Will the WWC become a long time voter base for the Republican Party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:34:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the WWC become a long time voter base for the Republican Party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will the WWC become a long time voter base for the Republican Party?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Will the WWC become a long time voter base for the Republican Party?  (Read 7747 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: December 03, 2016, 05:51:24 PM »
« edited: December 03, 2016, 05:54:14 PM by Virginia »

Haven't they already? They have been voting in large majorities for Republicans for a while now.

It's possible the GOP's WWC ranks expand beyond this election, but one election itself doesn't signify a permanent shift, particularly an election between the 2 most hated nominees in modern history, with one being uniquely unsuited for WWCs for numerous reasons. It's just as possible that if Trump doesn't deliver on his big promises and/or if Republicans overreach on things like Medicare, that they end up sending many of them back to the Democratic Party. It's not enough to just win them over once with lots of promises. Republicans/Trump also have to show them that Republicans can more of a positive difference in their lives than Democrats.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:39:55 PM »

No pun intended, but it is nothing short of rich that the Democrats (or at least some of the more delusional and elitist party followers like you) are now targeting the most fortunate and affluent White voters, haha.  And I'm sure even if they succeed in this, they'll still try to claim moral superiority.  But please, continue to try this!  It'll fail massively and be hilarious.

Wouldn't the natural trend of college-educated whites be towards Democrats as much more Democratic white Millennials and young GenX'ers, on set to be the most educated generations in history, make up more of the electorate? If that is the primary marker for fortune & affluence, it really shouldn't be that rich.

On the other hand the movement of more wealthy people to the Democratic Party (at least based on the last 2 presidential elections) is disconcerting to me and I guess you could call that rich, though I'm not sure what my party has been doing to specifically court those voters. Seems more like Republicans have been pushing them away.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 01:19:36 AM »

-Rethink HRC and Her supposed unique unsuitability for the WWC:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=257209.msg5487873#msg5487873

It's true non-college Whites are the swingiest voting group, and that this has always been so.

What does 2008 vs 2016 primaries have to do with this? It's irrelevant what support she got 8 years ago. A lot of things changed. Particularly for Hillary, and not in a good way.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »

-Things didn't change for Hillary as much as she changed them. She could have run the same campaign she did in 2008 and beaten Trump.

How things changed is also irrelevant. Her husband's record, the massive mistakes she made between 2009-2013, her weaknesses as a campaigner that prevented her from rising above that stuff, and tying herself to an administration that in some regions wasn't as respected as Obama himself (it didn't help that Obama was pushing TPP while she was running) all contributed to her failure to win.

You could try and argue that if she ran the same campaign, she'd have won, but running a different campaign may have also weakened her support among the constituencies her actual campaign meant to target with no guarantee she'd make up enough to win from others. And all of this again ignores the fact that Hillary Clinton had numerous problems (as I listed above) that were wholly separate from a campaign strategy she was capable of carrying out. For instance, she can come out strong against TPP and pro-building up manufacturing yet the people she is after don't believe her because she has created a thick layer of distrust to makes her campaign message meaningless - particularly against an opponent who effectively made part of his campaign about her own character deficits.

So yes, I'd say Bill's pro-trade and criminal justice record combined with the negative effects of her tenure as SoS were unique.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 02:27:49 PM »

She was stupid not to run on WJC's legacy. Had she run on Bill's criminal justice policies, she would have won a larger portion of the White vote while not losing any of the Black. What are Blacks going to do? Vote Republican? Meanwhile, concerned citizens who like the Democratic platform, but feel threatened by the breakdown of law and order in some inner cities can easily vote Republican.

Do you feel like that would have gotten her past the primary (African Americans were crucial to her win)? Or should she have ran on what she did and then flip-flopped entirely?

At any rate, I'm not really interested in discussing her campaign strategy here. I've already made my point otherwise.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies