New Zealand Election 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:56:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand Election 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20
Author Topic: New Zealand Election 2017  (Read 48165 times)
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: October 07, 2017, 12:57:23 AM »

We still have to wait till the 12th until we know who WINston will go with.

Please let it be Labour...
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #376 on: October 07, 2017, 05:10:59 AM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #377 on: October 07, 2017, 05:09:07 PM »

BigSkyBob

« Reply #378 on: October 07, 2017, 05:45:50 PM »

WINston no longer has the, as newshub put in on election day, 'moral obligation' to join up with English, considering there is only a 2 seat difference between Nats, and Labour-Greens, and the party vote is within a point or so.

In what universe does one add the Labour and Green votes and seats, but, one does not add the National and ACT votes and seats?

There is a 10 seat difference Labour and Nationals. There is a 12 seat difference between National-ACT-NZF and Labour-Green. There is a six seat difference between Labour-Green-NZF and National-ACT. Does a 12-seat majority have a greater "moral" mandate than a 6-seat majority? Probably, it does under some moral theories [the significant plurality {10-seat} party ought to have the first shot at forming the government,] but, not under others [Aside from siding with hostile nationals directly at war with New Zealand, or soliciting graft or other illegal behavior, elected officials are free to take any decision they wish for any reason they choose, or for no reason at all.]

Personally, I have always subscribed to latter moral theory. If Peters hasn't promised the electorate to support either party, it is purely his call.

Of course, four members of NZF could break away from a Peter's decision to go with Labour, or six members could break away from a National agreement.

Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #379 on: October 07, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »

WINston no longer has the, as newshub put in on election day, 'moral obligation' to join up with English, considering there is only a 2 seat difference between Nats, and Labour-Greens, and the party vote is within a point or so.

In what universe does one add the Labour and Green votes and seats, but, one does not add the National and ACT votes and seats?

There is a 10 seat difference Labour and Nationals. There is a 12 seat difference between National-ACT-NZF and Labour-Green. There is a six seat difference between Labour-Green-NZF and National-ACT. Does a 12-seat majority have a greater "moral" mandate than a 6-seat majority? Probably, it does under some moral theories [the significant plurality {10-seat} party ought to have the first shot at forming the government,] but, not under others [Aside from siding with hostile nationals directly at war with New Zealand, or soliciting graft or other illegal behavior, elected officials are free to take any decision they wish for any reason they choose, or for no reason at all.]

Personally, I have always subscribed to latter moral theory. If Peters hasn't promised the electorate to support either party, it is purely his call.

Of course, four members of NZF could break away from a Peter's decision to go with Labour, or six members could break away from a National agreement.

ACT will NEVER work with NZF, and vice versa. As UF, and Māori have disappeared, and NZF are king maker, they have become irrelevant in coalition building. To be fair, ACT is irrelevant legislatively as well.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #380 on: October 07, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »

ACT is irrelevant as they would never be part of a National-NZ First coalition, due to the mutual hatred between ACT and Winston Peters.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #381 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »

On what issues would NZ First choose to side with Labour over National?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #382 on: October 07, 2017, 07:34:24 PM »

Unlike in other western countries, the center-left party is more anti-immigration and the center-right party is more pro-immigration. So WINston's immigration views migth be more closely aligned to Labour's.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #383 on: October 08, 2017, 07:05:12 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2017, 07:10:08 AM by Çråbçæk »

Cuts to immigration, banning/restricting foreign buyers of land/farms/housing, maintaining the retirement age at 65, manned re-entry of Pike River Mine (a coal mine that had a fatal methane explosion; the families of the dead deeply want to re-enter to retrieve bodies and this has been a big cause for Peters - a policy at odds with the Nats who want to permanently close it), raising the minimum wage and abolishing youth rates and abolishing coat-tails and lowering the election threshold are the major election pledges of First that would be easier done under Labour; some of those would deeply irritate the Nats, but at the end of the day they want to maintain power.

Labour have less obvious landmines in coalition building, although that's partially obscured by the fact Peters' campaign was very anti-government in nature. Peters dislike of the Greens may present a crucial sticking point. Labour/Greens wanted to introduce water charges for farmers, which will be nixed by NZ First. NZ First have made a big deal of getting rid of the Maori seats, something Labour will not agree to quickly, especially following their sweep.

Remember that Peters is fundamentally a prickly old weirdo, and he gets more prickly, old and weird every day. A lot of the decisions he makes will be based on his eccentric and odd grab-bag of pet issues, some of which are cartoonishly populist, some amusingly  off-beat (e.g.  "Establish a Crown Company to develop 'ecoFur' as the world's only ecologically friendly fur label to support a value-adding New Zealand fur industry (wild possums, stoats and ferrets)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #384 on: October 08, 2017, 07:18:21 AM »

Why does Winston hate ACT?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #385 on: October 08, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »

Thanks guys for answering my question. NZ politics is pretty interesting
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #386 on: October 08, 2017, 10:30:40 PM »

Note with Winston Peters and the Maori seats that he claimed during the campaign that having a referendum on abolishing the seats was a 'bottom line' for him, but that may no longer be the case. Peters argued there may no longer need to be a referendum because the Maori Party is no longer in parliament(he hates the Maori Party too), saying that "And so some of the elements to the environment which the promise was made have since changed - that's all I can say."

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/election/2017/09/winston-peters-hints-at-u-turn-on-maori-seat-referendum.html
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #387 on: October 09, 2017, 02:07:54 PM »

My gut feeling right now is that WINston will go with Labour.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #388 on: October 09, 2017, 03:55:34 PM »

I think so too, though it's 50-50(though I'd be fine if you said it was 60-40 either way).
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #389 on: October 09, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »

I think so too, though it's 50-50(though I'd be fine if you said it was 60-40 either way).

60-40 sounds about right. I'm definitely not super confident, but enough to pick a side at least.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #390 on: October 09, 2017, 07:27:03 PM »

My theory is that the Nats are holding back cause they think a three party coalition will be a trap for Labour.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #391 on: October 10, 2017, 02:33:44 AM »

My theory is that the Nats are holding back cause they think a three party coalition will be a trap for Labour.

Good thing there weren't any three or four party coalitions in the very recent past.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #392 on: October 11, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »

Winston doubts that a deal will be made by the end of the week.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/97799911/winston-peters-last-day-of-coalition-meetings-begins
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #393 on: October 12, 2017, 02:54:37 PM »

Looks like will find out on Saturday who forms the next government.  While it could really go either way I give it a 60-40 in favour of National.  The reason is with National it would be a two party coalition whereas with Labour the Greens have to be included.  I think if Labour + NZ First got a majority Peters would have gone with Labour.  Nonetheless neither would surprise me.  Besides for Labour being in opposition for another three years will probably improve their chances in 2020 and perhaps maybe even make a Labour-Green one probable whereas if going into government it could be quite shaky.  I think whichever party forms government will ultimately face a tough chance at re-election in 2020.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #394 on: October 12, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »

Still going for a NZ-National First government. No way in hell NZ First will go into coalition with the Greens, unless the Greens support Labour-NZ First from the outside which they won't.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: October 13, 2017, 12:00:55 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2017, 02:57:59 AM by Lincoln Speaker Lok »

WINston will NOT be making a decision this week.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11932794
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #396 on: October 14, 2017, 01:28:13 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2017, 11:05:27 PM by Biden/Kander 2020 »

Because ACT is the only party that isn't power-hungry/spineless enough to bend to Winston's every whim.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #397 on: October 14, 2017, 09:50:35 PM »

I know this may sound a little silly, but how about one side agreeing to allow Winston Peters to be prime-minister but whichever party he forms a coalition with would get most of the cabinet posts.  This will probably due to his age be his last election so allow him to go out on a high note while whichever party he partnered with would still largely drive the agenda.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #398 on: October 15, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »

ACT leader routinely bitching about Winston highlights his butthurt at not being at the negotiating table lololol

Seymour will lose his seat next election..hopefully
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #399 on: October 15, 2017, 11:39:28 PM »

Surely Winston's dislike of ACT is at least partly a matter of principle. They represent Rogernomics, whereas Winston is an old school protectionist.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies