Which state is the heart and soul of the Democratic/Republican Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:44:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Which state is the heart and soul of the Democratic/Republican Party?  (Read 11383 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2017, 03:14:49 PM »

Democratic Party:

California - very coastal, urban, and diverse state embracing globalism

Republican Party:

West Virginia - landlocked, rural, and overwhelmingly working class white state suffering from globalism
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 03:17:43 PM »

I agree about California, but I think Arkansas is closer to being the heart of the Republican party, since it's not as populist as West Virginia, and has become more averse to electing Democrats at any level. It still seems to be the case that a certain kind of Democrat can compete in West Virginia.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:29:17 PM »

Dems: Maryland
Republicans: Wyoming
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »

I agree about California, but I think Arkansas is closer to being the heart of the Republican party, since it's not as populist as West Virginia, and has become more averse to electing Democrats at any level. It still seems to be the case that a certain kind of Democrat can compete in West Virginia.

I do see what you mean, while not as white as West Virginia, Arkansas is also "landlocked, rural, and overwhelmingly working class white"
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 03:47:16 PM by Jacobin American »

California is, without question, the heart and soul of the Democratic Party. It's one of the most diverse and increasingly diversifying states; has a large liberal, college educated White population; its economy is dominated by industries and sectors that favor higher education and globalization; and it's both socially and economically liberal.

Maryland is the runner-up as it is a highly diverse state with a large, liberal, college educated White population and dominated by globalized industries and governmental agencies. It's not as socially liberal as California, but it is highly supportive of the federal government and globalization.

Choosing a single state for Republicans is difficult. During the Bush II years I would've chosen a Southern state, such as Texas. But today, under Trump, the party is more Rust Belt oriented. I'd say Indiana is the heart and soul of the present GOP. It's a de-industrialized state that has been negatively effected by globalization; socially conservative, but not fundamentalist; highly skeptical of coastal elite and outsiders; and composed largely of white, conservative, working class types.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »

Dems: Massachusetts
GOP: Wyoming
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 03:57:29 PM »

California is, without question, the heart and soul of the Democratic Party. It's one of the most diverse and increasingly diversifying states; has a large liberal, college educated White population; its economy is dominated by industries and sectors that favor higher education and globalization; and it's both socially and economically liberal.

Maryland is the runner-up as it is a highly diverse state with a large, liberal, college educated White population and dominated by globalized industries and governmental agencies. It's not as socially liberal as California, but it is highly supportive of the federal government and globalization.

Choosing a single state for Republicans is difficult. During the Bush II years I would've chosen a Southern state, such as Texas. But today, under Trump, the party is more Rust Belt oriented. I'd say Indiana is the heart and soul of the present GOP. It's a de-industrialized state that has been negatively effected by globalization; socially conservative, but not fundamentalist; highly skeptical of coastal elite and outsiders; and composed largely of white, conservative, working class types.

Agreed about Cali and Indiana.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 05:02:48 PM »

I'd support Indiana, but not because it's SO "working class."  It's not like the college educated, wealthy professionals around Indianapolis aren't Republicans, too.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 05:27:32 PM »

Y'all are forgetting that there are elements of the Republican coalition that aren't Trump or social conservatives. I have a hard time believing that John Kasich or Marco Rubio would say that West Virginia is the heart of their party.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »

I'd support Indiana, but not because it's SO "working class."  It's not like the college educated, wealthy professionals around Indianapolis aren't Republicans, too.

Well, of course. The WWC did shift significantly to the right for Trump in Indiana, but the upper middle class around Indianapolis (such as Hamilton County) are highly Republican as well. I should've included their conservative, upper middle class professionals as well. But all of that, when taken together, best describes the current GOP.
Liberalrocks
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 06:00:06 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2017, 06:02:34 PM by Liberalrocks »

Democrats: California Republicans: Idaho
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 06:20:55 PM »

If we just went by "region" for the "heart and soul" (or, if I'm reading it correctly, basic *feel* of the party and what its goals are), I think it's obvious that the Northeast still holds that place for the Democrats, and the Mountain West and Great Plains (that hilarious shape of states that go around Colorado and would likely be the last holdouts ... think the first to abandon FDR in the inland) for the GOP, as has been the case since FDR.
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »

California for the Dems.

Pre-Trump nomination, it would be Texas for the GOP. Now, I believe it would be Indiana.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 06:49:04 PM »

Kansas for the Republicans. The state was born in the same tumult as the GOP in the 1850s, and since then, it has been one of the most reliable Republican states. It was Alf Landon's home state, Dwight Eisenhower's home state, and "we're not in Kansas anymore" brings to mind leaving the epitome of white bread middle American farm country to any place unknown or mysterious.

New York for the Democrats. The party, the spoils system, and political machines were invented here in the early 19ty century. Outside the Confederacy, no one rioted harder against Lincoln than New Yorkers. The New Deal was invented here, and the New Deal realignment started here, too. Yes, California is diverse, but not as diverse as New York City, with its Italians and Jews and Blacks and Asians and Puerto Ricans and all else. This was always America's immigrant Mecca, it's Mos Eisley Cantina.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 08:01:01 PM »

GOP: Alabama. Just the right mix of PUMAs, Obama-->Trump voters, and Dole voters, combined with every county going for Trump in the GOP primary.

Dems: California, for obvious reasons. Massachusetts is just too White. Hawaii is too pro-Bernie.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »

Democrats: In the past would have said New York, as that is where establishment is stronger, future is California.

Republicans: Missouri(current median of all the factions), Indiana in the future.
bmeern
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.16, S: -5.48

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2017, 08:30:43 PM »

Democrats: California.

Republicans: I'm inclined to say that given the current state of the party, it would be Indiana, maybe Ohio but it's recent electoral record isn't as Republican as its neighbor. Pre-Trump, I would choose a Southern or Plains state such as Texas/Tennessee or Kansas/Wyoming.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2017, 08:31:43 PM »

Democrats: New York

Republicans: Oklahoma
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:23 PM »

Why is everyone choosing states either with so many registered Dems (Oklahoma; GOP registration only surpassed Dem in 2014 and it did not vote for Trump in the primary), states that did not go for Trump in the primary (Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas) and states that went for WJC or Barack Obama (Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia, Arkansas) as the heart and soul of the GOP? The heart and soul of the GOP should be a state that did not go Dem for at least a quarter of a century, that went for Trump in the primary, that trended Republican this year, and that has a reasonable number of WJC92-Trump and HRC08-Trump voters. Alabama fits all the check boxes.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 09:30:50 PM »

Democrats: Massachusetts (easy)
Republicans: Utah....but probably more like Tennessee today
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 10:05:37 PM »

Why is everyone choosing states either with so many registered Dems (Oklahoma; GOP registration only surpassed Dem in 2014 and it did not vote for Trump in the primary), states that did not go for Trump in the primary (Idaho, Wyoming, Kansas) and states that went for WJC or Barack Obama (Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee, West Virginia, Arkansas) as the heart and soul of the GOP? The heart and soul of the GOP should be a state that did not go Dem for at least a quarter of a century, that went for Trump in the primary, that trended Republican this year, and that has a reasonable number of WJC92-Trump and HRC08-Trump voters. Alabama fits all the check boxes.

Trump isn't the entire GOP, friend.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:39 AM »

Trump isn't the entire GOP, friend.
For better or worse, he is now.

No, he's not.  He has an entire Congress and a plethora of GOP governors across the country to help him make up what it "means" to be a Republican.  If Trump puts forth anti-trade deals or a big infrastructure spending package, he won't be getting the votes he needs from his own party, he'll be getting crossover support.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 11:50:58 AM »

California is the obvious choice for the Democrats.  For the Republicans, it is more difficult, and I want to say Tennessee, but the answer is probably Alabama.  It can't be somewhere like West Virginia or Wyoming, as they are too rural for the ideological upscale conservative suburbs to exist (as they do in Alabama in places like Hoover).  All of the GOP coalition is represented well by Alabama.  Tennessee and South Carolina (adding in rich retirees, especially in SC) would be good choices as well.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »

Texas for the GOP.

California for the Democrats.

Most of the "ideas" that drive the respective parties have come from those states.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2017, 11:03:01 PM »

Hard to disagree with California for the Democrats, though Hawaii could be a strong contender.

For the Republicans, I have to consider several factors (well, same for Dems as well)
- Dominance in statewide elected offices and the state legislature
- Dominance in population centers across the state and in rural areas
- Control of Senate and House seats

Wyoming, Oklahoma, Utah, and Arkansas are at the top of my list.  They have no Democratic areas in the state (Tennessee has Nashville and Memphis, Missouri has St Louis and KC, West Virginia has a Democratic governor).

Of my top four, I will go with Utah as it is (I think) least likely to elect a Democrat statewide or to Congress.  Arkansas is strongly tending in this direction, but has fairly recently elected Democrats.  Wyoming, Tennessee, and Oklahoma have in the past dozen years elected Democratic governors and could do so again (though perhaps not likely).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies