Which state is the heart and soul of the Democratic/Republican Party? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which state is the heart and soul of the Democratic/Republican Party? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which state is the heart and soul of the Democratic/Republican Party?  (Read 11192 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 10, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »
« edited: January 10, 2017, 03:47:16 PM by Jacobin American »

California is, without question, the heart and soul of the Democratic Party. It's one of the most diverse and increasingly diversifying states; has a large liberal, college educated White population; its economy is dominated by industries and sectors that favor higher education and globalization; and it's both socially and economically liberal.

Maryland is the runner-up as it is a highly diverse state with a large, liberal, college educated White population and dominated by globalized industries and governmental agencies. It's not as socially liberal as California, but it is highly supportive of the federal government and globalization.

Choosing a single state for Republicans is difficult. During the Bush II years I would've chosen a Southern state, such as Texas. But today, under Trump, the party is more Rust Belt oriented. I'd say Indiana is the heart and soul of the present GOP. It's a de-industrialized state that has been negatively effected by globalization; socially conservative, but not fundamentalist; highly skeptical of coastal elite and outsiders; and composed largely of white, conservative, working class types.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 05:41:08 PM »

California is, without question, the heart and soul of the Democratic Party. It's one of the most diverse and increasingly diversifying states; has a large liberal, college educated White population; its economy is dominated by industries and sectors that favor higher education and globalization; and it's both socially and economically liberal.

Maryland is the runner-up as it is a highly diverse state with a large, liberal, college educated White population and dominated by globalized industries and governmental agencies. It's not as socially liberal as California, but it is highly supportive of the federal government and globalization.

Choosing a single state for Republicans is difficult. During the Bush II years I would've chosen a Southern state, such as Texas. But today, under Trump, the party is more Rust Belt oriented. I'd say Indiana is the heart and soul of the present GOP. It's a de-industrialized state that has been negatively effected by globalization; socially conservative, but not fundamentalist; highly skeptical of coastal elite and outsiders; and composed largely of white, conservative, working class types.

Agreed about Cali and Indiana.

I'd support Indiana, but not because it's SO "working class."  It's not like the college educated, wealthy professionals around Indianapolis aren't Republicans, too.

Well, of course. The WWC did shift significantly to the right for Trump in Indiana, but the upper middle class around Indianapolis (such as Hamilton County) are highly Republican as well. I should've included their conservative, upper middle class professionals as well. But all of that, when taken together, best describes the current GOP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies