Canada Legalized Gay Marriage Today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:28:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Legalized Gay Marriage Today
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Canada Legalized Gay Marriage Today  (Read 3643 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 20, 2005, 09:36:12 PM »
« edited: July 20, 2005, 09:42:16 PM by Frodo »

Here's a model for gay rights activists here in the United States to follow......

Canada 4th nation to legalize gay marriage

By ROB GILLIES
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

TORONTO -- Canada legalized gay marriage Wednesday, becoming the world's fourth nation to grant full legal rights to same-sex couples.

Supreme Court Chief Justice Beverley McLachlin signed the legislation making it law, hours after it was approved by the Senate late Tuesday night despite strong opposition from Conservatives and religious leaders.

The bill gives homosexual couples the same rights as those in traditional unions between a man and a woman, something already legal in eight of Canada's 10 provinces and in two of its three territories.

The legislation drafted by Prime Minister Paul Martin's minority Liberal Party government easily passed the Senate, which essentially rubber stamps any bill already passed by the House of Commons, which passed it late last month.

The Netherlands, Belgium and Spain are the only other nations that allow gay marriage nationwide.

The law comes after years of court battles and debate that divided families, religious groups and even political allies. The Roman Catholic Church, the predominant Christian denomination in Canada, has vigorously opposed the legislation.

source

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 09:43:13 PM »

Oh yeah, the GG just had surgery, so our acting head of state is the Chief Justice.

Good news indeed though Smiley
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 09:49:09 PM »

Except that our Congress thankfully is not screwed that far to the left to support gay marriage and gay adoption.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:07:47 PM »

Good for Canada!  A humane and tolerant nation on the North American continent - who'd have thought it possible?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 10:12:19 PM »

Oh yeah, the GG just had surgery, so our acting head of state is the Chief Justice.
Ah, I see. I was wondering about that as I read the article. (But, to be irritatingly pedantic, Her Majesty The Queen is your head of state, not Clarkson.)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2005, 10:13:57 PM »

Ah, I see. I was wondering about that as I read the article. (But, to be irritatingly pedantic, Her Majesty The Queen is your head of state, not Clarkson.)
True. Either way we have a bunch of women as our heads of state Cheesy
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2005, 10:17:34 PM »

If I may interject:    Roll Eyes

That is all.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 10:18:08 PM »

That's technically true, but given that Clarkson represents Queen Elizabeth and given that she acts essentially independently, Clarkson is essentially our acting head of state, even if the Queen is our head of state in name.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 03:40:43 PM »

That's a shame.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 05:31:02 PM »

Is Canada accepting US immigrants?  Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 05:54:35 PM »

Is Canada accepting US immigrants?  Wink

Yes, but you have to get in line. But, you can still get married here without citizenship or residency.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »

Good for Canada!  A humane and tolerant nation on the North American continent - who'd have thought it possible?

Oh No! another nation has fallen! begun, the Fag War has!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 07:53:03 PM »

I asked my mom in British Columbia if Canada was being destroyed by holy fire and brimstone from God's anger at our legalization of homosexual marriage, but miraculously, she said that it was actually a warm and pleasant summer day and that the only things resembling fire and brimstone was the odd barbeque found in a backyard.  I guess maybe God was too busy or something.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 08:02:19 PM »

No, just waiting, TO SMITE UN BELEEVERS AND FAGG LUVERS !!!!1!!!!1111
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 08:03:25 PM »

Also, I think Canada should beef up ITS borders... Millions of gay americans will try cross illegally to just wed. Tongue
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 08:15:49 PM »

No, just waiting, TO SMITE UN BELEEVERS AND FAGG LUVERS !!!!1!!!!1111
OMG!! ABORT A GUY FEETUS FOR JESUS!!!!111111
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 09:20:39 PM »

Also, I think Canada should beef up ITS borders... Millions of gay americans will try cross illegally to just wed. Tongue

Americans dont cross borders illegaly. Only Mexicans do Cheesy
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2005, 09:24:41 PM »

I asked my mom in British Columbia if Canada was being destroyed by holy fire and brimstone from God's anger at our legalization of homosexual marriage, but miraculously, she said that it was actually a warm and pleasant summer day and that the only things resembling fire and brimstone was the odd barbeque found in a backyard.  I guess maybe God was too busy or something.
Of course he is, I mean he hasnt even gotten to Orlando yet.
Wink
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2005, 09:30:33 PM »

Then, explain the invasion of Irak, oh smart-assed one! if there's a country that crosses most borders (especially of enemy countries) illegally, they are the Amerikans... Also, American criminals flee to Mexico or Canada... what makes you think Fags won't do the same?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2005, 09:32:39 PM »

Then, explain the invasion of Irak, oh smart-assed one! if there's a country that crosses most borders (especially of enemy countries) illegally, they are the Amerikans... Also, American criminals flee to Mexico or Canada... what makes you think Fags won't do the same?

Because getting married there really won't have any real effect unless they are marrying a Canadian or live in the one state that has gay marriage already legal because once they come back their marriage won't be recognized.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 10:11:31 PM »

Maybe the fact that, uh, they're not criminals?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 10:23:26 PM »

Jokes aside, depends where. Also, they overstay: there are, probably, at least 100,000 Americans/Canadians illegally in Mexico (visa overstays and violations, such as illegal employment, etc.). It would be hard for an American to do an illegal crossing into Canada, though - how would one do it illegally?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 10:36:28 PM »

Canadians right now have a few illegal immigrants that need to be sent back and court martialed.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 10:45:55 PM »

Jokes aside, depends where. Also, they overstay: there are, probably, at least 100,000 Americans/Canadians illegally in Mexico (visa overstays and violations, such as illegal employment, etc.). It would be hard for an American to do an illegal crossing into Canada, though - how would one do it illegally?

Well, they build tunnels. I heard on the news today about authorities discovering a tunnel from Canada to the US out in BC. It was used of course to smuggle drugs. It was more complex than anything found on the US-Mexican border, thereby proving that Canada is superior. Cheesy
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 11:05:19 PM »

Well, they build tunnels. I heard on the news today about authorities discovering a tunnel from Canada to the US out in BC. It was used of course to smuggle drugs. It was more complex than anything found on the US-Mexican border, thereby proving that Canada is superior. Cheesy
I'll own your navy any time (refer to my sig) Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies