VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:09:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 159889 times)
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1150 on: October 23, 2017, 02:05:13 PM »

Agreed, would loose 3-5% in NoVa.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1151 on: October 23, 2017, 02:22:43 PM »

Gillespie is now running ads on radio stations like 100.3 Big 100 a classic rock station out of MD that has reach in DC and NoVA all the way down to Fredericksburg and below. I heard it this morning driving to work and it went something like "Northam believes that $17,000 is rich and that's why he's never voted for any tax cut. I'm Ed Gillespie and I believe that tax cuts will grow Virginia's economy and will provide more money for education and give our teachers a needed pay raise."

He is pivoting to the center to hook NoVA voters. I don't think many will switch their votes based off of this alone, but it will stick in the minds of many undecideds, especially if they vote on economics. Gillespie is trying his best to make Ralph Northam look like a tax increase lover and friend of gangs. It's shameful but it might stick.

He botched this campaign, it seems, by focusing on Confederate statues and illegal immigration much more than necessary in a Virginia election.

I'd argue his move back to the center is really the problem here.

There's a reason Da' C*&ch kept it close as he did against T-Mac, who wasn't asleep at the wheel like Warner was back in 2014.

But yeah, the muddled mess means now he's not gonna impress either side.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1152 on: October 23, 2017, 03:39:26 PM »

The “wearing a coal miners hat” money quote does more to underline our identity-obsessed politics than anything else I’ve seen in a while

b-b-b-but I thought it was the Democrats obsessed with identity politics! Not muh sweet precious Appalachian miners!
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1153 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:35 PM »

Gillespie now hitting Northam on felon voting rights and along with MS-13 Northam supports child molesters too.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1154 on: October 23, 2017, 04:42:51 PM »

Gillespie now hitting Northam on felon voting rights and along with MS-13 Northam supports child molesters too.

If you have to resort to accusing your opponent of supporting child molesters, your campaign clearly isn't going too well.
HST1948

« Reply #1155 on: October 23, 2017, 04:48:59 PM »

If you have to resort to accusing your opponent of supporting child molesters, your campaign clearly isn't going too well.

Especially when your opponent is a pediatrician...
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1156 on: October 23, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »

Gillespie is a complete disgrace.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1157 on: October 23, 2017, 05:29:23 PM »

If it works, it works. But I'm worried "child molesters" is too much of a shock for people to believe, and thus will actually hurt Gillespie.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1158 on: October 23, 2017, 05:46:15 PM »

If it works, it works. But I'm worried "child molesters" is too much of a shock for people to believe, and thus will actually hurt Gillespie.

ALL ATLAS MEMBERS ARE DUTY AND HONOR BOUND TO START "WULFRIC SUPPORTS CHILD MOLESTERS" THREADS

Whatever. If Northam ran an ad calling Gllespie a rapist none of you would criticize it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1159 on: October 23, 2017, 06:05:44 PM »

This kind of thinking in political campaigns is part of the reason so many people hate politicians and elections.

Shame!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1160 on: October 23, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »

ALL ATLAS MEMBERS ARE DUTY AND HONOR BOUND TO START "WULFRIC SUPPORTS CHILD MOLESTERS" THREADS

Whatever. If Northam ran an ad calling Gllespie a rapist none of you would criticize it.

Just because you let your widdle feeling weelings get hurtsies so easily, does not make throwing around trash the correct response Sad. Yes I know I'm being a hypocrite here. Fwiw, as a strong dem, I would not support a candidate (including Northam) if they did that. But, the odds are quite low that this happens, none the less, I don't condone it.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1161 on: October 23, 2017, 10:35:50 PM »

Here's the thing about Trumpism. It's bigger than just Trump, and Trump cannot guide where it goes and how it works. He couldn't use it to help Strange, and he can't use it to help out Gillespie. It is a wild force that can be utilized by certain people under the proper conditions, but not controlled or shaped by the individual.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1162 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:16 AM »

^ There's a reason for that. It's not as if Trump went around hypnotizing people into blindly following whatever he says. Instead, he tapped into a constituency that had existed during the Obama years, but had been ignored by the republican establishment because they felt their path to victory was winning back the suburbs that voted for Bush in 2004, and had thus stayed home or even voted Democrat in disgust. Trump went after it because it perfectly reflects his views on key issues such as immigration and trade, and they don't reject him because of his gaffes and scandals because they don't agree that such things are gaffes/scandals. But it doesn't mean that Trump has some sort of Kim Jong Un-like worship where he can never be wrong - his base has shown itself to be ready and willing to show him when they believe he is wrong. They did it in Alabama by rejecting Luther Strange, and they may do it in Virginia by staying home or voting Hyra.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1163 on: October 24, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »

This kind of thinking in political campaigns is part of the reason so many people hate politicians and elections.

Shame!
Wulfric has no shame. At least that's coupled with a complete lack of self awareness.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1164 on: October 24, 2017, 12:31:20 PM »

Dreading on people's fantasy endorsements is silly (especially in the case of Wulfric as it just encourages him), but can someone please explain to me why Wulfric supports Gillespie? Northam is the personification of the ever-glorified centrist Democrat - I mean the guy almost joined the GOP in 2009 while in office for Christ's sake - while Gillespie is a Trump/Stewart-appeasing right-winger.

Because the only thing Wulfric likes more than Moderate Heroes is curtailing women’s rights.
UncleSam

« Reply #1165 on: October 24, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »

Lol at all the left wingers triggered by Gillespie's slandering Northam while openly calling Trump a rapist in other threads. The hypocrisy is real.

Both parties lie about each other all the time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But if anyone really thinks making an Olympic long jump of a logical leap and then labeling your opponent something outrageous is remotely out of the mainstream, well, news flash, it isn't and it is done constantly by both sides.

Just some people are dumb enough to believe it / support it when it comes from a campaign or candidate they agree with.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1166 on: October 24, 2017, 12:46:39 PM »

Lol at all the left wingers triggered by Gillespie's slandering Northam while openly calling Trump a rapist in other threads. The hypocrisy is real.

Wow, what an insightful take! Unfortunately, though, the fact that Trump is undeniably a sexual predator renders this comparison moot. The effort you put into this whataboutery is commendable, though. Keep fighting the good fight!

Not to mention that a candidate for governor should probably be held to a higher standard than random posters on uselectionatlas.org, but hey, we're in the era of Trump now. Anything goes!
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1167 on: October 24, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »

There's several reasons I support Gillespie.

Northam is too liberal on Climate/Energy Issues

You must be logged in to read this quote.

His supposed support for rural Virginia is revealed for the sham it is when a fairly superficial read through his website makes it clear that he is anti-coal.

Northam is too liberal on Guns

He has indicated support for not only an assault weapons ban, but also limits on size of gun clips, and likely would support a limit on size of gun magazines as well.

Northam is too liberal on Abortion

I think his 100% rating with Planned Parenthood and NARAL speaks for itself here.

While Gillespie has dabbed in Trumpism, he is still an establishment republican and his win would still show that non-Trumpist Rs can win in key states

Going to be perfectly honest here, I just really want to see a Republican win Virginia one last time before it joins the solid D northeast
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1168 on: October 24, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
« Edited: October 24, 2017, 12:52:41 PM by shua »

Gillespie is now running ads on radio stations like 100.3 Big 100 a classic rock station out of MD that has reach in DC and NoVA all the way down to Fredericksburg and below. I heard it this morning driving to work and it went something like "Northam believes that $17,000 is rich and that's why he's never voted for any tax cut. I'm Ed Gillespie and I believe that tax cuts will grow Virginia's economy and will provide more money for education and give our teachers a needed pay raise."

He is pivoting to the center to hook NoVA voters. I don't think many will switch their votes based off of this alone, but it will stick in the minds of many undecideds, especially if they vote on economics. Gillespie is trying his best to make Ralph Northam look like a tax increase lover and friend of gangs. It's shameful but it might stick.

He botched this campaign, it seems, by focusing on Confederate statues and illegal immigration much more than necessary in a Virginia election.

I'd argue his move back to the center is really the problem here.

There's a reason Da' C*&ch kept it close as he did against T-Mac, who wasn't asleep at the wheel like Warner was back in 2014.

But yeah, the muddled mess means now he's not gonna impress either side.

Cooch was a true believer with a record that matched his rhetoric and didn't suddenly discover the right-wing of his party after almost losing a primary.   And T-Mac was widely disliked.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1169 on: October 24, 2017, 12:56:42 PM »

Doesn't the fact that Gillespie is getting this desperate lend more credence to the polls showing a modest to big Northam lead as opposed to the ones showing a razor thin race? I'm not sure why you'd make such a huge gamble if it really was neck and neck.
UncleSam

« Reply #1170 on: October 24, 2017, 12:58:21 PM »

Wow, what an insightful take! Unfortunately, though, the fact that Trump is undeniably a sexual predator renders this comparison moot. The effort you put into this whataboutery is commendable, though. Keep fighting the good fight!
Keep drinking the kool aid fam lol

Every political candidate from both major parties have pulled this bullsh**t continuously for centuries. The fact that you keep believing them is why.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1171 on: October 24, 2017, 01:02:14 PM »

Somewhat unrelated, but UncleSam, aren't you the guy who said Laura Ingraham was a Virgin Mary-like figure to Appalachian voters or something? Do you still believe this?
UncleSam

« Reply #1172 on: October 24, 2017, 01:04:38 PM »

Not to mention that a candidate for governor should probably be held to a higher standard than random posters on uselectionatlas.org, but hey, we're in the era of Trump now. Anything goes!
It was the Hillary Clinton campaign for president and the NY Times who were the biggest proponents of this line of attack

Either way I think liberals massively underestimate just how unlikeable being snarky, reactionary, and void of critical thought in their responses makes them to most people.

Try to understand what someone is saying before snap responding and you'll get a much broader (and more cynical) perspective on the world. Hillary Clinton lied, Donald Trump lied, Ed Gillespie is lying and Northam is too. Trusting politicians on conveniently-timed slander is just perpetuating its' usefulness.
Keep cool-idge
Benjamin Harrison he is w
United States

« Reply #1173 on: October 24, 2017, 01:06:59 PM »

There's several reasons I support Gillespie.

Northam is too liberal on Climate/Energy Issues

His supposed support for rural Virginia is revealed for the sham it is when a fairly superficial read through his website makes it clear that he is anti-coal.

Northam is too liberal on Guns

He has indicated support for not only an assault weapons ban, but also limits on size of gun clips, and likely would support a limit on size of gun magazines as well.

Northam is too liberal on Abortion

I think his 100% rating with Planned Parenthood and NARAL speaks for itself here.

While Gillespie has dabbed in Trumpism, he is still an establishment republican and his win would still show that non-Trumpist Rs can win in key states

Going to be perfectly honest here, I just really want to see a Republican win Virginia one last time before it joins the solid D northeast
UncleSam

« Reply #1174 on: October 24, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »

Somewhat unrelated, but UncleSam, aren't you the guy who said Laura Ingraham was a Virgin Mary-like figure to Appalachian voters or something? Do you still believe this?
That seems fairly reasonable, hard core right wingers love her in a way that defies logic (as in most things they love). I don't see why things would be any different now, unless you're referring to some event or poll I am unfamiliar with.

Doesn't mean she'd have a chance statewide though.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies