the late absentee and provisional ballots that are included in the official Atlas count.

I noticed the same thing, especially looking at California. It's fun to play around with, but it's not really usable until it has the finalized election results for every state.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »

I reject your GOP hack "reality" and substitute my own.
Alaska moved into Hawaii, Baja Arizona = New Alaska.
Rest of Nevada moved into California, Clark County to Texas, Oglala Lakota = New Nevada.
Wyoming stripped down to Teton, Kansas stripped down to Wyandotte, Oklahoma stripped down to Lincoln and Creek.
Due to TN sucking up some NC counties to resolve the enclave, used FL to suck up some more TN counties. Got cocky, flipped the state, threw in a bundle more TX counties to make up for it, didn't work, said screw it, ceded eastern TN back to itself. Nnow FL is 51 EVs, and TX 55.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »

I think the least number of counties you need to change the election is 4 -- move the three panhandle Florida counties to Alabama and moving Camden County to Pennsylvania. Clinton wins.
You can do it with 3. Camden to PA, Lake to WI, and Lucas to MI.
You don't even need Lake, Lucas and Camden makes a 270-268 Clinton win

That's a 269-269 tie once you consider that the app doesn't split ME's electoral votes

Accounting for that would be literally impossible.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2016, 05:25:49 PM »

The easiest way to flip the election to Clinton is give Clark and Imperial Counties to Arizona, Lucas County, OH (Toledo) to Michigan, and New Castle County, DE to Pennsylvania. Clinton gains Michigan (15 EV's), Pennsylvania (21 EV's), and Arizona (14 EV's), Trump gains Delaware and Nevada (3 EV each). Clinton 275 - Trump 263

California: -1
Nevada: -3
Arizona: +2
Pennsylvania: +1
Michigan: +1
Net +2. Ohio didn't change, Delaware was already at 3. Did I miss anything?
Here
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2016, 05:33:09 PM »

The easiest way to flip the election to Clinton is give Clark and Imperial Counties to Arizona, Lucas County, OH (Toledo) to Michigan, and New Castle County, DE to Pennsylvania. Clinton gains Michigan (15 EV's), Pennsylvania (21 EV's), and Arizona (14 EV's), Trump gains Delaware and Nevada (3 EV each). Clinton 275 - Trump 263

Here

I still like just the three county switch - Give Camden, NJ to PA, Lake IL to WI, and Lucas, OH to MI.   
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2016, 05:52:23 PM »

Here

I still like just the three county switch - Give Camden, NJ to PA, Lake IL to WI, and Lucas, OH to MI.   

Forgot about Lake County, IL. Lucas was an obvious one, and Camden is the only New Jersey county that flips PA (forgot it), but I did get Pennsylvania with New Castle. Arizona cannot be flipped with just one county. Thanks! I just found the app. It's fun and so addicting.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2016, 05:56:19 PM »

Here

Forgot about Lake County, IL. Lucas was an obvious one, and Camden is the only New Jersey county that flips PA (forgot it), but I did get Pennsylvania with New Castle. Arizona cannot be flipped with just one county. Thanks! I just found the app. It's fun and so addicting.

Using San Diego instead of Clark is better
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2016, 06:16:02 PM »

For the extreme cases there should be a rule that no "state" has less population than WY and there must be at least 50 states, though DC can be absorbed assuming the 23rd amendment was repealed.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2016, 08:38:35 PM »

Here

You only actually need just 2 counties. Lucas->MI, and Camden->PA gives Clinton 270.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2016, 08:45:47 PM »

Here

You only actually need just 2 counties. Lucas->MI, and Camden->PA gives Clinton 270.

That would actually be 269-269, since it doesn't account for ME-2.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2016, 10:43:54 AM »

This time I focused on gerrymandering the country without letting a single Trump county turn into a Hillary one. Trump's victory has been further expanded from my previous 338 EV Trump victory to 364 EVs.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »

For the extreme cases there should be a rule that no "state" has less population than WY and there must be at least 50 states, though DC can be absorbed assuming the 23rd amendment was repealed.
Repeal of the 23rd is not needed. Congress could simply not appoint any electors.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2017, 09:57:46 PM »

A 538 R map isn't possible because Clinton won the popular vote. In fact Clinton would have to win at least 7EVs in any map, since you need a state where Clinton won by at least 2.6 million votes in order to give Trump all remaining states. Such a state would have at least 4 million people, which gives it at least 7 EVs.

You could add states.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2017, 11:02:29 PM »

With the revival of this thread, I present to y'all Georgiafornia:

The goal in mind was less to cement a candidate's victory over the other and more to transform Georgia into the most populous state nationwide. My goal was 55 electoral votes, but moving Memphis to Georgia shifted the state to earn 56 electoral votes. Going over was not an issue, but being under would have been. I made new states out of old ones to account for the state gobbling, to keep the states at fifty. Despite absorbing Florida, Georgia's Trump margin actually expanded, likely thanks to Alabama, Mississippi, and the Florida parishes of Louisiana.

IL turns into a Republican state with merely 8 electoral votes, while Tennessee and Louisiana remain the same politically but losing CDs (TN loses one while LA loses one as well.) Florida was used to created California del Sur, which is super-Hillary and has 33 electoral votes. Mississippi was repurposed into a rump California, which has 8 EVs and is only voting for Trump by a 150K margin. Alabama became Chicagoland, a decisively liberal-voting state with 14 EVs. California remains but is renamed the Bay Area, an unshockingly liberal state with 18 EVs.

I wonder how Georgiafornia would come to exist, and what the state would historically and currently be like? Any thoughts on that?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2017, 11:04:46 PM »

Pretty simple scenario to get a Romney win: Florida takes in Houston, Mobile, and Baldwin County AL. Virginia extends just far enough into Tennessee. Ohio extends just far enough into Kentucky. Colorado is flipped by Utah County, UT, which for contingency purposes results in 3 other UT counties also being added to CO.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies