Canada Legalized Gay Marriage Today (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:46:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada Legalized Gay Marriage Today (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canada Legalized Gay Marriage Today  (Read 3651 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: July 21, 2005, 09:32:39 PM »

Then, explain the invasion of Irak, oh smart-assed one! if there's a country that crosses most borders (especially of enemy countries) illegally, they are the Amerikans... Also, American criminals flee to Mexico or Canada... what makes you think Fags won't do the same?

Because getting married there really won't have any real effect unless they are marrying a Canadian or live in the one state that has gay marriage already legal because once they come back their marriage won't be recognized.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 12:26:50 AM »

whilst Australia is a long way off something like this, my state (Victoria) is expected to pass legislation soon that will make gay adoption legal and make IVF sperm donors unable to claim parentage of children conceived with their sperm, as they currently can do with single women and lesbian couples.

The latter law is just common sense; and the former is interesting. I think that being adopted by a gay couple is better then not being adopted at all, or just by one person, although to be frank it probably isn't as good for the child as heterosexual adoption-but honestly, we don't know. I don't think it is negative, though.

It's not even legal to adopt if you are gay? That's major discrimination! Silly Aussies.

An individual homosexual can adopt, but not a couple as a couple in which both would become officially parents.

Basically, it's a reserved power of the states. In WA, TAS and the ACT it's legal for couples to adopt and both take parentage; in QLD, NSW, SA and the NT it isn't; and Victoria is progressing towards it.

That's a terrible human rights violation

You could argue that there is a human rights violation, but a terrible one? No. Putting someone in a death camp is a terrible violation, this is just minor. Though I wonder to myself whether or not adoption is a human right or not.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies