Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:52:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 79
Author Topic: Update for Everyone V: Born Under A Bad Sign  (Read 112782 times)
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1275 on: June 22, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »

I got all A's this year, so I'm pretty happy!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1276 on: June 22, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »

I got all A's this year, so I'm pretty happy!
Ditto for me last semester, but I'm starting again on Tuesday and I'm not looking forward to it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1277 on: June 22, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »

Our years-long tradition of stealing pizza from freshman orientation may have ended.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1278 on: June 22, 2017, 11:19:13 PM »

Went knocking door to door today to get Democrats registered for next year. Folks who have been paying any kind of attention to politics were all demoralized after Ossof and every single special election going to the GOP (plus all of last year to boot). I guess I'll wait when morale is back up.

These special elections being hyped up constantly by the Democratic Party only to end up going 0-6 does affect their base. Even when I reminded them that these races have all swung to the Democrats, it just rang hollow to all of them. A few people, Democrat and apolitical, also felt like the Democrats had no message that spoke to them.

We have work to do. And the current trajectory of the Party isn't working for people.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1279 on: June 23, 2017, 10:07:41 AM »

Went knocking door to door today to get Democrats registered for next year. Folks who have been paying any kind of attention to politics were all demoralized after Ossof and every single special election going to the GOP (plus all of last year to boot). I guess I'll wait when morale is back up.

These special elections being hyped up constantly by the Democratic Party only to end up going 0-6 does affect their base. Even when I reminded them that these races have all swung to the Democrats, it just rang hollow to all of them. A few people, Democrat and apolitical, also felt like the Democrats had no message that spoke to them.

We have work to do. And the current trajectory of the Party isn't working for people.

Basically we made a mistake by nationalizing GA-06. Do remember that this special election record isn't unusual. It happened before 2010 and 2006. Try reminding people that the 2006 democratic wave was preceded by this kind of loss. IIRC the wave environment of 2006 didn't manifest until late 2005.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1280 on: June 23, 2017, 10:23:42 AM »

Basically we made a mistake by nationalizing GA-06. Do remember that this special election record isn't unusual. It happened before 2010 and 2006. Try reminding people that the 2006 democratic wave was preceded by this kind of loss. IIRC the wave environment of 2006 didn't manifest until late 2005.

I did remind them that these races have all swung on average nearly 10 points (it's closer to 8 I think) for the Democrats. All of this is still meaningless if people are still telling you that the Democrats don't have any coherent message that speaks to them. And if you tune into any major media outlet today, the Democrats haven't really been pushing anything beyond the Russia investigation and hyping centrist candidates like Ossoff in races that they're highly unlikely to win anyhow.

Say what you want about populists like Sanders and Trump, at least they had messages that resonated wth everyday people. That's why when Democratic Party operatives did an analysis of Obama-Trump voters they found out that these voters saw congressional Democrats as representing the interests of the wealthy far more than Trump did; and even a tiny bit more than congressional Republicans.

If we don't shed the image of being a bunch of rich technocrats with no inspiring message then people will have absolutely no reason to vote for us beyond "Trump sucks" and that doesn't make for a lasting coalition when we take back power (compare 2008 to 2010). I also don't think it's smart to follow the Tea Party strategy of just running solely against President Trump the way they ran against President Obama; the Democratic base is very different than the Republican base and swing voters vote for Democrats on bread and butter issues; not obstruction.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1281 on: June 23, 2017, 11:56:32 AM »

I did remind them that these races have all swung on average nearly 10 points (it's closer to 8 I think) for the Democrats. All of this is still meaningless if people are still telling you that the Democrats don't have any coherent message that speaks to them. And if you tune into any major media outlet today, the Democrats haven't really been pushing anything beyond the Russia investigation and hyping centrist candidates like Ossoff in races that they're highly unlikely to win anyhow.

Say what you want about populists like Sanders and Trump, at least they had messages that resonated wth everyday people. That's why when Democratic Party operatives did an analysis of Obama-Trump voters they found out that these voters saw congressional Democrats as representing the interests of the wealthy far more than Trump did; and even a tiny bit more than congressional Republicans.

If we don't shed the image of being a bunch of rich technocrats with no inspiring message then people will have absolutely no reason to vote for us beyond "Trump sucks" and that doesn't make for a lasting coalition when we take back power (compare 2008 to 2010). I also don't think it's smart to follow the Tea Party strategy of just running solely against President Trump the way they ran against President Obama; the Democratic base is very different than the Republican base and swing voters vote for Democrats on bread and butter issues; not obstruction.

The problem had literally nothing to do with muh technocrats, it was Ossoff losing that demoralized them. You said as much yourself. I said to tell them that the special elections looked like this in 2005, before the giant 2006 wave. That would be a hell of a lot more effective at convincing non atlas peeps then "10 point swing".

The analysis you cited was A. obviously agenda based, and B.studied only 2 states. It didn't address whether Obama Trumpers switched because of a perception of democrats favoring the wealthy, or if partisanship led these voters to say yes to the question that made democrats (which opposed trump) look bad. Also remember that a decent chunk of these people likely voted for bush.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1282 on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »

i have finals
i'm also being social for once
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1283 on: June 23, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »

Went knocking door to door today to get Democrats registered for next year.

Is that even necessary anymore? With California adopting both automatic registration and same-day registration (although I think that operates with provisional ballots at first), I'd think that actually canvassing to register people would be a waste of time given how many of those people will likely be registered by the time voting starts in 2018.

A few people, Democrat and apolitical, also felt like the Democrats had no message that spoke to them.

I wonder how many of these people actually think that, and are not just parroting what they hear about the party. Don't get me wrong, I think the party does lack an official overall theme that is easy to remember for the average voter, and it is definitely still struggling to break away from the moderate faction whose desire to straddle the center more closely blurs what the party stands for, but if you look at the policy agenda of the party, it's not hard to see what the Democratic Party stands for.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1284 on: June 23, 2017, 01:58:23 PM »

The problem had literally nothing to do with muh technocrats, it was Ossoff losing that demoralized them. You said as much yourself. I said to tell them that the special elections looked like this in 2005, before the giant 2006 wave. That would be a hell of a lot more effective at convincing non atlas peeps then "10 point point swing.".

The analysis you cited was A. obviously agenda based, and B.studied only 2 states. It didn't address whether Obama Trumpers switched because of a perception of democrats favoring the wealthy, or if partisanship led these voters to say yes to the question that made democrats (which opposed trump) look bad. Also remember that a decent chunk of these people likely voted for bush.

I really see no point in regurgitating the same points I've made to you countless times. But here it goes yet again: I live in exactly the kind of sunbelt Romney-Clinton suburban affluent district that has diversified over the years. You know, the kind that people like you constantly harp about being the future of the Party.

These voters will not vote for anybody to the Left of Jon Ossoff. The inevitable Democratic candidate here, Harley Rouda, is running the same exact Ossoff strategy (pushing for a balanced budget, keeping the ACA with no desire for single payer, not a single mention of taxing the wealthy, etc.). The DCCC is literally banking on these kind of lifelong Republican voters to flip even though they have little to no interest in ever voting for a Democrat to go to D.C. to represent the agenda of *gasp* Nancy Pelosi. Oh and never mind the fact that this centrist style platform isn't gonna excite nearly enough Democrats to overcome the deficit here either (The GOP candidate, Rohrabacher, won by 17 points in 2016). The whole point of this campaign, (which even volunteers at the training session told me they were interested in) wasn't necessarily to win here but at least build Party infrastructure in place for future elections down the line.

2018 is ultimately gonna come down to if we have a business cycle recession or not. Every Democratic wave in the Reagan era (1980-now) comes from an economic decline while the GOP is in power for a reason. If there's no recession, we're not taking back the House.

Virginia,

We have a few objectives:
1. Get people registered as Democrats; not Republicans.
2. Make sure people register to have a sample ballot or mail in vote. People are far more likely to vote if they see a sample ballot beforehand.
3. Convince mixed households (say a Democrat wife living win a Republican husband) to vote for the Democratic Party.
4. Gather data on which issues are most important to Democrats. So far it's been healthcare in my experience; NOT Russia.
5. Hand out Harley Rouda pamphlets and other campaign literature from his campaign.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1285 on: June 23, 2017, 03:40:48 PM »

The problem had literally nothing to do with muh technocrats, it was Ossoff losing that demoralized them. You said as much yourself. I said to tell them that the special elections looked like this in 2005, before the giant 2006 wave. That would be a hell of a lot more effective at convincing non atlas peeps then "10 point point swing.".

I really see no point in regurgitating the same points I've made to you countless times. But here it goes yet again: I live in exactly the kind of sunbelt Romney-Clinton suburban affluent district that has diversified over the years. You know, the kind that people like you constantly harp about being the future of the Party.

These voters will not vote for anybody to the Left of Jon Ossoff. The inevitable Democratic candidate here, Harley Rouda, is running the same exact Ossoff strategy (pushing for a balanced budget, keeping the ACA with no desire for single payer, not a single mention of taxing the wealthy, etc.). The DCCC is literally banking on these kind of lifelong Republican voters to flip even though they have little to no interest in ever voting for a Democrat to go to D.C. to represent the agenda of *gasp* Nancy Pelosi. Oh and never mind the fact that this centrist style platform isn't gonna excite nearly enough Democrats to overcome the deficit here either (The GOP candidate, Rohrabacher, won by 17 points in 2016). The whole point of this campaign, (which even volunteers at the training session told me they were interested in) wasn't necessarily to win here but at least build Party infrastructure in place for future elections down the line.

2018 is ultimately gonna come down to if we have a business cycle recession or not. Every Democratic wave in the Reagan era (1980-now) comes from an economic decline while the GOP is in power for a reason. If there's no recession, we're not taking back the House.

Virginia,

2. Make sure people register to have a sample ballot or mail in vote. People are far more likely to vote if they see a sample ballot beforehand.
3. Convince mixed households (say a Democrat wife living win a Republican husband) to vote for the Democratic Party.
4. Gather data on which issues are most important to Democrats. So far it's been healthcare in my experience; NOT Russia.
5. Hand out Harley Rouda pamphlets and other campaign literature from his campaign.

The economy was fine in 2006, and 1986 too.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1286 on: June 23, 2017, 03:49:09 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2017, 03:56:37 PM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

Virginia,

Can't speak to 1986, but in 2006 Dems had a coherent message handed to them on a platter.

To TTs original update - I'm going to be doing similar (and perhaps even more futile) work this summer in Alabama, so cheers to making the GOP spend money!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1287 on: June 23, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »

Virginia,

Can't speak to 1986, but in 2006 Dems had a coherent message handed to them on a platter.

To TTs original update - I'm going to be doing similar (and perhaps even more futile) work this summer in Alabama, so cheers to making the GOP spend money!

Ah, but said coherent message wasn't related to any economic downturn, it was related to Iraq.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1288 on: June 23, 2017, 04:23:04 PM »

Virginia,

I'm disputing the claim you keep regurgitating. You living somewhere in the district doesn't actually give you the knowledge to not only declare your district one way,, but declare all suburban districts across the country that same way. Plus, the democrats swung quite a few districts more then 17 points in 06.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1289 on: June 23, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2017, 04:42:45 PM by Technocratic Timmy »

I'm disputing the claim you keep regurgitating. You living somewhere in the district doesn't actually give you the knowledge to not only declare your district one way,, but declare all suburban districts across the country that same way. Plus, the democrats swung quite a few districts more then 17 points in 06.

Maybe if you sat down and looked at how Romney-Clinton districts by and large voted not only for Romney but also largely voted for John McCain (even when Obama won nationally by 7 points), George Bush twice, Bob Dole, Bush Sr. Reagan, etc. you'd finally understand that one single event in which they broke (ONLY at the presidential level) to vote specifically against Trump does not entail that these lifelong Republicans are all of sudden gonna start voting Democratic downballot by and large.

2006? Bush had f**ked up the Katrina cleanup, f**ked up in Iraq, threatened to privatize social security, had been in office for 6 whole years, etc. Obama left a fairly stable country in tact and it's gonna take longer than 23 months for lifelong Republicans to be persuaded to stop voting for their Republican candidate downballot.

It's not just my district. The woman who works as a consultant for the DCCC told the entire staff of campaign volunteers that the voters who voted for Clinton but Republican downballot in all of the districts in and around Orange County all typically had one thing in common: they were lifelong Republicans who approved of their representatives but were hostile towards Trump. Why is this so hard for you to accept?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1290 on: June 23, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

How is it that no matter what position I try to sleep in, my area manages to get in the way?
oh honey just wait until you have big old boobies comblobberating around everrywhere you go a half step behind.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1291 on: June 23, 2017, 05:19:45 PM »

How is it that no matter what position I try to sleep in, my area manages to get in the way?
oh honey just wait until you have big old boobies comblobberating around everrywhere you go a half step behind.
Both sides do it.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1292 on: June 23, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »

Heading back to PA for camp.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1293 on: June 24, 2017, 12:11:42 AM »

Getting ready for a major mountainbike tour with my uncle, up to a mountain reservoir.

We need to start early, because we are in the midst of a 2-week long heat wave with temps approaching some 95-100°F (35°C) today ...
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #1294 on: June 24, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »

I had a dream that I was rifling through my produce drawer to get a peach, but antifa mad scientists had turned all the bell peppers into murderous gremlins that were tasked with assassinating the President.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1295 on: June 24, 2017, 06:24:41 PM »

Gonna submit my thesis to an undergraduate journal. I need to dig a single-spaced version off of my garbage old computer. This will be difficult.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1296 on: June 24, 2017, 08:01:36 PM »

Ramadan for me is now officially over, Ramadan was 29 days this year, gotta get ready for Eid Al-Fitr tomorrow.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1297 on: June 24, 2017, 08:23:59 PM »

Virginia,

Not 2006
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #1298 on: June 24, 2017, 09:03:07 PM »

Virginia,

Not 2006

Much like the midwestern farm depression that anticipated the Great Depression, or the Farm Crisis that preceded the recession of the early 1990s, there was a protracted period of rural economic stagnation all the way back to 2003.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1299 on: June 25, 2017, 06:20:54 AM »

I'ma be on vacation for the next five weeks, and I'll definitely post much less. PM me if you need anything, I'll check those... Not like I'm much of a presence 'round here any more anyway though.

To those interested in what I'm doing (lol no one), I'll be on a bus trip of the country with a basis on political issues. That's the only way I've had it explained to me, so if it made no sense apologies. I've got a flight to Atlanta at 10:30, and at the very least I get to go to a bunch of states I've never been to before and meet with John Lewis, so yeah. Should be fun. Have a good one, y'all.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies