Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:31:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23
Author Topic: Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018  (Read 83155 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »

I have zero sympathy for Bolsonaro. I consider him a dangerous and thoroughly evil individual and it would be hypocritical for me to be like "oh, how awful! He may be a fascist PoS, but I feel sorry for his suffering". At the same time I have to acknowledge trying to kill him wouldn't solve the problem he's representing. If anything, the attacker is a useful idiot for Bolsonaro and his allies, who must be very happy right now.

Hypocritical?

FFS guys, stop acting like "X is an awful person" and "X is a human being so I hope he isn't murdered" are mutually exclusive sentiments.

There's nothing hypocritical in opposing political murders while holding the subject in deepest contempt.

My second statement wasn't directed at you, I probably should have made that clear...

What I mean is, how is feeling sorry for a terrible person's suffering hypocritical?

OK, I misread you.

As of my post, I have to admit that I have problem mustering sympathy for him, but it doesn't mean I have wished him to suffer.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »

All the violent far-left keyboard warriors will be less happy when Bolsonaro inevitably becomes president and treats the far-left in the exact same way that they would treat him if they ever came to power, which they fortunately won't. I'll have a lechaim for Bolsonaro's speedy recovery and electoral success. Great poll.
BundouYMB

« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2018, 06:26:42 PM »

I think it would be for the best if everyone counted to ten and maybe took a little walk in the fresh air before pressing 'click' on any further Posts on this matter Smiley

Thanks Al. Wishing death on a living political figure or other poster is an absolute no-no on this site. Feel free to label them as HP, but don't go down the other road. I have cleaned up all the recent posts in this thread that crossed the line or quoted those posts that did.
 Political correctness gone mad. Posters will know my opinion of dictators, authoritarians and fascists - I do not support violence but I wish them pain in this world. This den of white supremacy and ultra-right sentiment would cleanse itself of anti-NSDAP sentiment if it existed in the 1930s. When President Bolsonaro destroys Brazilian democracy, I will know that I was in the right. The rest of you will come off as fools. As for the polling, we know that violence is not only wrong but also strategically stupid - not surprising. Hope this is a lesson for idiots who applaud violence. Still, I wish Bolsonaro nothing but the worst. Smiley

That won't happen.

What deluded little world are you living in? He has all but promised to be the next Adolf Hitler. He openly cheers on military dictatorships and genocide. Wake the f**k up.
EPG
« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2018, 07:02:17 PM »

All the violent far-left keyboard warriors will be less happy when Bolsonaro inevitably becomes president and treats the far-left in the exact same way that they would treat him if they ever came to power, which they fortunately won't. I'll have a lechaim for Bolsonaro's speedy recovery and electoral success. Great poll.

What exactly do you mean? You are wishing him health so that he guns down people in a country where that is tragically common? Is this forum designed to host far-right hate speech, or did it just end up this way?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2018, 07:07:27 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2018, 07:10:34 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

The PT was in power for over a decade and there were no death squads, there was no torture. As I recall, it was Bolsonaro who celebrated Dilma being tortured, when he was protected by the Brazilian state. This speaks to the reasons why so many are horrified by him - he represents a vile bloodlust against elements in society who aren't violent in the slightest.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2018, 07:14:05 PM »

"stfu libtards or bolsonaro will kill you"
"also, go bolsonaro"
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2018, 10:21:52 PM »

My dude, the left was in power for over a decade. Was Bolsonaro ever persecuted then?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2018, 05:36:11 AM »

My dude, the left was in power for over a decade. Was Bolsonaro ever persecuted then?

By keyboard warriors, I presume he means the folks on Atlas wishing Bolsonaro's death.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2018, 12:51:50 PM »

By keyboard warriors, I presume he means the folks on Atlas wishing Bolsonaro's death.

But how was Bolsonaro treated when the left was in power? Lula’s not a keyboard warrior.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2018, 03:56:45 PM »

Word has it Lula’s dropping out, letting Haddad be the PT candidate.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2018, 04:38:52 PM »

It’s an open secret that the PT’s candidates will be Haddad (ugh) and Manuela d’Ávila, former congresswoman, member of the PCdoB (who are allying with the PT) and most attractive politician in the world.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2018, 04:50:36 PM »

But how was Bolsonaro treated when the left was in power? Lula’s not a keyboard warrior.

He's not talking about Lula
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2018, 05:13:10 PM »

Ibope poll

https://g1.globo.com/politica/eleicoes/2018/noticia/2018/09/11/pesquisa-ibope-bolsonaro-26-ciro-11-marina-9-alckmin-9-haddad-8.ghtml?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=g1

Bolsonaro  26 (+4)
Gomes   11 (-1)
Silva 9 (-3)
Alckmin 9 (--)
Haddad  8 (+2)

In a runoff, poll shows Bolsonaro would beat Haddad (40% to 36%), lose to Gomes (37% to 40%) and Alckmin (37% to 38%), and tie w/ Silva at 38%

Bolsonaro’s rejection rating fell to 41% from 44%

RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #163 on: September 12, 2018, 09:33:38 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2018, 11:19:22 AM by RodPresident »

Alckmin had bad news in last two days...
Parana's former governor and senate candidate Beto Richa (PSDB) was arrested along his wife Fernanda Richa for commanding a bribery scheme by state justice. Car Wash also ordered investigations on him. Along him, his brother was arrested and billionaire Joel Malucelli who is also suplente to presidential candidate Alvaro Dias. Malucelli is father-in-law to governor candidate Joao Arruda (PMDB). But Richa has more deep links to another two governorship candidates who are governor Cida Borghetti who was his lieutenant governor and Carlos Massa "Ratinho" Junior (PSD), son of famous TV host Ratinho (Brazilian's Jerry Springer) who was secretary in his cabinet. Many people say that Car Wash wants Richa arrested to show isention and that  Moro's wife is very linked to senatorial candidate Flavio Arns (Rede) who was Richa's running mate in first term.
In Mato Grosso do Sul, governor Azambuja (PSDB) was today target of investigation. His son was arrested as political allies. He was implied in Batista's brothers plea bargain as he was receiving bribes from cattle selling.
In Rio Grande do Sul, home state of Alckmin's running mate, Ana Amelia (PP), her own party is deserting her. Senate candidate Luis Carlos Heinze (PP) announced that he's endorsing Bolsonaro. RS PP is historically conservative and was going to support fully Bolsonaro, but Ana Amelia's nomination stopped it. And they resent Ana Amelia's endorsement of Manuela Davila (now Haddad's running-mate) in 2012 local election.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #164 on: September 13, 2018, 02:29:43 AM »

But Richa has more deep links to another two governorship candidates who are governor Cida Borghetti who was his lieutenant governor and Carlos Massa "Ratinho" Junior (PSD), son of famous TV host Ratinho (Brazilian's Jerry Springer) who was secretary in his cabinet. Many people say that Car Wash wants Richa arrested to show isention and that

The end of that sentence seems to be missing and isention isn't a word.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2018, 05:30:52 AM »

We've heard a lot about the Presidential election. How's the legislative  election shaping up?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: September 14, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »

XP/Ipespe poll

Bolsonaro   26 (+3)
Gomes   12 (+1)
Haddad 10 (+2)
Silva 8 (-3)
Alckmin 9 (---)

If Haddad as being endorsed by Lula then it is

Bolsonaro   23
Haddad 16
Gomes  11
Alckmin 9
Silva 6

Runoff

Haddad 28% vs 38% Alckmin
Bolsonaro 36% vs 37% Alckmin
Marina Silva 37% vs 36% Bolsonaro
Gomes and Alckmin 35%
Gomes 40% vs 35% Bolsonaro
Haddad 38% vs 40% Bolsonaro

I was really hoping for Bolsonaro vs Alckmin second round but that was never likely and seems pretty much out of reach now
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #167 on: September 14, 2018, 01:22:18 PM »

Will Lula’s support of Haddad reach enough of the voting public to put him over Gomes?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #168 on: September 14, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2018, 05:20:51 PM by jaichind »

Datafolha

Bolsonaro   26 (+2)
Haddad 13 (+4)
Gomes  13 (---)
Alckmin 9 (-1)
Silva 8 (-3)

In a runoff, poll shows Bolsonaro trailing Gomes, Silva and Alckmin; ahead of Haddad 41% to 40%
Bolsonaro’s rejection rating rose to 44% from 43%, the highest among all candidates; Haddad’s rose to 26% from 22%
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #169 on: September 14, 2018, 10:02:18 PM »

Brazilian leftists/anyone knowledgeable of Brazil, who is generally considered the "better" candidate of Haddad/Gomes, whether ideologically or in terms of personal record corruption? What are their main differences (if any)? I'm not very well-educated on Brazil's myriad parties
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #170 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:01 PM »

What did Silva do/say to lose so much support?
seb_pard
« Reply #171 on: September 14, 2018, 10:45:21 PM »

From what I understand, Gomes and Haddad are pretty similar and both are running under similar platforms. From what I know both are clean, although PT (Haddad's party) had a trouble history with corruption, unlike PDT, although PT is much bigger. Many of the Brazilians that I know like both and were going to vote to the one that has the highest chance to get into the runoff. I listened that Gomes did really good in the debates but once the campaign started Haddad started to do well (unlike Gomez, he isn't known in the Northeast, which is where the left is stronger).

Also both are running under a leftist platform, although is expected that once elected they could moderate their stances. Many (painful) fiscal reforms are needed in Brazil and I think that they understand that.

Marina is basically plain vanilla, she is not exciting, and she has a long history of flip-floping from what I heard.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2018, 02:51:46 AM »

Why is Gomes consistently doing better in the run-off polls than Haddad? Is it simply a matter of PT being tainted by corruption or are there other factors at work?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2018, 11:59:04 AM »

I don't think this has been posted, but, for a bit of fun and relax, here's the election broadcast for each of the candidates running for president: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYqrumJx6Y

My favourite, Bousos PSOL candidate: "Hi, everybody! Let's speak the truth, this is all BS. Time is unequal. Alckmin will have a bunch of time to only say garbage. Let's go to the internet, i am waiting for you". Cheesy Cheesy Love it

And also, the electoral broadcast for federal house candidates (from Rio de Janeiro state): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbGUkJQY-oo

My favourite, so good ones but i guess this one: Juan Carlos 2345 -"I'm the youngest candidate for the federal house, i have been preparing for this my whole life." Cheesy Priceless.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2018, 02:07:12 PM »

Wow, watching the presidential ads really shows how unequal the time is. While some candidates get barely a few seconds, Alckmin and Haddad get a ton of time (and I assume Haddad would get even more if his coalition was broader, he seems to have lost several allies compared to 2014).

As for the Congressional ones, they are quite small, particularly for small parties! Some barely have enough time to say their name!

Finally, what's with the 2 digit codes for presidential candidates and 4 digit codes for house candidates? What are they used for?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies