Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:18:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian by-elections, 2017 (next event: Calgary-Lougheed, AB prov.: Dec 14)  (Read 66003 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« on: August 21, 2017, 11:15:26 PM »
« edited: August 21, 2017, 11:22:38 PM by Tintrlvr »

I agree the Tories are unlikely to hold this, but the Grits might have a tougher time than many think.  I believe this area voted 67% yes in the 95 referendum so I think the BQ could possibly win here, mind you with the BQ, NDP, and Conservatives all seeming to be irrelevant in Quebec the Liberals just might take it.  In fact if Quebec becomes to Justin Trudeau like it was for his father this could make it very difficult to unseat the Liberals even if the Tories and NDP gain in English Canada.

I agree. Recent polling in Quebec is somewhat inconsistent but generally would not suggest a Liberal pick-up in an opposition-held seat in Quebec at the moment. I think the Tories are much more likely to retain than the Bloc to threaten, given the Bloc's perennial dysfunction these days, but who knows.

The best poll for the Liberals by far is Abacus's July poll, the Quebec subsample of which had Lib 53, Con 14, NDP 14, BQ 14, which would put the NDP way down from 2015 and the Liberals way up but the Cons and BQ only down slightly. The Liberals would narrowly take the seat on a uniform swing with that result, but only narrowly, and those figures suggest the Liberals are gaining more where the NDP were strong in 2015 than in Conservative-held seats with a strong Bloc history like Lac-Saint-Jean.

Campaign Research's July poll's Quebec subsample had Lib 42, Con 15, NDP 23, BQ 17, which would not be good enough for the Liberals to take the seat on a uniform swing, though they'd be in shouting distance.

Angus Reid's June poll's Quebec subsample had Lib 38, Con 18, NDP 20 (no BQ result reported), which is barely any net swing to the Liberals relative to the Conservatives and leaves the Liberals in third on a uniform swing.

And finally EKOS's June poll's Quebec subsample had Lib 33, Con 20, NDP 16, BQ 16, even worse for the Liberals, actually a swing to the Conservatives and definitely not good enough to win.

Certainly not ruling out a Liberal pick-up but does not seem to be strongly indicated by polling at the moment.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 01:45:14 PM »

Wow the NDP got 1.35%?  This experiment was a bad idea.  Only way it will work is if Tom Mulcair himself is leader. But I guess the Quebec Conservatives are also fringe...

Surprised the Conservatives though did better than the NDP as the CAQ is largely a conservative party philosophically.  It seems kind of like the PCs in Saskatchewan as opposed to the Saskatchewan Party.  By contrast while the PQ and QS are both social democratic parties, the NDP is a federalist social democratic one whereas those two are both separatists.  What is though lacking although not sure there is a market for it is a right wing separatist party.

The PQ is both a right-wing and a left-wing separatist party.

Anyway, this is not the riding in which to find left-wing federalists.

(On a related note, it is really confusing that the federal and provincial Louis-Hebert ridings are in totally different parts of Quebec. If you're going to name ridings after people, at least try to make them be in the same place!)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:35:58 PM »

Wow the NDP got 1.35%?  This experiment was a bad idea.  Only way it will work is if Tom Mulcair himself is leader. But I guess the Quebec Conservatives are also fringe...

Surprised the Conservatives though did better than the NDP as the CAQ is largely a conservative party philosophically.  It seems kind of like the PCs in Saskatchewan as opposed to the Saskatchewan Party.  By contrast while the PQ and QS are both social democratic parties, the NDP is a federalist social democratic one whereas those two are both separatists.  What is though lacking although not sure there is a market for it is a right wing separatist party.

The PQ is both a right-wing and a left-wing separatist party.

Anyway, this is not the riding in which to find left-wing federalists.

(On a related note, it is really confusing that the federal and provincial Louis-Hebert ridings are in totally different parts of Quebec. If you're going to name ridings after people, at least try to make them be in the same place!)

Huh They are both in Quebec City, and overlap.. though I loathe ridings named for people. Maybe you're thinking of Papineau?

For some reason I thought the federal one was near Montreal. Carry on Smiley
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »

I wouldn't put them into fringe party status yet. Their by-election performance was... respectable... but definitely below expectations. But yeah, it was definitely a fringe party move to run their leader.  Real parties wait for a good opportunity Wink

I guess it depends on how one defines fringe parties. I would put them at the same level as the federal Greens.

The federal Greens put up strong results whenever they run their leader somewhere (well, hasn't happened in a while since May has been an MP since 2011, but the results in London North Centre in 2006 and Central Nova in 2008 are pretty indicative). Not so true of the Alberta Liberals apparently.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies