OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:54:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22
Poll
Question: Who wins the Ohio U.S. Senate Race?
State Treasurer Josh Mandel (R)

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D)

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 172

Author Topic: OH-SEN: Renacci Wins Weak Plurality  (Read 58348 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 05, 2017, 10:38:31 PM »

I think the national environment will push Brown over the line. I could be wrong.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #301 on: September 05, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2017, 10:58:04 PM by ERM64man »

I think the national environment will push Brown over the line. I could be wrong.
Tossup with Mandel. Likely D with Gibbons.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #302 on: September 06, 2017, 01:47:27 AM »

Brown is favored, he's an excellent fit for the state and he's already beaten Mandel once.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #303 on: September 06, 2017, 11:07:41 AM »

My guess is Mandel. I think Brown might be too liberal for a state like Ohio that generally elects moderates in both parties.
Just because it's a swing state doesn't necessarily mean it should be electing moderates. Brown is am excellent fit for Ohio. In a Trump midterm he should easily win.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #304 on: September 06, 2017, 08:53:29 PM »

My guess is Mandel. I think Brown might be too liberal for a state like Ohio that generally elects moderates in both parties.
Just because it's a swing state doesn't necessarily mean it should be electing moderates. Brown is am excellent fit for Ohio. In a Trump midterm he should easily win.

Nothing comes easy in Ohio anymore for us, we gotta WORK to keep this seat.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #305 on: September 06, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »

50-48 Josh mandel but brown can win but since Ohio trended R like crazy and since he's the only dem in Ohio I would say the same in Florida as well but 50-47.5 Nelson
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #306 on: September 06, 2017, 09:32:18 PM »

Nothing comes easy in Ohio anymore for us, we gotta WORK to keep this seat.
I agree. Any sort of midterm victory is gonna take blood sweat and tears.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #307 on: September 06, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »

Solid Lean D
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #308 on: September 07, 2017, 04:54:33 AM »

What Malcolm X said.
Rjjr77
« Reply #309 on: September 07, 2017, 07:53:05 AM »

I still think its Tilt D. It would be tilt R with any of the other statewide republicans
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #310 on: September 07, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »

Good Sabato article on the history of Senate rematches. It doesn't have a ton of predictive value given the small sample size and other quirks, but still an interesting read and reaffirms that Brown probably has the edge, at least for now: http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/articles/senate-sequels-the-history-of-upper-chamber-rematches/
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #311 on: September 07, 2017, 12:24:27 PM »

I still think its Tilt D. It would be tilt R with any of the other statewide republicans

Husted maybe, but otherwise, I don't think so. He's beat DeWine before and would do so again, while Taylor and Yost would be even less of a challenge. Kasich, as you've said, would have some trouble making it through his own party's primary. Portman vs Brown would be a bloodbath, but that obviously isn't happening, and Voinovich is dead, bless his soul.

Brown has to be in top form, but Republicans underestimate his campaign prowess at their own peril.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #312 on: September 07, 2017, 01:57:36 PM »

Husted maybe, but otherwise, I don't think so. He's beat DeWine before and would do so again, while Taylor and Yost would be even less of a challenge. Kasich, as you've said, would have some trouble making it through his own party's primary. Portman vs Brown would be a bloodbath, but that obviously isn't happening, and Voinovich is dead, bless his soul.

Brown has to be in top form, but Republicans underestimate his campaign prowess at their own peril.

Underestimating him would be foolish yes, and frankly I hope Republicans overestimate him and put more resources than Necessary to beat him. He's a very good possible Presidential Nom and should be nipped in the bud now before he has a chance to run.
UncleSam

« Reply #313 on: September 07, 2017, 02:56:04 PM »

Can someone explain the 'Brown is a good fit for his state' meme to me?

Like seriously Brown is one of the more liberal senators in the caucus while coming from one of the more conservative states represented there. You can say he's a great campaigner, has unique appeal, etc etc but good fit for his state I have a hard time buying.

Mandel's campaign has stagnated in recent months and goes to show why declaring super early in a cycle can be a double edged sword. While I think Mandel will be a lot tougher than most Dems here probably think in their hearts (given the overwhelming lead for Brown in the poll), I do think Brown may be the slightest of favorites right now.

I think Mandel's floor is higher than Brown's, however. I doubt Mandel could possibly do worse than he did in 2012 given how hard Ohio has swung right and how much infrastructure he has already put in place there. Mandel seems a lot to Ohio like Hillary was to the country last year: massive, well-organized campaign with a vaguely dislikable figure leading it.

That being said Hillary won the popular vote in spite of her likability issues so it's an open question whether this analogy bodes ill for Mandel or for Brown (or neither?) as of yet. Of course it is not a perfect analogy by any means either haha

I think the range of outcomes goes from Brown + 5 to Mandel + 8, with more probability weight towards the Brown end of that range. I could easily see Mandel turning out Trump voters in Ohio though, Dems have become anathema to small town Midwesterners in recent years and Trump's tweets don't change that.
Rjjr77
« Reply #314 on: September 07, 2017, 03:50:37 PM »

I think Dewines had enough of a break where he makes it a tough challenge for Brown, Taylor I think beats brown, she cant raise funds in a crowded primary but if shes it I think she can knock off sherrod.

Kasich couldnt win the primary.
Portman would slaughter Brown and drink from his skull on election night
Rjjr77
« Reply #315 on: September 07, 2017, 03:53:13 PM »

Underestimating him would be foolish yes, and frankly I hope Republicans overestimate him and put more resources than Necessary to beat him. He's a very good possible Presidential Nom and should be nipped in the bud now before he has a chance to run.

The wife beating allegations would probably sink a presidential nod. Which is why i think he'd never actual run
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #316 on: September 07, 2017, 03:58:03 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2017, 04:03:24 PM by Malcolm X »

The wife beating allegations would probably sink a presidential nod. Which is why i think he'd never actual run

You mean the completely baseless lie Mandel's campaign literally made up in 2012?  You do realize that the woman Mandel's campaign claimed he did that to has consistently maintained that no such thing actually occurred, endorsed Brown in 2012, repeatedly spoke out condemning this disgusting smear campaign (and even hosted a frigging fundraiser for Brown in 2012 as well as appearing in an ad for his campaign in 2006), and that this desperate lie by Mandel's campaign was even publicaly condemned by some of the county chairs in the Ohio Republican Party, right?  This nonsense is about as credible as pizzagate.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #317 on: September 07, 2017, 04:03:44 PM »

Can someone explain the 'Brown is a good fit for his state' meme to me?

Like seriously Brown is one of the more liberal senators in the caucus while coming from one of the more conservative states represented there. You can say he's a great campaigner, has unique appeal, etc etc but good fit for his state I have a hard time buying.

Mandel's campaign has stagnated in recent months and goes to show why declaring super early in a cycle can be a double edged sword. While I think Mandel will be a lot tougher than most Dems here probably think in their hearts (given the overwhelming lead for Brown in the poll), I do think Brown may be the slightest of favorites right now.

I think Mandel's floor is higher than Brown's, however. I doubt Mandel could possibly do worse than he did in 2012 given how hard Ohio has swung right and how much infrastructure he has already put in place there. Mandel seems a lot to Ohio like Hillary was to the country last year: massive, well-organized campaign with a vaguely dislikable figure leading it.

That being said Hillary won the popular vote in spite of her likability issues so it's an open question whether this analogy bodes ill for Mandel or for Brown (or neither?) as of yet. Of course it is not a perfect analogy by any means either haha

I think the range of outcomes goes from Brown + 5 to Mandel + 8, with more probability weight towards the Brown end of that range. I could easily see Mandel turning out Trump voters in Ohio though, Dems have become anathema to small town Midwesterners in recent years and Trump's tweets don't change that.

Basically, Brown plays well with a lot of the labor WWC types who pushed the state to Trump. He's also anti-free trade, which contributed to trump's appeal. And he has a record of listening to people. And he's personable. He's a liberal, but he's not a HRC-type. He's more Bidenesque. The Obama-Trump voters who delivered it to the President won't vote en mass for Mandel.

You mean the completely baseless lie Mandel's campaign literally made up in 2012?  You do realize that the woman Mandel's campaign claimed he did that to has consistently maintained that no such thing actually occurred, endorsed Brown in 2012, repeatedly spoke out condemning this disgusting smear campaign, and that this desperate lie by Mandel's campaign was even publicaly condemned by some of the county chairs in the Ohio Republican Party, right?  This nonsense is about as credible as pizzagate.

Yeah, if the supposed victim isn't on your side when you're making the allegations, and is herself denying that it happened, the allegations won't carry much weight. Especially against Trump.

I think Dewines had enough of a break where he makes it a tough challenge for Brown, Taylor I think beats brown, she cant raise funds in a crowded primary but if shes it I think she can knock off sherrod.

Kasich couldnt win the primary.
Portman would slaughter Brown and drink from his skull on election night

I'm not even 100% sure I agree about that, (Brown >>>>>>>>>>>> Strickland) but regardless IDK if it's even possible for a sitting Senator to run for a Senate seat that they don't already hold. Regardless, won't happen.
Rjjr77
« Reply #318 on: September 07, 2017, 08:46:34 PM »

You mean the completely baseless lie Mandel's campaign literally made up in 2012?  You do realize that the woman Mandel's campaign claimed he did that to has consistently maintained that no such thing actually occurred, endorsed Brown in 2012, repeatedly spoke out condemning this disgusting smear campaign (and even hosted a frigging fundraiser for Brown in 2012 as well as appearing in an ad for his campaign in 2006), and that this desperate lie by Mandel's campaign was even publicaly condemned by some of the county chairs in the Ohio Republican Party, right?  This nonsense is about as credible as pizzagate.
I mean its not that nonsense and it wasn't made up by Mandel. She specifically made those allegations during their divorce. While it may have been she made false allegations or they've made up, they were made.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #319 on: September 08, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »

I mean its not that nonsense and it wasn't made up by Mandel. She specifically made those allegations during their divorce. While it may have been she made false allegations or they've made up, they were made.

And she's said repeatedly that it never happened and that her claims were words said in anger during a divorce.  She's consistently said that ever since the first time an amoral Republican tried to make an issue of it back when Brown was running for the House.  Then as now, pretty much everyone roundly condemned this exceptionally disgusting smear attempt.  Mandel has falsely accused Brown of beating his current wife as well, offering such damning evidence as "Hey, I heard you beat beat your wife" and "You can probably read about that all over the internet" (yes, those are direct quotes from Mandel).  I get that you may really not like Brown, but spreading blatantly false allegations of domestic abuse is about as low as it gets.  Even for a political smear campaign, that's incredibly sleezy and says a lot about those who are willing to sink to such depths.  Pretty disgusting, to say the least. 
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix

« Reply #320 on: September 08, 2017, 01:20:55 PM »

Sherrod's ex-wife is a family friend and those allegations were exaggerations made as part of a very bitter divorce. They're both over it. Larke Recchie and Sherrod do fundraisers together for Pete's sake.
Rjjr77
« Reply #321 on: September 08, 2017, 03:38:40 PM »

Sherrod's ex-wife is a family friend and those allegations were exaggerations made as part of a very bitter divorce. They're both over it. Larke Recchie and Sherrod do fundraisers together for Pete's sake.

But they were made. They are in legal documents, and they exist. It's not made up, and it's not baseless since the accusations were made. You can argue he was falsely accused by his ex wife or that they've reconciled their issues, but the claims were made and are out there.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #322 on: September 08, 2017, 03:41:31 PM »

That's a similar situation to Trump's alleged sexual assault of his wife, right?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #323 on: September 08, 2017, 03:47:08 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2017, 03:49:15 PM by Malcolm X »

But they were made. They are in legal documents, and they exist. It's not made up, and it's not baseless since the accusations were made. You can argue he was falsely accused by his ex wife or that they've reconciled their issues, but the claims were made and are out there.

What you're doing right now (or rather trying to do) is pretty disgusting and you should really be ashamed of yourself.  Honestly, I thought you were better than this (admittedly a low bar), but I guess not.
Roblox

« Reply #324 on: September 08, 2017, 03:50:17 PM »

What you're doing right now (or rather trying to do) is pretty disgusting and you should really be ashamed of yourself.  Honestly, I thought you were better than this (admittedly a low bar), but I guess not.

Besides, little Josh attempted to bring the issue up in 2012 and it totally failed, with Brown's ex wife even coming out and endorsing brown.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies