Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 12:07:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Author Topic: Brazil Presidential and Congressional Elections 2018  (Read 83157 times)
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: October 06, 2018, 12:23:45 PM »

MDA/CNT poll

Bolsonaro   36.7 (+8.5)
Haddad       24.0 (-1.2)
Gomes         9.9  (-0.9)
Alckmin        5.8  (-0.3)

Runoff Bolsonaro 45.2 (+6.2) vs Haddad 38.7 (+3.0)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #226 on: October 06, 2018, 01:36:17 PM »

MDA/CNT poll

Bolsonaro   36.7 (+8.5)
Haddad       24.0 (-1.2)
Gomes         9.9  (-0.9)
Alckmin        5.8  (-0.3)

Runoff Bolsonaro 45.2 (+6.2) vs Haddad 38.7 (+3.0)

Oh man ... Roll Eyes

Hopefully the Brazilians are smarter than that and reject this tool Bolsonaro in the runoff.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2018, 07:01:10 PM »

A Datafolha and two Ibope polls about the presidential election will still be released today if I'm not mistaken.

Datafollha poll (conducted between 4-6 October; Polled 19,552 voters)

Valid votes:

40% Bolsonaro
25% Haddad
15% Ciro
  8% Alckmin
  3% Silva
  3% Amoędo
  2% Dias
  2% Meirelles
  1% Daciolo
  1% Boulos
  0% Lúcia
  0% Goulart Filho
  0% Eymael

Ibope poll (conducted between 5-6 October; Polled 3,010 voters)

Valid votes:

41% Bolsonaro
25% Haddad
13% Ciro
  8% Alckmin
  3% Amoędo
  3% Silva
  2% Dias
  2% Daciolo
  2% Meirelles
  1% Boulos
  0% Lúcia
  0% Goulart Filho
  0% Eymael
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2018, 08:39:11 PM »

Why has Bolsonaro increased of reciently? Also, it seems he is the favourite to win the runoff now? RIP democratic Brazil Sad
Hydera

« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2018, 11:37:20 PM »

Why has Bolsonaro increased of reciently? Also, it seems he is the favourite to win the runoff now? RIP democratic Brazil Sad

He is the anti PT candidate, many middle and upper class voters that don't want Haddad to be president are but weren't voting for him now are because he has the best chance to defeat Haddad. The anti PT movement in Brazil is still very strong.

Also Haddad is pretty much Brazil's Clinton. When he was mayor of Săo Paulo he agreed to hikes in public transport fares that caused a huge protest movement. So it figures why a lot of harder left voters might stay out.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #230 on: October 07, 2018, 06:42:50 AM »

Looks like ex-Prez Dilma Rousseff and Bolsonaro's son Flavio will both be on he ballot for Senate.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2018, 07:20:01 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2018, 07:34:19 AM by Mike88 »

Polls have also opened in Portugal in order for the 40,000 registered Brazilian voters to cast their ballots. It will be interesting to see who win here. I believe Dilma won in Portugal in both 2010 and 2014, but since then there has been a huge influx of high middle class or upper class Brazilian who have come to live in Portugal. These voters could be more Bolsonaro leaning.

In the Portuguese community in Brazil, around 160,000 people, the president of the of the permanent council of Portuguese communities abroad, Flávio Martins, said that around 80% of the Portuguese community in Brazil will vote for Bolsonaro. He added that many Portuguese living in Brazil have been actively campaigning for Bolsonaro.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »

Two new polls from yesterday:

Instituto Veritá poll (Conducted between 2 and 5 October; Polled 5,208 voters; MoE of 2%)

Valid votes:

51.2% Bolsonaro
23.2% Haddad
10.4% Gomes
  5.2% Alckimin
  3.6% Amoędo
  1.7% Silva
  1.2% Dias
  1.2% Daciolo
  1.0% Meirelles
  0.9% Boulos
  0.3% Eymael
  0.1% Lúcia
  0.1% Goulart Filho

Vox Populi/Brasil 247 poll (Conducted between on 6 October; Polled 2,000 voters; MoE of 2.2%)

Valid votes:

40% Bolsonaro
31% Haddad
11% Gomes
  5% Alckimin
  2% Marina
  1% Amoędo
  1% Meirelles
  1% Daciolo
  1% Dias
  1% Boulos  

How reliable is Instituto Veritá? It's the only poll putting Bolsonaro above 50%.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2018, 09:13:22 AM »

Go Bolsonaro !!!  Hope he wins on the first round even if that seems unlikely.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »

Why anyone who is not Brasilian would like to suport that human garbage? Because I understand that many Brazilians have some resentiment towards PT, they feel that they need change etc. and they have some particular interest like big farms owners or protestants. But foreigners?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #235 on: October 07, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »

Go Bolsonaro !!!  Hope he wins on the first round even if that seems unlikely.
Why anyone who is not Brasilian would like to suport that human garbage? Because I understand that many Brazilians have some resentiment towards PT, they feel that they need change etc. and they have some particular interest like big farms owners or protestants. But foreigners?
Because not everyone has the same values as you? Rooting for Bolsonaro too.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #236 on: October 07, 2018, 10:16:10 AM »

I was about to say wealthy foreign investors who want some juicy free market policies when I realized that's exactly the category Jaichind falls in. Seriously, the financial markets probably want Bolsonaro (since they can't get Alckmin). I don't get why you'd trust Bolsonaro for that though. Trump atleast had Ryan and McConnell, Bolsonaro has a history of voting against pension reforms and privatizations. Meanwhile Haddad probably is not that bad economically (though I'd personally prefer to keep the PT outside government, iirc Haddad wants to abolish Temer's labour reforms).

Personally I still don't know whom to back tbh. I don't take Bolsonaro's outrageous comments that seriously, but they're still worrisome. I'd probably just abstain. Though I'm pretty sure hypothetical Brazilian me would eventually end up supporting Bolsonaro.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #237 on: October 07, 2018, 10:27:42 AM »

How reliable is Instituto Veritá? It's the only poll putting Bolsonaro above 50%.

I've never heard about it, it doesn't seem very reliable.

I thought so. It's a bit of a "rouge poll". However, looking back to polling in Brazilian elections, since 1994, there seems to be a tendency of underpolling PSDB, or other right-wing parties/candidates. That could mean two things: Alckimin could be heavily underestimated and could surprise today, or it is Bolsonaro himself that is a bit underpolled. We'll see.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #238 on: October 07, 2018, 10:56:08 AM »

Polls have also opened in Portugal in order for the 40,000 registered Brazilian voters to cast their ballots. It will be interesting to see who win here. I believe Dilma won in Portugal in both 2010 and 2014, but since then there has been a huge influx of high middle class or upper class Brazilian who have come to live in Portugal. These voters could be more Bolsonaro leaning.

In the Portuguese community in Brazil, around 160,000 people, the president of the of the permanent council of Portuguese communities abroad, Flávio Martins, said that around 80% of the Portuguese community in Brazil will vote for Bolsonaro. He added that many Portuguese living in Brazil have been actively campaigning for Bolsonaro.

Very interesting, thanks.
Double Carpet
Rookie
« Reply #239 on: October 07, 2018, 11:23:57 AM »

Hi all,

Does anybody have a live TV link that isn't geoblocked?

Thanks!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2018, 11:29:27 AM »

I assume that exit polls for a lot of non-Prez races will come out at 4pm EST while the Prez exit polls come out 6pm EST and 80% of the Prez vote counted due to parts of Western Brazil being on different time zones.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #241 on: October 07, 2018, 11:47:35 AM »

I was about to say wealthy foreign investors who want some juicy free market policies when I realized that's exactly the category Jaichind falls in. Seriously, the financial markets probably want Bolsonaro (since they can't get Alckmin). I don't get why you'd trust Bolsonaro for that though. Trump atleast had Ryan and McConnell, Bolsonaro has a history of voting against pension reforms and privatizations. Meanwhile Haddad probably is not that bad economically (though I'd personally prefer to keep the PT outside government, iirc Haddad wants to abolish Temer's labour reforms).

Personally I still don't know whom to back tbh. I don't take Bolsonaro's outrageous comments that seriously, but they're still worrisome. I'd probably just abstain. Though I'm pretty sure hypothetical Brazilian me would eventually end up supporting Bolsonaro.

Bolsonaro already admitted he doesn't understand economic stuff so he will likely give his economic adviser (and his minister of the economy if he wins), Paulo Guedes, a considerable amount of power over this issues during his administration and Guedes has economic views that are very right wing and pro free market.

I know that, but how long will Guedes last? And even if Bolsonaro really wants to push through economic reforms despite possible protests, he still needs to get the parliament on board which could be hard since Bolsonaro is an anti-establishment candidate. Anyway, what will the right-wing parties do when Bolsonaro is president? Will PSDB and similar parties support his agenda?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #242 on: October 07, 2018, 12:40:06 PM »

Its not the question of values but normal humanism and respect for basic, universal morality. Bolsonaro is just a bad human being, what he confirmed in many statements and actions.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #243 on: October 07, 2018, 02:12:45 PM »

From AP

"Brazil's Superior Electoral Court says that at least 300 electronic voting machines were malfunctioning and have been replaced."

"Fernando Haddad, who is running in second place, voted in Sao Paulo.

Brazilians in nearby buildings beat on pots to show their disapproval when he spoke afterward.

While the pots were banging, Haddad's supporters chanted that he would be president, making it impossible to hear what the candidate said."
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #244 on: October 07, 2018, 02:47:27 PM »

I think I would vote Amoedo first round then enthusiastically back Bolsonaro second round.
Would vote Democrats or PSL in Congressionals.  Most rightward viable options as always.
The number of parties makes my head spin. Tongue
Double Carpet
Rookie
« Reply #245 on: October 07, 2018, 03:05:40 PM »

When do the last 6 close and when are the first presidential exit polls out?

Thanks!
Double Carpet
Rookie
« Reply #246 on: October 07, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »

Ah thanks that's great! - I'm guessing the last state is Acre and then we'll get pres exits at 11pm UK time? (6pm EST)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #247 on: October 07, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »

Of course, Dave. Never change.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #248 on: October 07, 2018, 03:13:51 PM »

Any exit polls for the presidential race?

I voted Bolsonaro (would have voted Amoędo but he doesn't have a chance) for president, Romeu Zema for governor, Rodrigo Paiva and Rodrigo Pacheco for senate, Tiago Mitraud for federal deputy and Bernardo Bartolomeu for state deputy.

The polls will close in some minutes and exit polls wil come soon.
Nice!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #249 on: October 07, 2018, 03:14:22 PM »

Wow. What a disasterous number for Rousseff
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to: