MI: Rep. Miller hints at challenge to Granholm
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MI: Rep. Miller hints at challenge to Granholm
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI: Rep. Miller hints at challenge to Granholm  (Read 1613 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2005, 11:00:12 AM »

From the AP:

Congresswoman Candice Miller is hinting that she might try to unseat Governor Granholm in 2006.

Miller, a Republican from Macomb County's Harrison Township, says she thinks Democrat Granholm is beatable. She says she has several months to decide whether to run for governor.

The 51-year-old Miller was elected to Congress in 2002 after serving two terms as Michigan Secretary of State.

She tells the "Macomb Daily" newspaper of Mount Clemens that Granholm is vulnerable because of Michigan's high unemployment and the loss of thousands of manufacturing jobs.

Three other Republicans are seeking the GOP nomination. They are west Michigan businessman Dick DeVos, state Senator Nancy Cassis of Novi and state Representative Jack Hoogendyk of Kalamazoo.

How would Miller do?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2005, 11:48:23 AM »

she would do well.  (My representative) could do a lot to get out the vote in the Michigan countryside, and still be able to win over the suburban areas.  Might even be able to win it.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2005, 03:35:18 PM »

Of all the candidates running she would do the best but it would be a close race.  i don't think she will run, she didn't want to run against stabenow who would have been the race she would be more likely to win.  Also she could wait untill 2008 for senate if Levin retires or governor in 2010 since her seat is very safe.  Also Dick DeVos is going most likely  to win the republican nomination for governor in 2006, Miller is the only one who could beat him and it would be close in the primary.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 03:49:33 PM »

i don't think she will run, she didn't want to run against stabenow who would have been the race she would be more likely to win. 

Granholm has a 37% approval rating while Stabenow has a 50% approval rating.  Hardly easier IMO.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 11:43:10 PM »

i don't think she will run, she didn't want to run against stabenow who would have been the race she would be more likely to win. 

Granholm has a 37% approval rating while Stabenow has a 50% approval rating.  Hardly easier IMO.

37%!!?!??  Could you site a source or two King?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 11:48:13 PM »

Here and here
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 12:58:52 AM »

Granholm will win against Dick DeVos, Miller won't run (if she won't run for senate why for governor) also her house seat is safe and Carl Levin could retire and she can run then.  Why run for a seat you most likely will lose when you can wait two years for an open one. Personally I think this poll is trash.  Also look at head to head matchups Granholm is over 50%, they may not like her but they rather have her than someone else. Also where in this article does she suggest she's running, just because she attacked Granholm, hell almost all the republican party officials have done this.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 02:16:51 PM »

wow, I had no idea.  Last time I checked was about April and she had about a 51% approval rating.  Anything happen that I don't know about?  A fourteen pt. fall usually happens for some reason.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2005, 02:57:34 PM »

wow, I had no idea.  Last time I checked was about April and she had about a 51% approval rating.  Anything happen that I don't know about?  A fourteen pt. fall usually happens for some reason.

She is the incumbent during a poor and worsening economy.  No surprise.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2005, 02:34:17 AM »

If Granholm continues to slide, I think Miller would have an excellent shot (and might even be favored) to win the race.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies