The Generation Z vote (aka new voters) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:58:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The Generation Z vote (aka new voters) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Generation Z vote (aka new voters)  (Read 6646 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 22, 2016, 09:15:06 PM »
« edited: December 22, 2016, 09:16:53 PM by Spicy Purrito »

Which is crazy because the younger millenials were even more D than the older ones, according to exit polls. Maybe the alt-right is really that big of a deal but other grade school polls show opposite results.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 08:11:46 AM »

I am very, very skeptical of this. Is myCollegeOptions reputable?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »

Which is crazy because the younger millenials were even more D than the older ones, according to exit polls. Maybe the alt-right is really that big of a deal but other grade school polls show opposite results.
The results of my school election poll was 44 Clinton - 41 Trump (the older grades definitely tipped it to Crooked).

And the Scholastic polls were very Democratic this year.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 09:30:42 AM »

The results of my school election poll was 44 Clinton - 41 Trump (the older grades definitely tipped it to Crooked).

And the Scholastic polls were very Democratic this year.

That's of children of all ages, though.

So, a lot of them are young Z people. If this next generation is Republican, its because of the altRight.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 09:50:53 AM »
« Edited: December 23, 2016, 09:53:32 AM by Spicy Purrito »

Before we jump to conclusions, we need to see basically the 2020 exit polls and see if these people are actually becoming more Republican. Or the 2018 ones. It could be that a lot of high schoolers are Republicans and then vote Democratic in college and establish a Democratic pattern.

Also what's the history for this poll? Is it reputable?

How many other 18-34 year olds flirted with Nationalism at age 16 and 17? There has always been a lot of what would become the alt-Right on Final Fantasy forums. In a way, Trump's election was my expirence between 2001 and 2003 coming back to remind me of the old days. I grew out of that crowd just before Pepe became a thing for anyone.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 11:59:10 AM »

Before we jump to conclusions, we need to see basically the 2020 exit polls and see if these people are actually becoming more Republican. Or the 2018 ones. It could be that a lot of high schoolers are Republicans and then vote Democratic in college and establish a Democratic pattern.

Also what's the history for this poll? Is it reputable?

How many other 18-34 year olds flirted with Nationalism at age 16 and 17? There has always been a lot of what would become the alt-Right on Final Fantasy forums. In a way, Trump's election was my expirence between 2001 and 2003 coming back to remind me of the old days. I grew out of that crowd just before Pepe became a thing for anyone.

I know nothing about their experiences honestly. I know that young white people were nowhere as radically Republican as this group. They voted 47-43% Trump which is a far cry from the Bush era. Obama also has a 44-30% approval rating in this group, which is interesting. 

Maybe they just hated Hillary.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 07:06:42 PM »

At what age do kids even have any independent political opinions, separate from their parents?  I bet if you polled high school students throughout the past several decades, you'd find them usually being to the right of those aged 18-25, simply because many kids in high school will just regurgitate whatever their parents' political beliefs are, and parents with kids in the house are going to be more conservative than 20 year olds.  So I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove?

I used to be somewhat more liberal than I am now, though my support for Trump was formed independently ("hey, this guy has a point!") because he reflected my more conservative ideals. Generally, it's more so been me rubbing information off on other family members (i.e. swayed my dad towards Trump, although it's been harder to try and redpill my international family).

Does redpill really help you get chicks?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 05:43:36 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2016, 05:50:13 PM by Spicy Purrito »

I thought this article was pretty interesting: http://www.macleans.ca/society/life/get-ready-for-generation-z/

Seems to indicate what I was saying above, some trends are more classically conservative, some more classically liberal. Maybe they can break those chains and come up with a new dichotomy.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now THAT'S something that jives with my personal worldview, lol.
Weren't Millenials thought to be conservative Evangelicals before 2008? They were supposed to help form a grandparent-grandchild  movement to check the excesses of the woodstock generation.

Though the topline of your article alludes to a libertarian generation.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 02:04:05 PM »

I think it's pretty obvious, considering that Trump is just as popular as Obama in this poll shows that Gen-Zers didn't like Clinton.

Considering I'm pretty close to Gen Z (I was born in 2000), I can say that Sanders and Trump are by far the most popular politicians of this generation. We're basically like less politically correct, anti-establishment Millennials.

Again, this is all anecdotal. Do you live in an almost uniformly white area? That may explain it. My old high school (Fort Zumwalt West in St. Charles County) voted for Clinton despite being over 80% white and being in a very Republican area. Point is, you can't generalize an entire generation with a small, unrepresentative sample of people. Perhaps the people you know are anti-PC or support the alt-Right, but I'd be willing to bet that their skepticism towards minorities is nowhere near a majority of that generation, given that it's only plurality white.

"Skepticism"
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 03:38:59 PM »

I also find it surprising that Gen Z attends church at a higher rate.

It's really not that surprising. Minorities are usually more religious than whites, and the youngest generation is still more likely to attend church at rates higher than the generation above it because their parents may make them go with them.

I can buy this. Who are the parents of these kids? Gen xers and the oldest millenials? A 22 year old having a kid in 2002?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 05:01:58 PM »

I also find it surprising that Gen Z attends church at a higher rate.

It's really not that surprising. Minorities are usually more religious than whites, and the youngest generation is still more likely to attend church at rates higher than the generation above it because their parents may make them go with them.

I can buy this. Who are the parents of these kids? Gen xers and the oldest millenials? A 22 year old having a kid in 2002?

Some young baby boomers as well. 1963+38=2001.

But yeah, Gen X overall.

Boomer moms could of been having at least few kids until this decade. There are of course new boomer dads. Look at Trump Himself. He was 59 on His last child. My dad's age today!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »

While it's almost certain Gen Z will be more conservative than the millennial generation, a word of caution. Many / most of those surveyed haven't gone to college yet, and the overwhelming majority students who go to college become more liberal as a result. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if in four years this precise sample is left-leaning, albeit not as far as the generation that preceded them.

If Trump never becomes popular, I can see Z being at least as popular. New voters keep skewing more and more liberal.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »

In fact, the fact that Z is more diverse might make that generation slightly more center-to-right and yet slightly less Republican. What comes after Generation Z? Tongue We are out of letters. I think some people referred to those born after 2000 as the "Homeland Generation", meaning they were born into a world where the country will always be involved in some sort of minor war and simply not just arresting people when a drug gang or labor union takes over some jungle a cruise boat away.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies