VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:10:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161217 times)
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: October 30, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »

I want to ask, why exactly is Fairfax weaker than Northam? 

$$ Fairfax simply doesn’t have the adequate resources to sell himself to voters while Vogel is personally wealthy. And the GOV/AG races are sucking up all the money, if the Senate was tied like it was in 2013 and Ds could take back the chamber you’d see more attention to Fairfax.

I think Fairfax is the only D on the ballot I would vote for.. Vogel seems like a dirty campaigner..
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1276 on: October 30, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »

This has been one of the worst campaigns ever run.

Gillespie?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1277 on: October 30, 2017, 09:53:35 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2017, 09:59:16 PM by Patrick »

Let's not pretend that the Gillespie campaign has been keeping the moral high ground.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #1278 on: October 30, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »

I was referring to the election campaign in general.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1279 on: October 30, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »

Gillespie has run a series of clearly racist ads, but when a Super PAC calls out the racism it's an "error" and "sad". What is sad is the double standard.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1280 on: October 30, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »

Ha yeah this ad is REALLY going to sink Northam more then the new today
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1281 on: October 31, 2017, 01:59:53 AM »

"HOW DARE YOU CALL ME RACIST," The skinhead yelled.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1282 on: October 31, 2017, 02:16:55 AM »

Big unforced error for Northam with this ad: https://twitter.com/latinovictoryus/status/924972736996364289

Not directly from the Northam campaign, but its getting a ton of traction online. Its sad that Northam is sinking to the same level as Gillespie with this fear-mongering.

Campaigns cannot coordinate with Super PACs.

Hillary did.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/05/12/how-a-super-pac-plans-to-coordinate-directly-with-hillary-clintons-campaign/?utm_term=.578a1278aace
AtorBoltox

« Reply #1283 on: October 31, 2017, 02:26:37 AM »

I like the ad. Demonising your opponents is the way to win as republicans have shown. Taking the moral high ground may make you feel all warm and fuzzy but it gets you nowhere
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1284 on: October 31, 2017, 02:29:41 AM »

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Northam ad, at least not these days. Gillespie can run the MS-13 ads, Northam can run his "Latino Fear" ads, and voters can decide whose scare-mongering is more accurate on election day. The era of conciliatory, positive campaigning is over.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #1285 on: October 31, 2017, 07:21:19 AM »

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Northam ad, at least not these days.... Northam can run his "Latino Fear" ads...

Northam did not run this ad.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1286 on: October 31, 2017, 07:23:59 AM »

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with the Northam ad, at least not these days.... Northam can run his "Latino Fear" ads...

Whatever false equivalency works for him to justify his support for Gillespie.
swf541

« Reply #1287 on: October 31, 2017, 08:19:13 AM »

Whatever false equivalency works for him to justify his support for Gillespie.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1288 on: October 31, 2017, 08:58:05 AM »

There are so few Latino voters in VA I am not sure why this group is even getting involved. Maybe a positive mailer would've been more effective than an ad that only generates negative press for Northam.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1289 on: October 31, 2017, 09:20:37 AM »

There are so few Latino voters in VA I am not sure why this group is even getting involved. Maybe a positive mailer would've been more effective than an ad that only generates negative press for Northam.

This ad is geared to "northeastern" NoVa suburbanites that don't like the "racist southern rednecks" that live in the "other" parts of the state and playing up to the fears of the white nationalists from Charlottesville. It's not pretty, but it's a good response to the dirt that Gillespie has run.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1290 on: October 31, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »

Relevant, one comment but if this is a trend... (and it's looking likely)

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2404/Which-party-will-win-the-2017-Virginia-gubernatorial-race
The Zenome Project • an hour ago
The Latino Victory ad has done quite a bit of damage, at least with my greater family in NoVA. My relatives there were saying that a bunch of their people were either going to stay away from the election or vote Gillespie after seeing that commercial. It's also going viral on mainstream conservative media, as Tucker Carlson covered it last night and Mark Dice (the right-wing TMZ account) posted the commercial a few hours ago.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1291 on: October 31, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2017, 09:35:05 AM by VirginiaModerate »

This ad is geared to "northeastern" NoVa suburbanites that don't like the "racist southern rednecks" that live in the "other" parts of the state and playing up to the fears of the white nationalists from Charlottesville. It's not pretty, but it's a good response to the dirt that Gillespie has run.

You know what, I am so sick of this IDENTITY POLITICS BS from the Democrats that it almost makes me want to vote for Ed. They need to get off their holier than thou high horse esp come next year and more so in 2020. I am originally from NJ but raised in central VA and moved to NoVA due to a job opportunity and I can tell you not everyone south of PW is some "dumb redneck, herp derp, uhuh!" It is actually quite moderate but some conservative areas but a beautiful part of the state but is suffering economically. But let's ignore that Dems and just keep calling them hicks! Sure, that's a great way to win more votes...
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1292 on: October 31, 2017, 09:29:33 AM »

Relevant, one comment but if this is a trend... (and it's looking likely)

https://www.predictit.org/Market/2404/Which-party-will-win-the-2017-Virginia-gubernatorial-race
The Zenome Project • an hour ago
The Latino Victory ad has done quite a bit of damage, at least with my greater family in NoVA. My relatives there were saying that a bunch of their people were either going to stay away from the election or vote Gillespie after seeing that commercial. It's also going viral on mainstream conservative media, as Tucker Carlson covered it last night and Mark Dice (the right-wing TMZ account) posted the commercial a few hours ago.

Folks always say this about negative ads, but they generally have the desired effect regardless of the anecdotes.  
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1293 on: October 31, 2017, 09:34:38 AM »

You know what, I am so sick of this IDENTITY POLITICS BS from the Democrats that it almost makes me want to vote for Ed. I won't but they need to get off their holier than thou high horse esp come next year and more so in 2020. I am originally from NJ but raised in central VA and moved to NoVA due to a job opportunity and I can tell you not everyone south of PW is some "dumb redneck, herp derp, uhuh!" It is actually quite moderate but some conservative areas but a beautiful part of the state but is suffering economically. But let's ignore that Dems and just keep calling them hicks! Sure, that's a great way to win more votes...

Wait, Gillespie has been running white identity ads on MS-13 and Confederate statues for months, but it's the Democrats that only do identity politics?

What am I missing here?
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1294 on: October 31, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »

You know what, I am so sick of this IDENTITY POLITICS BS from the Democrats that it almost makes me want to vote for Ed. I won't but they need to get off their holier than thou high horse esp come next year and more so in 2020. I am originally from NJ but raised in central VA and moved to NoVA due to a job opportunity and I can tell you not everyone south of PW is some "dumb redneck, herp derp, uhuh!" It is actually quite moderate but some conservative areas but a beautiful part of the state but is suffering economically. But let's ignore that Dems and just keep calling them hicks! Sure, that's a great way to win more votes...

Wait, Gillespie has been running white identity ads on MS-13 and Confederate statues for months, but it's the Democrats that only do identity politics?

What am I missing here?

Both sides are guilty of running these trashy ads as I previously commented here
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1295 on: October 31, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »

What am I missing here?

Both sides are guilty of running these trashy ads as I previously commented here

Unfortunately, they tend to obtain the desired effect. I still don't think this ad is as bad as Gillespie calling Northam a supporter of sex offenders and pedophiles.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1296 on: October 31, 2017, 09:56:55 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2017, 09:58:48 AM by VirginiaModerate »

Another thing, adding in the Gadsden license plate to the truck was an insanely idiotic move. Those are everywhere in VA and one of the most popular in the state, esp. with veterans and AD. Northam could very well lose % pts in PW and Ffx margins (Quantico, Belvoir, moderate vets and AD) based off something like that alone, even though this ad wasn't from him.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1297 on: October 31, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »

Oh f**k off with this "both sides" bs Moderate Ed's been running a disgusting white identity politics campaign for months including calling Ralph a pedo protector and now you give him crap for fighting fire with fire?
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1298 on: October 31, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »

Oh f**k off with this "both sides" bs Moderate Ed's been running a disgusting white identity politics campaign for months including calling Ralph a pedo protector and now you give him crap for fighting fire with fire?

I give him crap for doing it, Northam for doing it, and now this Latino group for doing it with the disgusting ad. Most Virginians don't favor ads like these from either side and I have personally been told so by people who are tired of them, ignoring them on TV, throwing away the mailers (Ed's not Northam's). They mailers are practically useless now and they have been ramping up the "scary racist Ed" ones in PW County. It promptly went into the trash.

Both sides are guilty of running their respective campaigns into the gutter in the home stretch for turnout and it is despicable.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1299 on: October 31, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »

The ad is dumb. But if you're getting offended by it, then you were probably voting for Gillespie anyway. And if you were still undecided after the pedo protector race baiting ads, then you were probably voting Gillespie.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies