New Zealand Election 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:39:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand Election 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Zealand Election 2017  (Read 48475 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« on: September 03, 2017, 11:52:22 AM »

Ew. Do the NZ posters/posters who know NZ politics well think the Nats would have done better with Key? Key was pretty popular. But it doesn't look like the Nats lost much, it looks like it's mainly Labour winning votes. And are there any polls on voting by income/education/age in NZ?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »

So Trump and May (horrible people who ran horrible campaigns) win their elections while the NZ Nats (who had a decent track record) might end up losing? I f**king hate conservatives in 2017. Anyway, is there a chance that it will be an UK 2017-style landslide with young voters? Ardern does seem like someone who appeals a lot to young people (+ the free three years of tertiary education, but aren't most people aged 18-29 beyond that already?). Then again I don't think English is as toxic to young people as May (or Brexit) was in the UK.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 12:13:39 AM »

I'm still waiting for Billmentum Sad

What did the Nats do to deserve this clobbering with young people? There isn't a Brexit situation in NZ and Bill English hasn't beem campaigning on social conservatism right? Is it because of rising tuition fees and lack of affordable housing for young people (or other economic issues)?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:50:58 AM »

I'm still waiting for Billmentum Sad

What did the Nats do to deserve this clobbering with young people? There isn't a Brexit situation in NZ and Bill English hasn't beem campaigning on social conservatism right? Is it because of rising tuition fees and lack of affordable housing for young people (or other economic issues)?

The youth vote in the UK was about far, far more than Brexit and Tory culture wars

I guess austerity also played a role, but May did much worse than Cameron with young voters. If it was about austerity or other economic issues the Tories should have imploded with young voters in 2015, and they still got 32% of the 18-29 vote. Maybe Corbyn energized young voters more than Ed did, but I think Brexit and culture wars were very big reasons for the Tory implosion with young voters.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

But these problems also existed in 2015 and young voters didn't bother to turn out. Corbyn would have done better than Miliband with young voters anyway, but the difference between 2015 and 2017 was huge. Anyway I'm looking at some polls from before the Brexit (ugh crosstabs...) and apparently young people already trended Labour before Brexit but after Corbyn's election so you're probably right. And I agree that we probably shouldn't derail the thread anymore Tongue.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 12:38:54 AM »

Why is everyone getting higher scores for NZ First than me?

Because you're better than everyone else?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

Every single ing kiwi who voted for the Nationals are ing sheep...

Why? As a right-winger I'm obviously bound to disagree with you but I thought the NZ Nats were much more palatable to the left than the Tories, Liberals or Republicans.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:13:14 AM »

[SoreLoser]LOSEston. I'm looking forward to see a National landslide in 2020 Smiley. The right should avoid working with pathetic figures like Peters anyway.[/SoreLoser]

Anyway, congratulations with selling your soul to the devil Winston Peters. I hope you'll like it Smiley.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies