Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:57:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 112823 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: June 04, 2017, 01:36:52 PM »
« edited: June 04, 2017, 02:20:37 PM by Solitude Without a Window »

Honestly, I agree. Tongue
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1126 on: June 04, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know who I am anymore.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1127 on: June 04, 2017, 01:46:02 PM »

It's too hot in Wisconsin! I need to go further north. Cry
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1128 on: June 04, 2017, 02:00:22 PM »

It's too hot in Wisconsin! I need to go further north. Cry

Wississippi. Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1129 on: June 04, 2017, 02:22:11 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know who I am and knowing it's even worse.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1130 on: June 04, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know who I am and knowing it's even worse.

Well at least y'all have consistency on that.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1131 on: June 04, 2017, 04:45:38 PM »

Thinking of starting a family Smiley Exploring options.

How exciting! Good luck Smiley
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1132 on: June 04, 2017, 08:47:53 PM »

Some more goodies:

My personal favorite/type (link only because SWEARS)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1133 on: June 04, 2017, 11:22:30 PM »

Accidentally told familysearch I'm my own grandma.
There's a good Willie Nelson song I have to recommend.

I have a ton of good Willie songs to recommend on many topics....

Still stoked watching him play live in South Bay (NorCal) some five years back.

Not quite sure what song you are recommending to Peebs, but Willie is definitely one of the few remaining singer-songwriters alive, that can add a musical voice to just about any life experience.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1134 on: June 04, 2017, 11:26:04 PM »

Scott--- have you been smoking again? Wink

Actually, found your Sinn Fein link quite amusing even as a supporter of the Republican Movement in the Occupied Six Counties of Northern Ireland.... Smiley
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1135 on: June 05, 2017, 12:32:19 AM »

So ran across the Street to the convenience store to grab my cigs before my shift starts early AM, and one of the regular guys on that shift who I see everyday was on break, while my other regular "Clerk" is running the counter.

I got time to spare, since my Wife is working Grave, and we have a cig and chat for a few.

Jason's working two jobs, and his Wife one job to support their three kids.

As many times before, we starting chatting about what is wrong with America these days, where we all get paid crap wages, and can barely afford to pay our bills on a working person's wages.

So, next thing you know , he brings up that "Trumps says he's going to bring jobs back to America" with higher wages.... Said, hey--- I'm more of a Bernie man myself, but both Democratic and Republican Presidents alike have been screwing over working-class Americans for decades. He said "I'm not a big Trump fan although I voted for him".   

The City in Oregon where we live, is basically a Blue Collar Mill Town, where housing prices have shot through the roof in the past three years, but the wages have not....

This is the recurring story that I hear on a daily basis in my current Warehouse working environment....

I don't know if we will be successful in Unionizing a 550 employee Warehouse against an MNC and one of the largest retailers in both the United States and Globally.

What I do know and found out just today from one of the oldest Veterans (Long Term direct employees) at the Plant. is that the Managers are paid bonuses on the basis of production levels.

I had previously assumed that the unrealistic production targets were based solely on recent College Grads (23-28/Yrs Old) trying to boost their corporate careers, and now I know that while we face multiple medical issues as a result of the Warehouse environment, the push towards production levels also creates a Financial incentive on these young Warehouse Managers.

Why don't they share the "Production Bonus" for those of us actually busting our asses every day? (This came from a 5+ Year Veteran of the Warehouse who gets paid pretty decently)

It's on, difficulty is how to bring it into a Facility with Multiple shifts and Business Units with few overlaps....

So throw in the typical grievances of Warehouse Workers across the United States, that effectively is the closest thing to "Piece Rate" style of Business Management, add in an overwhelmingly Millennial workforce, throw in the "Oldest Veterans" in the Plant, that see how all of the bonuses go only to Management and none to the rest of us, mix in all of the safety issues and workplace injuries, and voila, there is plenty of gasoline on the Ground.

We all know we're being screwed over.... but while the Operation Managers are getting massive bonuses, and using fictional "Production Levels" to line their own pockets, when these young kids are clearing major $$$ right out of college (And I know as someone who actually was a Manager in Corp America), this is definitely something that should resonate very well down the Line, since this information came from someone who has worked both sides of the Plant and multiple shifts and is basically "maxed out" on compensation, other than their fictional annual COLA.

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1136 on: June 05, 2017, 03:30:52 PM »

I just got hired at my school's Job Fair at Potbelly's! They hired and promoted me to shift-leader on the spot! I start Friday! Woot woot!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1137 on: June 05, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »

I just got hired at my school's Job Fair at Potbelly's! They hired and promoted me to shift-leader on the spot! I start Friday! Woot woot!

At least someone on this forum has a job!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1138 on: June 05, 2017, 05:33:04 PM »

I feel triggered.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1139 on: June 05, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »

Fasting has been hard on me today, and it's day 10. I forgot to eat Suhour (essentially breakfast) as a woke up too late and woke up during fasting time (I woke up at 5:47 am) so it made work hell today.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1140 on: June 06, 2017, 01:50:27 AM »

So, my employment was terminated today....

These things always tend to happen at the end of the day on "Fridays", so when the Operations Manager came asking if I want "Voluntary Early Leave" right before and all employee meeting for Weekend shift, and says she wants to meet me afterwards, before I clocked out, I suspected that there was an ulterior motive going on.

Hell, only a few years back I had a team of (100) direct reports in Tejas and was known as "The People's Boss" in the Spanish Language, and am wise to the bosses ways as both a rank-and-file worker for much of my life, and then later a skilled professional promoted into management, and most recently working in one of the most exploited industries in the American workplace--- Warehouse Workers.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/02/mac-mcclelland-free-online-shipping-warehouses-labor

http://www.motherjones.com/rights-stuff/2011/07/ohio-warehouse-temps-unemployment

Although this story is not my story, the fundamentals are extremely similar within the industry

Unfortunately, we now have an economy based upon the backs of Warehouse workers throughout America, where most of us have no idea of the actual labor involved, the systematic workplace injuries, the massive bonuses and profits that these companies gain, within an extremely oppressive workplace environment where every scan-in and scan-off with your wrist mounted unit is generating all types of metrics and data that these kids right out of college use to perform the experiments on "us lab rats".

So, next time you place an order through Target.Com, Walmart.Com, or Amazon.Com (That has a slightly better rep within the industry from what I have heard thus far), think of how the warehousing industry has become one of the most repressive workplace environments in America.

Anyways---- although I will be actively seeking alternative employment, I in no way shape or form am giving up on the struggle to Unionize this Shop...

It might actually well inspire others on my shop floor, since almost all of us know their "management strategy" in the Warehouse isn't doing right by the rest of us.

There's an old Folk song from way back in the days, when my Grandparents Generation finally created the AFL-CIO during the Great Depression.

It's called "Union Burying Ground" by Woody Guthrie, one of Americas many heroic artists of the 1930s, who spoke truth to power at a time, where most Americans had lost hope in the ability of our Great Nation to recover from the trauma of the Great Depression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuzbX6pfY-c

Now meanwhile this is the attitudes and opinons of the vast majority of workers 35+ (25% of the workforce). Johnny Paycheck "Take this Job and Shove It"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj2iGAifSNI

The Millennials are obviously the Wild Cards in the bunch.... in the plant most of them have piercing and Tats, and because of a Generational difference, it's more difficult to have a feel for how they view a Union Shop.

Now, it should be noted that although Trump won Albany Oregon by 7%, he captured less than 50% of the total Vote.... This is not a college town, but an Oregon Mill Town that is overhwlmingly Anlgo...

So, if we put that in the pipe and smoke it for a minute, clearly Millennials in Albany voted heavily Clinton with a number of 3rd Party defections.

Although the Millennials are the Wild Cards, when it comes to signing Union Cards, I suspect that despite their lack of backfriund and experience working in a Union environment, that we'll still be able to get 50% +1, and possibly even 60%, depending upon how hard the employer tries to push rank-and-file with the typical Union Busting PR videos and all that crap they typically show.

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1141 on: June 06, 2017, 02:03:48 AM »

Is it cause for concern that the one kind of beer I've found that I like is not only a Mexican pilsner, but a generally really poorly-reviewed Mexican pilsner?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1142 on: June 06, 2017, 05:27:06 AM »

Parks interview today. I'm leaving work after 10 to shower and head back to Oakland County. I once landed a parks gig (didn't take it) at a level or two below this while wearing a flannel shirt and blue jeans with work boots, so I'm not terribly concerned about my dress, but I'll still wear an uniformed shirt and my faded slacks. The fact that it's irregular hours kind of makes it slightly more appealing (though I wasn't particularly attracted to the job in the first place) simply because it would allow me to keep my current job in some capacity.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1143 on: June 06, 2017, 10:07:42 AM »

Clocked out waaaaay too early to go to this interview. Stuck to chill in my room for at least another half hour.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1144 on: June 06, 2017, 12:05:27 PM »

Well, three more days until I get paid, and I'm already running out of coffee.

F**k this s**t.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1145 on: June 06, 2017, 03:54:46 PM »

Well, three more days until I get paid, and I'm already running out of coffee.

F**k this s**t.

Feel ya there, brother.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1146 on: June 06, 2017, 04:14:38 PM »

Seeing Al Franken in an hour for a book talk, anyone got a good question I should ask?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1147 on: June 06, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »

Seeing Al Franken in an hour for a book talk, anyone got a good question I should ask?

"Senator, is it true West Minnesota is more conservative economically while East Minnesota is more conservative socially?"
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1148 on: June 06, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »

Tell him a Minnesotan wonders if he had to choose:  Lutefisk pie or Orange Trump Surprise Jell-O Salad?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1149 on: June 06, 2017, 07:52:54 PM »

Tell him "wood 'n hay 'kin burn 'real easy." He'll know what it means Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies