New Zealand Election 2017
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:24:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand Election 2017
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]
Author Topic: New Zealand Election 2017  (Read 48309 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: October 19, 2017, 12:59:23 AM »

Congratulations to Jacinda Ardern, 40th Prime Minister of New Zealand.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #476 on: October 19, 2017, 12:59:55 AM »

Well I guess Canada is no longer the sole Anglosphere country with a centre-left PM.  Trudeau must be feeling old as first Macron, then Kurz, and now Ardern it seems choosing young leaders is becoming popular.  UK and US interestingly enough have fairly old leaders of their parties.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #477 on: October 19, 2017, 01:01:17 AM »

As long as Greens does not have any influence im ok with labour-nz first...expect a large chunk of nz first voters to swing towards national in 2020
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #478 on: October 19, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »

Robertson confirmed as Finance Minister.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #479 on: October 19, 2017, 01:05:24 AM »

And Wikipedia edits done.

Again, congratulations to Jacinda.

I guess this puts me in the National column for 2020 (for now).
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #480 on: October 19, 2017, 01:07:26 AM »

Alright everyone.

Here's the question:

Does English resign?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #481 on: October 19, 2017, 01:08:53 AM »

Changed my username for the celebration.

We'll have to see the Greens reaction, but it seems that NZ will have a change in government. Hasta la vista English!
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #482 on: October 19, 2017, 01:16:06 AM »

How long until Jacinda Ardern is officially prime-minister.  My understanding is anytime there is a change in government there is always a transition period.  In Canada it is usually around 2-3 weeks typically where the outgoing PM remains PM until the incoming one takes over.  The US has a ridiculous 10 weeks transition so on what date approximately does she get sworn in?  On the other hand the UK usually does it the next day where the incoming one visits the PM at least if there is a majority.  If a hung parliament then it takes a bit longer.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #483 on: October 19, 2017, 01:21:16 AM »

Maybe Ardern winning Mt. Albert earlier in the year was a good omen. Helen Clarke also held that seat during her tenure as PM
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #484 on: October 19, 2017, 02:35:32 AM »

Winston went with Labour. Greens are in cabinet.  Ardennes has spoken and addressed the nation, 'honored to be PM'.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #485 on: October 19, 2017, 04:02:13 AM »

Doesn't seem quite right to me as National did end up 7.5% end of Labour.  I'm not sure if the Greens are sort of an assumed Labour Party coalition partner as Labour and the Greens combined would have only been about 1% behind National.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #486 on: October 19, 2017, 04:04:18 AM »

Doesn't seem quite right to me as National did end up 7.5% end of Labour.  I'm not sure if the Greens are sort of an assumed Labour Party coalition partner as Labour and the Greens combined would have only been about 1% behind National.
The default in NZ is to count Labour and the Greens together.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #487 on: October 19, 2017, 04:35:55 AM »

Ah, well that's different. Smiley
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #488 on: October 19, 2017, 06:10:00 AM »

Ah, well that's different. Smiley

Remember MMP is a proportional system, while the Nationals had the most votes, they did not obtain a majority alone. Labour-NZF-Greens have a majority and have now agreed to form a government.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #489 on: October 19, 2017, 08:03:53 AM »

How about just another election.  I suspect after his antics, New Zealand First won't make the 4% cut off so either it will be a National majority or a Labour-Green government.

Yes, I think National will be favored in the next election if only because their voters will have that 'we wuz robbed' drive that the ruling coalition will not have. 
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #490 on: October 19, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »

[SoreLoser]LOSEston. I'm looking forward to see a National landslide in 2020 Smiley. The right should avoid working with pathetic figures like Peters anyway.[/SoreLoser]

Anyway, congratulations with selling your soul to the devil Winston Peters. I hope you'll like it Smiley.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #491 on: October 19, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »

This was hardly that surprising - from all accounts Peters worked better in government with Labour in the past than he did with the Nationals and the relationship was a lot more positive with them, so it makes sense.  Also consider that he is getting old and the talk was that this would possibly be his last election and the party would go to hell without him anyway, so may as well go for the people who would think that you'd work better with since its lot like you'll be the one cleaning up the mess afterwards.

This is arguably the biggest test of public reaction to PR in New Zealand: in that its the first election where the clear "winner" in a FPTP context won't be forming government.  I don't think that there'll be any real demand to move away from MMP but it might annoy a few people...
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #492 on: October 19, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »

Ideally, Winston retires at the next election, NZF falls apart and Labour absorbers their voters.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #493 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »

A tiny beam of light for Social Democracy, which had a horrible year so far ...

Totally destroyed in the Netherlands (less than 10%), eliminated in France in favour of a working-class bashing Neo-Liberal, didn't make it in the UK, removed from power in Germany (getting their lowest result ever), still out of power in Norway (+ lost support), a surprisingly stable election result in Austria after all the trouble (but they will probably lose their government spot to a right-wing coalition).
Hydera

« Reply #494 on: October 19, 2017, 12:47:37 PM »

A tiny beam of light for Social Democracy, which had a horrible year so far ...

Totally destroyed in the Netherlands (less than 10%), eliminated in France in favour of a working-class bashing Neo-Liberal, didn't make it in the UK, removed from power in Germany (getting their lowest result ever), still out of power in Norway (+ lost support), a surprisingly stable election result in Austria after all the trouble (but they will probably lose their government spot to a right-wing coalition).

Labour in NZ agreed to immigration curbs demanded by NZ First.   If Social democracy stops kowtowing to their further to left wings to not act on immigration they will win.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #495 on: October 19, 2017, 12:56:10 PM »

Okay, let's look at the Cabinet so far:

Winston, Mark, Tracey Martin, and Shane Jones look to be in. Winston has also been offered the deputy PM role and is "considering it".

I'm assuming Winston asked for and will get Foreign Affairs, don't know about the others.

As for Labour's side of things, Winston confirmed that he didn't get the Finance Minister post, meaning that the position will likely go to Robertson.

Is there anything else known that I missed?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #496 on: October 19, 2017, 02:45:27 PM »

General discussion thread is up.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies