US constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:16:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  US constitution
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the best option ?
New constitution

Current Constitution

Current Constitution with amendments

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: US constitution  (Read 6095 times)
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2016, 08:38:31 PM »
« edited: December 09, 2016, 09:56:52 PM by American2020 »

If there is a national referendum on US polititical system after a revolution, what's the best option?
What will be the system under a new constitution ?
What will be the new amendments ?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 10:40:13 PM »

I hate to say this, but a new one is needed. How to get there is a difficult path.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »

I have several ideas for amendments to the U.S Constitution. The one that is most important to me to adopt is:
Rewrite Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to make its meaning narrower and clearer. This part of the Constitution imposed important rules on the states, but the rules were worded briefly and vaguely. I propose writing rules that are not brief at all, but are detailed and precise. The rules that states have to obey should be as clearly worded as, by way of comparison, the rules written in the first eight amendments (which only the federal government had to obey before the 14th was adopted). Tell the states which "rights" they cannot violate and tell them which kinds of "discrimination" that cannot engage in. Leave all of the rest to the discretion of the states themselves.
Other ideas, not as important, and put in no particular order:
Eliminate the Electoral College; have direct popular vote determine who wins the presidency.
Repeal the 22nd Amendment; allow Presidents to run for as many terms as they like and that the voters will accept.
Create a schedule for when states can hold presidential primaries or caucuses. Do not allow any state to hold either of them before April 1 of leap year. Allow only the smallest states (3 or 4 EC votes) to hold presidential primaries or caucuses during April; allow medium-sized states (5 to 11 EC votes) to hold them during May; force all of the rest of the states to wait until June.
Allow Congress and the states to adopt any campaign finance laws they want -- campaign expenditures will no longer be interpreted to be protected by the principle of Freedom of Speech.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 05:25:47 PM »

Current Constitution with massive amendments to the electoral system. It does a fine job of protecting our civil liberties and reminding us of our history, but the electoral system is horribly out-of-date and unrepresentative and needs to go.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 08:37:53 PM »

Current Constitution with massive amendments to the electoral system. It does a fine job of protecting our civil liberties and reminding us of our history, but the electoral system is horribly out-of-date and unrepresentative and needs to go.
This, more or less.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:32:22 PM »

This, basically. I think having a continuous Constitution helps people keep their faith in the country, but the content of it needs to be changed drastically.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »

You don't actually need that many changes: I'd elect the House through a form of Proportional Representation plus give the Territories some representation at least (certainly in the House; maybe limited Senate representation as well: makes sense for it not to be equal since there are advantages to being a Territory and if you made it equal then you either have to get rid of those or the other states would moan about it) and probably keep the Senate the way - maybe move to four year terms for the House and eight year Senate terms (each state with one up every four years) in order to prevent the eternal electioneering that plagues America.  Oh; and actually empower Congress to limit campaign spending.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2017, 10:20:50 AM »

I have great respect for the constitution and think it’s a great document that has served and guided the country well. But I would like to improve it, as it has been done over the course of history.

I would propose following amendments:

- Change the voting system: Abolish the electoral college and move to direct PV elections for president.

- Reform congress: House members should be elected for four years, not two. Half of the members should be up for election each two years.

- Term limits for congress: No more than three House and two senate terms allowed. Running again after a six year break. Same for the president: Two-Term limit only for consecutive terms.

- Supreme Court appointments only for 12 years in total.

- Ban Gerrymandering. Non-partisan redistricting commission draws constituencies.

- Ban Super Pacs. Move to public funded campaigns. Small donations from private citizens should remain legal of course.

- Modify the second amendment: The right to bear arms should remain legal, but only for the purpose of self-defense and hunting. Add a provision that allows the federal government or states to regulate gun sale and use.

- Amendment for automatic voter registration
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 05:25:49 AM »

I have great respect for the constitution and think it’s a great document that has served and guided the country well. But I would like to improve it, as it has been done over the course of history.

I would propose following amendments:

- Change the voting system: Abolish the electoral college and move to direct PV elections for president.

- Reform congress: House members should be elected for four years, not two. Half of the members should be up for election each two years.

- Term limits for congress: No more than three House and two senate terms allowed. Running again after a six year break. Same for the president: Two-Term limit only for consecutive terms.

- Supreme Court appointments only for 12 years in total.

- Ban Gerrymandering. Non-partisan redistricting commission draws constituencies.

- Ban Super Pacs. Move to public funded campaigns. Small donations from private citizens should remain legal of course.

- Modify the second amendment: The right to bear arms should remain legal, but only for the purpose of self-defense and hunting. Add a provision that allows the federal government or states to regulate gun sale and use.

- Amendment for automatic voter registration

You sir have my support.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 07:11:22 AM »

There should me an amendment to allow federal referendums to be voted on by the public 

Perhaps popular vote+majority of states?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »

There should me an amendment to allow federal referendums to be voted on by the public 

Would the ability to hold national referendums be limited to only certain topics, or would anything and everything be fair game?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2017, 03:22:30 PM by Frodo »

Keep the order in which the original Constitution is organized (as well as our federal system), but have it rewritten so we would have a unicameral parliamentary system with mixed-member proportional representation (with a 5% threshold), incorporating the original ten Bill of Rights amendments including an explicit right to vote (for some reason we don't have that), an equal rights amendment, and automatic, universal voter registration.  The President (like the Governor-General in British Commonwealth countries) becomes a purely ceremonial position.  

As for the judiciary, we should follow the New Zealand model.  The Chief Justice would be appointed by the President on the advice of the Prime Minister, and subsequently voted upon by the full Congress.  All other justices and judges (at the federal level) would be appointed by the President upon the advice of the Chief Justice, Attorney General, and Solicitor General, and also voted upon by the full Congress.  

gottsu
Poland

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »

Leave it alone as it is.

Just curb the gerrymandering a bit and gun laws.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 06:35:06 PM »

Create more provisions for direct democracy, add more to the Bill of Rights, add amendments regulating the government's power and surveillance, increase the size of the House to at least 600 and the Senate to 150, get rid of gerrymandering, and for the House use multi-member constituencies with all members elected on the same ballot (top 5 get elected).
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 11:40:31 AM »

I have several ideas for amendments to the U.S Constitution. The one that is most important to me to adopt is:
allow Presidents to run for as many terms as they like and that the voters will accept.

Can't help agreeing with that. Obama would have won if he had run for the third term. And we wouldn't experience all horrors of Trump's rule.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »

Generally, what is the likelihood of changing US constitution so that a person will be able to run for presidency as many times as she/he likes? I mean in the nearest future, 5-10 years time horizon.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2018, 10:15:17 PM »

Generally, what is the likelihood of changing US constitution so that a person will be able to run for presidency as many times as she/he likes? I mean in the nearest future, 5-10 years time horizon.

The general odds of any Constitutional Amendment are extremely low. Amending the Constitution is insanely difficult, and the only reason an Amendment abolishing term limits would get rolling would be if there were an extremely popular two term president out there, and that would guarantee that the entire other party would be militantly opposed to getting rid of the term limits that are the only thing preventing them from getting wiped out in a landslide.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 04:18:46 AM »

The general odds of any Constitutional Amendment are extremely low. Amending the Constitution is insanely difficult, and the only reason an Amendment abolishing term limits would get rolling would be if there were an extremely popular two term president out there, and that would guarantee that the entire other party would be militantly opposed to getting rid of the term limits that are the only thing preventing them from getting wiped out in a landslide.

Well, but the 22d amendment was passed by bipartisan Congress. And Obama was very popular, making anyways a much better choice.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 08:52:28 AM »

The USA is a democracy, and it is up to people to decide what constitution to have. Why not create a petition to Congess? Or make midterm election candidates promise to take efforts to change the Constitution?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2018, 06:47:48 PM »

It's time to scrap the whole thing and go Parliamentary.
Proto
Estonia
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2018, 01:28:58 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2018, 03:33:36 AM by Proto »

Here I disagree. Current system is well-balanced and needs some modifications realized in amendments. Actually I admire US political system. Consider it the best in the world as can compare with systems in other countries.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 09:48:02 AM »

Here I disagree. Current system is well-balanced and needs some modifications realized in amendments. Actually I admire US political system. Consider it the best in the world as can compare with systems in other countries.

I would argue that we already operate as a de facto parliamentary republic.  The Executive Branch is the Government. It sets policy through executive orders and regulations. Congress has been relegated to the back bench: necessary for major changes, but it's given up its role as the primary originator of policy. Ben Sasse gave a speech in the Kavanaugh hearings expressing exactly this. It's been going on since the 1930s.

Unfortunately, the President answers to no one except the American people, and then only once: when up for re-election. So we now have the worst of both worlds.

At this point, placing the cabinet under direct control of Congress would return some power to the people. We are teetering on the brink of autocracy, just like what has become of many states modeled after our Constitution.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 04:45:13 PM »

Bill of Rights and then give amendments having term limits for Federal judges and changing Electoral College. All other amendments are fine
Clarktucky
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 01:06:13 AM »

The Current Constitution and Amendments are the foundation of our nation and our founding fathers were extremely smart for setting them up. They set the whole system up using a biblical  base
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies