Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:23:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Louisiana "Blue Lives Matter" Law Makes Resisting Arrest a Hate Crime  (Read 1578 times)
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:10:48 PM »

Solid lawmaking.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:12 PM »

What the heck?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:20 PM »

Good.  It is a hate crime.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »

Huh?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »

This is literally the most dangerous state for it to become a law. Very, very, very bad. Why would Edwards do this.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:13:40 PM »

I like the intent of this law, but I don't like the designation of "hate crime" in any circumstance.  Just charge someone with the crime they committed.  The prosecution can mention motivation to the jury during sentencing if they want, but it shouldn't be an official designation.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:41 PM »

This sounds like an article from a slightly more edgy version of the Onion.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:55 PM »

"Why was I pulled over officer" = Hate crime if the cop decides he doesn't like your tone. (Whether that be the tone of your voice or the tone of your skin color)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 09:16:48 PM »

No it isn't. Take for instance someone who truly believes they are innocent, and they resist the people coming to put them in a cage. How is that a hate crime? It doesn't mean the person resisting hates the police, or has any prejudices or what have you towards them. It just means they don't want to go into a cage for no reason. Resisting arrest is probably one of the easiest charges for police to abuse, and I can't say I like it being made a hate crime with that in mind.

This is just a law made to pander to certain people. It's completely useless and possibly even harmful/counterproductive.
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »

Awful. Disappointing that JBE signed this.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »

Did JBE really sign this?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:19:03 PM »

I like the intent of this law, but I don't like the designation of "hate crime" in any circumstance.  Just charge someone with the crime they committed.  The prosecution can mention motivation to the jury during sentencing if they want, but it shouldn't be an official designation.

With a few very specific exceptions regarding race [which is where wiggle room is obviously needed], I actually agree with this.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:50 PM »

I really want the "The Future of the Democratic Party is JBE" types to respond to this.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:18 PM »

JBE: FF->HP

With a few very specific exceptions regarding race, I actually agree with this.

Why race and not sex, gender, orientation, religion, etc.?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 09:29:29 PM »

Awful.

The police need more accountability, not things more unfairly tilted toward them. This will be easily abused.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:35 PM »

It should be made clear that the letter of the law does not specifically state that resisting arrest can be treated as a hate crime. This article refers to one Louisiana Police Chief's interpretation of the law which, if he attempted to enforce it, would likely result in a legal dispute over the exact meaning of Louisiana's "Blue Lives Matter" law.

Nevertheless, this law is ridiculous, absurd, and harms the intent of hate crimes laws, which are intended to protect historically marginalized and disadvantaged groups due to immutable characteristics; an occupation, such as policing, would not fit said qualifications.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2017, 09:36:17 PM »

Police need their own bathrooms next!

Seriously, this is horsesh**t. I have no idea how hate gets into the equation here. Refuse to take a breathalyzer? HATE CRIME!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »

No it isn't. Take for instance someone who truly believes they are innocent, and they resist the people coming to put them in a cage. How is that a hate crime? It doesn't mean the person resisting hates the police, or has any prejudices or what have you towards them. It just means they don't want to go into a cage for no reason. Resisting arrest is probably one of the easiest charges for police to abuse, and I can't say I like it being made a hate crime with that in mind.

This is just a law made to pander to certain people. It's completely useless and possibly even harmful/counterproductive.

Well, I hate it.

I don't really think it should be charged as a hate crime necessarily, but I like the symbolism.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 09:40:03 PM »

Well, I hate it.

I don't really think it should be charged as a hate crime necessarily, but I like the symbolism.

"This law is probably a bad idea, but it makes me feel good if I don't think about it!"
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »

Well, I hate it.

"This law is probably a bad idea, but it makes me feel good if I don't think about it!"

Just call me a liberal.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2017, 09:48:57 PM by Special Boy »

Well, I hate it.

Just call me a liberal.

We've come full circle, then? Isn't that the entire Trump thing boiled down, anyway? And who knows? Maybe it will work on some weird Cybernetic Synchronistic Jungian mumbo-jumbo level. Personally, I give it a 15% chance of it being Morning in America, and about a 50/50 chance of this being some Hypernormalization (the set of social conditions of the late 70s/early-mid 80s USSR) 2.0
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 09:46:17 PM »

Very, very, very bad. Why would Edwards do this.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 09:48:29 PM »

What a great rationale. Let's apply this to other hate crime laws as a test. So if I punch a black guy, I guess that makes it a hate crime, regardless of intent.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:49:53 PM »

What a great rationale. Let's apply this to other hate crime laws as a test. So if I punch a black guy, I guess that makes it a hate crime, regardless of intent.

That's usually how it works in this country anyway.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:05 PM »

But you will want to believe it was even though you and everyone knows it wasn't true!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies