US constitution (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:00:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  US constitution (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the best option ?
New constitution

Current Constitution

Current Constitution with amendments

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: US constitution  (Read 6184 times)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 10, 2016, 12:51:06 PM »

I have several ideas for amendments to the U.S Constitution. The one that is most important to me to adopt is:
Rewrite Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to make its meaning narrower and clearer. This part of the Constitution imposed important rules on the states, but the rules were worded briefly and vaguely. I propose writing rules that are not brief at all, but are detailed and precise. The rules that states have to obey should be as clearly worded as, by way of comparison, the rules written in the first eight amendments (which only the federal government had to obey before the 14th was adopted). Tell the states which "rights" they cannot violate and tell them which kinds of "discrimination" that cannot engage in. Leave all of the rest to the discretion of the states themselves.
Other ideas, not as important, and put in no particular order:
Eliminate the Electoral College; have direct popular vote determine who wins the presidency.
Repeal the 22nd Amendment; allow Presidents to run for as many terms as they like and that the voters will accept.
Create a schedule for when states can hold presidential primaries or caucuses. Do not allow any state to hold either of them before April 1 of leap year. Allow only the smallest states (3 or 4 EC votes) to hold presidential primaries or caucuses during April; allow medium-sized states (5 to 11 EC votes) to hold them during May; force all of the rest of the states to wait until June.
Allow Congress and the states to adopt any campaign finance laws they want -- campaign expenditures will no longer be interpreted to be protected by the principle of Freedom of Speech.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »

There should me an amendment to allow federal referendums to be voted on by the public 

Would the ability to hold national referendums be limited to only certain topics, or would anything and everything be fair game?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies