My hate for Russia, explained
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:16:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  My hate for Russia, explained
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: My hate for Russia, explained  (Read 3298 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

I have to give BRTD credit; he's angry over people on his own side of the aisle being idiots (though I wonder how many of those same random people on message boards are now insistent Cold Warriors). It's an all too common and all too frustrating tendency to suffer whatever fools so long as they are on the same side of the political spectrum as you are.

They're pissing me too, but at least I'm trying to remember about using a brain.

It doesn't make it right, but it is much more comprehensible than simply hating Russia for its own sake. Putin isn't great by any means (in fact he's pretty rotten), but there's much more to his actions than Bond villainy and much more to the country than him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »

Personally, I don't think we should celebrate Herschel Grynszpan as a FF. His motivations were absolutely understandable, but he was essentially a useful idiot. Killing a random diplomat (Herr von Rath, a medium level fellow at best, was hardly a valuable target) was the best gift the Nazis could've hoped for. It provided them with a convenient excuse to speed up with oppressing the Jewish people. Yes, he did a huge favor for the Nazis.
Herschel Grynszpan was obviously a huge FF despite the dire consequences of his act of resistance. I see the parallels with the guy in Turkey, but what Russia does to Syrians/Muslims is simply not the same as what Nazi Germany did to Jews and the comparison is pretty inappropriate.

I can respect BRTD's opinion regarding the Turkish dude and the ambassador, even if calling them "FF" and "HP" is way too edgy and misses the entire point anyway, but you should really leave Grynszpan out of this.

I think my wording might've been too harsh. It's hard no to sympathize with the way he felt, but this just one side of the story. The second side, of no less importance, is that his action was a mistake that did no good to the Jewish people. Actually to the contrary. Let's just say he was a FF who, as far as I see this, made a mistake out of understandable motivations.

I think Soghomon Tehlirian (Armenian who killed Talal Pasha) is much closer equivalent of Grynszpan than that Turkish guy. We don't even know the full story yet. If this guy turns out to be inspired by the ISIS, for example, the "FF" thing would sound even dumber.

And I naturally agree with you, David, that we should keep proportions. The Holocaust was one of the most exceptional such occurrences, due to its sheer scale and scope. What happend in Syria is deplorable. A cruel civil war with multiple war crimes committed? Yes. But it's not carefully planned and systematically executed genocide.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2017, 04:37:10 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2017, 04:39:44 PM by DavidB. »

Oh, to be sure, the "you should really leave Grynszpan out of this" was addressed to BRTD, not to you -- I now see that my wording wasn't very clear. I pretty much agree with your last post ^^
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2017, 04:37:32 PM »

And you're so mysterious;
Got that obsession with death;
I saw  you drivin' your Prius,
an' even that was Munster Coach-esque.

You're so dark!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2017, 05:46:58 PM »

Oh, to be sure, the "you should really leave Grynszpan out of this" was addressed to BRTD, not to you -- I now see that my wording wasn't very clear. I pretty much agree with your last post ^^

Thank you. I just wanted to use this to clarify.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2017, 11:43:38 AM »

Wow, Red

they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »

....I probably have more knowledge of history and geography (especially the latter) than the average person.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 09:24:06 AM »

....I probably have more knowledge of history and geography (especially the latter) than the average person.

1. That's really not saying much.

2. Factual knowledge is not what you are lacking in.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2017, 01:28:35 PM »

1. That's really not saying much.

2. Factual knowledge is not what you are lacking in.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies