Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:30:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal  (Read 43943 times)
adma
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »

What about Calgary-Redford or Calgary-Prentice (too soon?)  Four of the Famous Five don't have electoral divisions named after them, but I don't know if any had a connection to Calgary.

By the way, I read somewhere that Jim Prentice 'disclaimed' his seat rather than 'resigned' it, since he was never sworn in as the MLA after the election.  I've never heard the term before.

Even so, I'd figure that Calgary-Prentice is all but a given, given the nature of his passing (or the fact that he passed at all, given how many jurisdictions frown upon naming things after living figures) and how he generally inspired posthumous good will all around (notwithstanding his '15 election performance).  And even if he was ill-fated as Premier, his Parliament Hill performance more than compensates (whatever one thinks of Harper).

Now, what about an Edmonton-Stelmach?
adma
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »

The traditional Franco-Ontarian Liberal lean means that the Liberals have *always* overperformed in Hearst.  Kap, on the other hand, was a PC stronghold in 2011--their mayor was the candidate that year, and he really tried to give Bisson a run for his money (while the Grits offered little better than a paper campaign).

It really depends on the candidate dynamics.
adma
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 07:34:33 AM »

The only times this hasn't been the case is when the local candidate was from that municipality (Kap went PC when Kap Mayor Al Spacek was the candidate, Hearst went Liberal when Sylvie Fontain from Hearst ran for the Liberals).  Barring those 2 anomalies, those areas have always been good to Bisson.  Having them in Timmins also helps his chances.

However, Hearst has been historically (i.e. "naturally") stronger for the Liberals than Kap has been for the Tories.  Again, the Franco-Ontarian thing.
adma
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:02:30 PM »

This works. Cambridge needs to be split up anyways, as it's too big to be one riding. Might as well split it down the middle, Barrie-style.

Isn't it already split with Hespeler off on its own?  At this point, just getting rid of North Dumfries might do the trick (though "Galt-Preston" feels a little too anachronistic as a riding name)
adma
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 05:38:56 PM »

Controversial!

I don't like the name "Renfrew" for that riding. The riding's current name is terrible (I would go with "Renfrew-Algonquin" myself), but tacking on anything to it would make it worse. I wonder if a completely new name would be popular: "Upper Ottawa Valley"?.

The trouble with "Renfrew-Algonquin" is that the heart (or most "developed" part) of Algonquin Park is in Nipissing-Timiskaming--though one could always annex that into the riding, unless that made things too geographically unmanageable.  (Maybe "Renfrew-Madawaska-Pembroke" as an alternative?)

I'd probably keep the Kanata-Carleton name instead of re-naming it Kanata-Bell. And I'd drop the "South" from Leeds-Grenville-South Lanark. 

Or invert it to Leeds-Grenville-Lanark South, kind of like Northumberland-Peterborough South.  (Which is a deceiving name, as the "Peterborough South" is P'boro *County*, not the city)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies