"Democrat Party"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:27:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Democrat Party"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "Democrat Party"  (Read 2361 times)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2020, 01:19:23 PM »

Let's start calling them The Pubic party, I mean it contains all the letters in Republican.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2020, 08:18:02 PM »

As I recall, the term "Democrat Party" began in the 1970s.  It started out as a gaffe when Bob Dole (as Gerald Ford's 1976 running mate) blamed the Democrats for starting all the wars of the 20th century, calling them "Democrat Wars".  This was a gaffe that didn't go over well, but it was after this that conservative media began to use the term.  It didn't really get started until Newt Gingrich began in earnest to capture the House of Representatives.  It's a feature in conservative media now; that's for sure.

It is rather juvenile.  The "Democratic Party" is its name.  There's no need to be juvenile about it.  The Democrats have provided enough ammunition to use in argument against them that slights like this are kind of silly.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 08:50:29 PM »

I mostly hate it because it sounds bad. Lmao having opinions based on ideological principles or desire to have your party look good.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2020, 03:26:58 AM »

Can Democrats please start calling them the “Republican’t Party”
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2020, 11:08:57 PM »

I like saying it when I'm in a particularly bad mood.  I'll keep doing it so long as certain prerequisites are not met.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »

Type in “Democrat Party” into Twitter and you’ll see that the only people who use it are far-right nutjobs like James Woods and Qanoners who spend all of their time on Twitter sh**tting on the “Democrat Party”

This is my issue with it - that people can't even have a discussion about politics or make simple political statements without throwing out subtle insults aimed at their opponents. It's not just people like Limbaugh or other talking heads. Republican politicians use it all the time (eg: Ted Cruz), from the local level all the way to Congress. Maybe Democrats in Congress should regularly refer to Republicans as "Rethuglicans." If Democratic pols said that as much as Republicans say "Democrat Party," they'd be whining about "liberal elites talking down to conservative voters" non-stop.

I don't really expect better of everyone - many of us, myself included, make snide remarks from time to time too, but most of us are not anyone important in the public sphere. I just wish people with actual influence could do a little better with their casual comments.

update:

Literally can't even file a legal brief without using this insult
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2021, 03:32:36 PM »

They only do it because people let themselves get offended by it.

How sad must somebody’s life be for then to feel better after “triggering the libs?”
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2021, 04:00:39 PM »

It's a stupid Boomer thing. Free Republic and most right wing forums during the Clinton and Bush years would do the -rat thing emphasizing it, like saying "DemocRAT Party" or Jeanine Pirro recently saying "They're not Democrats...they're Demon Rats!" and thinking this was some savage owning.
Anyone that unironically use the terms Obummer, Demonrat, Rethuglican, Drumpf, and many others has a pea-sized brain.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies