Should the US have mandatory voting?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 10, 2024, 01:43:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should the US have mandatory voting?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Poll
Question: Should the US have mandatory voting?
No

Yes

Yes, but only if there is a "none of the above" option.

Yes, but only if voting is made easier.

Options 3 & 4

Yes, but only if some other requirement is fulfilled.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 244

Author Topic: Should the US have mandatory voting?  (Read 28350 times)
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2017, 10:24:20 AM »

This, plus keep it non-compulsory.
Suburban Republican
omelott
Israel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »

Polling places should just give everyone who votes a free lollipop. Problem solved!
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2017, 11:31:58 PM »

I agree with keeping it non-compulsory, but move it to Saturday - We do elections just fine on a Saturday, and the polling stations are open from 8-6, so plenty of opportunity to vote.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2017, 02:14:09 PM »

I agree with keeping it non-compulsory, but move it to Saturday - We do elections just fine on a Saturday, and the polling stations are open from 8-6, so plenty of opportunity to vote.

For states with early voting like IL this already exists. Election day becomes merely the last day to cast a ballot. Moving the day probably wouldn't change anything for us.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2017, 04:58:56 PM »

No.The land of the free is not the land of vote or else. So are you going to get arrested for not voting?
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2017, 09:05:47 PM »

While I think its ridiculous not to vote, I don't think it should be mandatory.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »

For states with early voting like IL this already exists. Election day becomes merely the last day to cast a ballot. Moving the day probably wouldn't change anything for us.

Are all the polling stations open early though? In my state, the early vote locations cover many precincts. My early vote location is a half hour away, whereas my normal polling location is 5 min away. I was excited when we passed early voting, but when I realized this dynamic, it's actually much more convenient for me to just vote on election day. It would be even more convenient if it wasn't a work day.

Of course I would vote even if I had to do it at 3 AM and an hour away, but for the average voter I think the extra convenience matters a lot. That's why I would like to see voting expanded to multiple days (with all stations opened) and liberal use of absentee voting if desired.
muon2
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2018, 01:02:35 PM »

Are all the polling stations open early though? In my state, the early vote locations cover many precincts. My early vote location is a half hour away, whereas my normal polling location is 5 min away. I was excited when we passed early voting, but when I realized this dynamic, it's actually much more convenient for me to just vote on election day. It would be even more convenient if it wasn't a work day.

Of course I would vote even if I had to do it at 3 AM and an hour away, but for the average voter I think the extra convenience matters a lot. That's why I would like to see voting expanded to multiple days (with all stations opened) and liberal use of absentee voting if desired.

It's not cost effective to have every precinct open for the whole early voting period. In fact, for primaries in IL only select polling places are open on election day and they serve as the polling place  for multiple precincts. The same can be true in general elections, and the local election authority (usually the county clerk) determines where to have open locations based on anticipated turnout. The minimum number of early voting locations for each local authority is established by law.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2018, 08:18:12 PM »

It's not cost effective to have every precinct open for the whole early voting period

Sure, but then there's a big difference between an early voting day and election day, and so holding the election on a weekend instead of a weekday could make a big difference.

Personally, I think all/most should be open for many days, even if it's not cost effective. I'm willing to pay extra taxes if it makes it easier for everyone to vote.
un
UnbredBoat348
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -7.30

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »

No. We'd look WAY too much like a communist authoritarian regime. And the whole idea of it isn't good itself. People in jail over not voting for the lesser of two evils? No.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2018, 10:04:22 PM »

We don't need low-information voters with barely a high school education being forced to vote in an election for which they know next to nothing. 

According to a study released recently (and here's the article), support for authoritarian rule is strongest among that demographic. 

So, I'm fine with them not voting. 
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »

We don't need low-information voters with barely a high school education being forced to vote in an election for which they know next to nothing. 

According to a study released recently (and here's the article), support for authoritarian rule is strongest among that demographic. 

Low-information voters sure sounds like a dog whistle.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2018, 11:40:31 PM »

I can't imagine any demographic that deserves it more.  And besides, they are Trump's base.  They love dog-whistling everybody else. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2018, 02:04:10 PM »

Yes, but states should do it individually, like California wants to make voting day, a holiday.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2018, 01:32:24 PM by emailking »

No. We'd look WAY too much like a communist authoritarian regime. And the whole idea of it isn't good itself. People in jail over not voting for the lesser of two evils? No.

But jail doesn't have to be the penalty. It could be a modest fine.

Also, the requirement doesn't necessarily need to be to check a box so much as turn in a ballot (possibly blank).
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2018, 05:28:26 PM »

Ah yes, just like the communist authoritarian regime of the Democratic People's Republic of Australia.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2018, 02:52:48 AM »

I say that we should have mandatory voting. It's not that flipping hard to do it
BenBurch
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.74, S: 7.22

« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »

I can't imagine any demographic that deserves it more.  And besides, they are Trump's base.  They love dog-whistling everybody else. 

Funnily enough, it's only people like you which hear the dogwhistle. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »

Maybe we should celebrate the fact that, even in our highest turnout elections, nearly half of eligible voters are so unconcerned with the outcome of the election that they don't bother voting. That's a luxury.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not, but that’s certainly one theory; the problem is that voters may see their candidates as equally negative, as opposed to equally positive or equally ineffectual.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2018, 07:20:45 PM »

Remember though that the voting part of the phrase is a bit misleading. It's actually more compulsory attendance, as in you have to go and get your name marked off. What you do with your ballot is completely up to you, you could just go straight from the the area you get your ballots right to the box and put it in, there's really nothing stopping you.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2018, 03:48:52 PM »

no
Jersey Jimmy
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.13

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »

Proto
Estonia
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »

If a voter does not show up on election day, what does that mean? Perhaps, she/he supports neither of the candidates on the ballot. To increase turnout just include "against all" option, rather than making voting mandatory.
Wazza [INACTIVE]
Wazza1901
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2019, 08:13:36 AM »

No, because if someone does not wish to vote they should have the freedom to make that decision. Additionally, it just decreases the quality of the electorate because it significantly increases the amount of apathetic voters, single issue voters, wedge issue voters, etc.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2019, 02:12:48 PM »

I really don't understand the logic of forcing politically ignorant and apathetic people to vote.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies