Should we abolish the popular vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:18:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Should we abolish the popular vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: a Phillip-esque type poll
yes

no

possibly, let's hear a good argument for it M&C...

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 69

Author Topic: Should we abolish the popular vote?  (Read 32362 times)
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« on: July 18, 2005, 02:30:19 AM »
« edited: July 18, 2005, 02:33:17 AM by dazzleman »

We can't abolish the popular vote in presidential elections.

Right now, it counts for nothing anyway, but people will always look at it, and we can't stop them from doing so.

I think we should leave the system as it is, except that I would take actual power away from individual electors and require a pre-determined system for allocating electoral votes. 

I favor winner-take-all at the state level, but of course, if some large Democratic states want to break up their electoral vote allocation, that's OK by me....Smiley

Actually, I don't favor that at all because I think it would be intolerable if somebody won in that manner.  That's one reason I fear all this tinkering with the electoral vote.  So far, the different ways of allocating electoral votes used by Maine and Nebraska haven't affected the outcome of any elections, but if states with more electoral votes, and greater political splits (such as New York and California) started doing this, and not the rest of the country, it could cause real political instability.

I have always maintained that it makes no sense for any state to dilute its power in the electoral college unless every other state does so.  I continue to believe that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies