Austrian Elections & Politics 3.0 - Parliamentary Election: Oct. 15
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:54:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 3.0 - Parliamentary Election: Oct. 15
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 71
Poll
Question: How would you vote in the Oct. 15 election ?
SPÖ
ÖVP
FPÖ
Greens
NEOS
PILZ
KPÖ+
FLÖ
G!LT
Whites
For a small regional party
I'd vote invalid
I'd stay home
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 3.0 - Parliamentary Election: Oct. 15  (Read 194170 times)
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: February 08, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »

it's at least a hypothetical possible scenario, if the spö is able to stay "in touch" with the 30% range.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2017, 01:08:44 PM »

it's at least a hypothetical possible scenario, if the spö is able to stay "in touch" with the 30% range.

SPÖ+Greens+NEOS @ 50% (or close) is highly questionable.

Unless Griss runs for NEOS, they will remain at about 5% in the next federal election.

I also cannot see the Greens getting more than 11-12% (VdB-fatigue, with him as President there's no incentive anymore for additional voters to vote Green).

Which means the SPÖ has to get to around a 1/3 of the vote, which is extremely unlikely considering the current state of Social Democracy in Austria and Europe. Social Democratic parties usually always disappoint on election day.

And if Kurz is the frontrunner for the ÖVP, then Kern can say "goodbye" to his dream of a SPÖ-Green-NEOS coalition, because then they'll even have a hard time breaking 40% together (not to mention 45%) ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #252 on: February 09, 2017, 02:27:05 PM »

The 16-year old Chechen who threatened to kill Sebastian Kurz recently has posted again on Facebook (threatening to kill Kurz again, f**k his mother and blow up his school).

Today, a Vienna SWAT team raided his apartment and arrested him:

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/wien/WEGA-stuermte-Wohnung-von-Patricias-Schlaeger/268518337

(A few months ago, he also brutally beat up a 15-year old girl - but there was only a video of the incident in which he wasn't clearly visible - so he wasn't charged I guess).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2017, 02:40:42 PM »

The situation in Vienna's Muslim kindergartens/schools is more and more disturbing:

A report from an "insider" shows that already small girls starting at the age of 5 are forced to wear headscarves in kindergarten and school (this recently led to the Salzburg city government to ask Muslim parents to take off the children's headscarves before they enter the kindergarten or school in the morning).

Also, Muslim kindergartens (with funding from Saudi-Arabia and Salafist circles) are indoctrinating the young kids with severe anti-semitism and anti-western views, as well as strict patriarchal thinking and general fundamentalist Islamic views.

The "Insider" says the children are "brainwashed" by the teachers at the kindergartens and schools.

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2017, 02:42:25 PM »

hm...i am split between my general perma-doubt against everything written in this trash-tabloid and my firm belief that such problems exist.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #255 on: February 09, 2017, 02:46:00 PM »

hm...i am split between my general perma-doubt against everything written in this trash-tabloid and my firm belief that such problems exist.

These problems definitely exist.

Ö24 might be a crappy tabloid, but this is reality. Other regular newspapers are reporting this as well.

https://kurier.at/chronik/wien/kopftuecher-fuer-kinder-sind-umstritten-bleiben-aber-erlaubt/244.483.368
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2017, 03:05:47 PM »

The anti-veil law has been introduced into parliament for debate.

There will be exceptions such as for traditional reasons: for example, Austrians can dress up as Krampus and wear masks and can wear ski masks for outdoor activities and for security reasons (such as wearing a motorcycle helmet).

But Muslim women cannot fully veil themselves in public anymore (regular headscarves remain legal though).

A 150€ fine will be executed, starting July 1.

Repeated refusals to take down the full-face veil will lead to arrest.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »

Chancellor Kern (SPÖ) prefers the next government to be SPÖ-Greens-NEOS:

http://derstandard.at/2000052287666/Kerns-SPOe-strebt-Mehrheit-mit-Gruenen-und-Neos-an

It's pretty uncommon for an Austrian Chancellor to voice a coalition preference ahead of a federal election, like they do in Sweden or other Scandinavian countries ...

This is good news. You Austrians need to get rid of the "grand coalition", which is bad for democracy. This coalition sounds good.
Omega21

« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »

Then you should visit the Muslim Kindergarten near MA 35, near Dresdner Straße.

Or you can just smoke a Cigarette on the Sidewalk and see Muslim Women taking their 5-7-Year-old Headscarf-wearing Daughters out of it.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »

Yeah, I'm a "naive left leftist" or whatever, but I definitely think the state should step in with young children in hijabs. Totally not appropriate, and not even in grounds with mainstream theology.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2017, 01:38:42 PM »

On another topic, I find it odd that no pollster so far has tested by how much the ÖVP's polling numbers would explode with Sebastian Kurz as their leader ...

That's why I mailed a few pollsters recently and asked them to include this scenario in one of their future polls.

(A recent Kurier article mentioned that the JVP (Young ÖVP) has an internal poll which has the ÖVP led by Kurz in 1st place in the next federal election, but no exact numbers were published in the article. The article also mentioned that the SPÖ is currently polling Kurz's impact internally).

https://kurier.at/politik/inland/die-spoe-lotet-neuwahl-und-das-potenzial-von-sebastian-kurz-aus/244.826.198

I guess, based on his sky-high favourable ratings, that Kurz would improve the ÖVP's numbers from the current 20% to around 30% - similar to Schulz and the SPD in Germany.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2017, 01:44:18 PM »

On another topic, I find it odd that no pollster so far has tested by how much the ÖVP's polling numbers would explode with Sebastian Kurz as their leader ...

What's so great about this kid?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2017, 01:47:32 PM »

He's the ÖVP's version of Justin Trudeau:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=254431.msg5456652#msg5456652
Omega21

« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2017, 02:06:47 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2017, 02:08:22 PM by Omega21 »

He's the ÖVP's version of Justin Trudeau:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=254431.msg5456652#msg5456652

Fun fact:

Kurz in the Balkan Languages means Penis, and the all the Newspapers had headlines saying: "Our Prime minister receives penis"..

Good guy though, hope that he saves the OVP.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #264 on: February 11, 2017, 07:09:38 AM »

Even though it won't be part of the anti-Burqa/Niqab law, a new poll shows that 76% of Austrians want a ban on headscarves in schools too (primarily for teachers):

https://www.profil.at/oesterreich/umfrage-drei-lehrerinnen-kopftuch-schulen-7980776

20% are opposed. 4% undecided.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #265 on: February 13, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »

Don't know why you say "primarily for teachers" since this question seems to be solely about teachers wearing headscarves, not about pupils.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #266 on: February 13, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »

Don't know why you say "primarily for teachers" since this question seems to be solely about teachers wearing headscarves, not about pupils.

True, but I guess support for a student headscarf ban would be similar (or higher).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: February 13, 2017, 10:06:30 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 10:09:41 AM by DavidB. »

True, but I guess support for a student headscarf ban would be similar (or higher).
Why? There is a clear difference to me. Teachers should be neutral. Pupils don't have to. I definitely think teachers in public, non-religious schools shouldn't wear headscarves (or kippot, or crosses), but I think it's okay for pupils to wear them.

Totally not appropriate, and not even in grounds with mainstream theology.
Deciding for others what's part of their religion and what's not strikes me as really problematic.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: February 13, 2017, 10:14:21 AM »

Why? There is a clear difference to me. Teachers should be neutral. Pupils don't have to. I definitely think teachers in public, non-religious schools shouldn't wear headscarves (or kippot, or crosses), but I think it's okay for pupils to wear them.

Maybe for you, but not for Austrians. They generally oppose any form of headscarves, no matter in public, for teachers or for students.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #269 on: February 13, 2017, 11:01:32 AM »

Maybe for you, but not for Austrians. They generally oppose any form of headscarves, no matter in public, for teachers or for students.
That claim remains unsubstantiated as long as there is no poll on this.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: February 13, 2017, 12:20:12 PM »

That claim remains unsubstantiated as long as there is no poll on this.

And there likely won't be any in the near future.

Maybe in 10 years, when some third of all elementary students will wear a headscarf ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: February 13, 2017, 01:12:25 PM »

In other news, VdB visited the EU institutions in Brussels today, together with Kern:

They even went there in the same jet:

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: February 14, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »

After the Graz municpal elections, the ÖVP will now start coalition talks with the FPÖ.

http://derstandard.at/2000052560133/Graz-Kaum-noch-Spielraum-fuer-OeVP-Buergermeister-Nagl

Mayor Nagl initially preferred a ÖVP-SPÖ-Green coalition, but the SPÖ decided to go into opposition after their disastrous result.

The ÖVP ruled out coalitions with the KPÖ and NEOS and they don't have a majority with the Greens.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #273 on: February 14, 2017, 04:46:11 PM »

What's wrong with NEOS that the öVP would rule out a coalition with them?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #274 on: February 15, 2017, 07:43:06 AM »

What's wrong with NEOS that the öVP would rule out a coalition with them?

Don't know exactly. I read it in a newspaper article. Probably because NEOS used to attack the mayor before the election or something.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 71  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies