VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:57:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 73
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: Utter Panic and Doom (General election: Nov 7th)  (Read 161054 times)
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1225 on: October 28, 2017, 09:55:18 AM »

The takeaway from this election will be how Northam ran up huge margins in the metro areas to essentially guarantee himself winning statewide. Northam will win by a minimum of 6% and a maximum of 10%. Same goes for Fairfax and Herring.

If PW and Fairfax vote. Historically, gubernatorial turnout here is like 40%. VB, even as Northam's home base, is a conservative area. If downstate comes out and if turnout is diluted in NoVA, it will be a closer race than people think.

I don't believe it will be closer than people/pollsters think. Dems have the wind at their back this cycle. Reps are running into it. It seems easy to see which group of candidates will come out on top. Still need proof? Look at the June primary results. 6 in 10 VA voters voted for a Democrat. A huge (even gigantic) lead, in summer. It will be at least this same margin in November. All of the Republicans are going down.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1226 on: October 28, 2017, 11:14:39 AM »

What effect, if any, will there be on this race from the reported indictments in the Mueller investigation?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1227 on: October 28, 2017, 11:58:50 AM »

What effect, if any, will there be on this race from the reported indictments in the Mueller investigation?

It's possible it could widen the enthusiasm gap. I'm not sure how many votes such an event would flip though, even if there is some of correlation between views of the president and downballot election choices. That effect is usually more prevalent in races that aren't as high-profile as the Governors race.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1228 on: October 28, 2017, 12:37:46 PM »

SEIU is canvassing PW right now. They just left a Northam-Fairfax-Herring door hanger on my door. It's pretty good in terms of print quality; hits hard on Medicaid expansion and livable wage on the back.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1229 on: October 28, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »

For some reason, I sense that Gillespie has more real popularity, whereas Northam is the candidate the Democrats were stuck with.  For their own good, of course.

I sense a Gillespie upset.  And it will be an upset, because Northam should win.  But I sense he won't.

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1230 on: October 28, 2017, 02:56:07 PM »

For some reason, I sense that Gillespie has more real popularity, whereas Northam is the candidate the Democrats were stuck with.  For their own good, of course.

I sense a Gillespie upset.  And it will be an upset, because Northam should win.  But I sense he won't.

No way on this.  Perriello would win by 10-15, probably with the highest turnout on record for an odd year.

Now they are stuck with another 2013/14 trying to squeeze just enough extra votes out of Fairfax with social issues.  IMO it will probably work and he still wins by 1-3, but it didn't need to be close when there is a GOP incumbent president with <40% approval.  Perriello would have made Trump's statewide approval % Gillespie's ceiling.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1231 on: October 28, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »

Perriello would win by 10-15, probably with the highest turnout on record for an odd year.

Uh, no, he probably wouldn't have. Perriello was supposed to be a lightning rod for liberal grassroots activism from across the left-wing spectrum, which was supposed to be part of his GE strength. But he was not able to deliver on that in the Democratic primary. Not anywhere close, actually, even when people like me were sweating like dogs thinking he had a formula for cracking Fairfax County.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1232 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »

Everyone's acting like Gillespie's gonna overperform the polls again massively or something and treating it as if it's destined to be within 3 points

The polling average doesn't need to be off by anywhere near as it was in 2014 for Gillespie to win though. The 2014 averages were roughly Warner +9, this year the average is somewhere between Northam +2.75 and Northam +4 (several "fair" calculations are possible). As I said upthread, under most calculations, Northam can no longer withstand the entire 2013 polling error of 4%. That being said, I understand that betting on polling errors is a poor strategy at times, and will keep the race in the Lean D category as long as the average stays above half the 2013 polling error (2%).
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1233 on: October 28, 2017, 03:18:46 PM »

Northam won fair and square win a large margin with higher than expected turnout. Gillespie barely got out of his primary and the party is not totally unified behind him. Plus his popularity is basically an extension of the Bushes not necessarily for his own accomplishment or statesmanship. 
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1234 on: October 28, 2017, 03:28:13 PM »

Everyone's acting like Gillespie's gonna overperform the polls again massively or something and treating it as if it's destined to be within 3 points

The polling average doesn't need to be off by anywhere near as it was in 2014 for Gillespie to win though. The 2014 averages were roughly Warner +9, this year the average is somewhere between Northam +2.75 and Northam +4 (several "fair" calculations are possible). As I said upthread, under most calculations, Northam can no longer withstand the entire 2013 polling error of 4%. That being said, I understand that betting on polling errors is a poor strategy at times, and will keep the race in the Lean D category as long as the average stays above half the 2013 polling error (2%).

if you take out the two wack polls with Gillespie up, Northam's lead is over 7 points. Those are the ones screwing the average. Hence, expecting Gillespie to outperform an average like that is ridiculous. I can't wait til this race is over so we can stop this stupid notion that only Republicans overperform averages in off years.

The Hampton poll with Gillespie+8 looks strange.  Nate Cohn has pointed out that the internal numbers in it don't add up, so I think it's reasonable to discount that one.  But if you throw out the other poll with a Gillespie lead, you should also throw out the Q poll with Northam +14, although I'd keep both of them.  They're probably just outliers, which do happen.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1235 on: October 28, 2017, 03:31:48 PM »

About the Hampton poll: Just wait like 5 days before they come out with their final poll with Northam +5 to cover their ass. They did this in 2016 and they'll do it again.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1236 on: October 28, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »

if you take out the two wack polls with Gillespie up, Northam's lead is over 7 points. Those are the ones screwing the average. Hence, expecting Gillespie to outperform an average like that is ridiculous. I can't wait til this race is over so we can stop this stupid notion that only Republicans overperform averages in off years.

You can take out Hampton, but if you do that, it's only fair that you take out Quinnipiac as well. The polls that show Gillespie +1-+2 are not really outlandish and should be part of any fair calculation, though of course it's fair to use "the polling company's" three-way numbers (Tie) instead of their two-way numbers (Gillespie +2), but even doing that keeps it within that Northam +2.75 to Northam +4 range in a five poll or six poll average.

About the Hampton poll: Just wait like 5 days before they come out with their final poll with Northam +5 to cover their ass. They did this in 2016 and they'll do it again.

If that happens, I will of course take that into account.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1237 on: October 28, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2017, 05:50:05 PM by Gass3268 »

Washington Post endorses Northam, Fairfax & Herring
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1238 on: October 28, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »

How shocking.

Said no one.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1239 on: October 28, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »

They endorsed Comstock last year
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1240 on: October 28, 2017, 07:00:43 PM »

They didn't just endorse the Democratic ticket, they went after the Republicans:

Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1241 on: October 28, 2017, 10:55:46 PM »

For some reason, I sense that Gillespie has more real popularity, whereas Northam is the candidate the Democrats were stuck with. 
The candidate who almost lost to an alt-right neo-Confederate extremist has more popularity? K.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1242 on: October 28, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »

I don't get this attitude of "oh 2013 was off so that's going to be Ed's #" the situation on the ground is completely different
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1243 on: October 29, 2017, 12:37:26 AM »

I don't get this attitude of "oh 2013 was off so that's going to be Ed's #" the situation on the ground is completely different

Simple:

Gillespie is clearly better at branching out than Da' C69ch, and Northam doesn't seem to be running nearly as high an energy campaign as Fast Terry.

This evens out the playing field again.

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1244 on: October 29, 2017, 01:20:03 AM »

Simple:

Gillespie is clearly better at branching out than Da' C69ch, and Northam doesn't seem to be running nearly as high an energy campaign as Fast Terry.

Northam is probably one of the laziest gubernatorial campaigners in modern history. It's almost ridiculous how low energy he is, to use a Trumpian term.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1245 on: October 29, 2017, 01:31:09 AM »

Simple:

Northam is probably one of the laziest gubernatorial campaigners in modern history. It's almost ridiculous how low energy he is, to use a Trumpian term.

Can't tell if you're serious.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1246 on: October 29, 2017, 01:32:11 AM »

Simple:

Can't tell if you're serious.
From what I've heard both in 2013 and in 2017, I'm completely serious.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1247 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:05 AM »

Simple:

Branching out?! He's running a rural culture warrior campaign with all the dog whistles. There is no evidence he is keeping a good % of moderates or not getting blown out in NoVa
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #1248 on: October 29, 2017, 04:41:56 AM »

I just can't fathom a former Washington lobbyist being more popular with voters than a pediatrician and former Army doctor. Looking through Gillespie's career I can't find a single noble thing he's ever done.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1249 on: October 29, 2017, 10:22:52 AM »

Worth noting that the polls were only off at the top of the ticket in 2013.  Northam's big margin and Herring's statistical tie were accurately forecasted for LG and AG.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 55 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies