How have your views on abortion changed over the years? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:31:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How have your views on abortion changed over the years? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
More pro-choice now

More pro-life now

No change

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 114

Author Topic: How have your views on abortion changed over the years?  (Read 4332 times)
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 18, 2017, 11:11:50 PM »
« edited: February 18, 2017, 11:14:51 PM by MarkD »

Option 1. I changed my mind (from pro-life to pro-choice) when I read in a newspaper about an attorney who argued that if a fetus is an independent life with rights of its own, then putting a pregnant woman in jail is depriving a fetus of liberty without a fair trial.
Down through the years, I have also found it rather ironic that so many pro-lifers are so sure that "abortion is murder," yet they do not want to impose any punishment on a woman who asks to get an abortion.

However, I am NOT in favor of Roe v. Wade as an interpretation of the Constitution. Roe was not an interpretation of the Constitution at all. That Supreme Court decision must be overturned in order to restore a correct understanding of what the Constitution means.
From Justice White's dissenting opinion in Roe:
I find nothing in the language or history of the Constitution to support the Court's judgment. The Court simply fashions and announces a new constitutional right for pregnant women and, with scarcely any reason or authority for its action, invests that right with sufficient substance to override most existing state abortion statutes. The upshot is that the people and the legislatures of the 50 States are constitutionally disentitled to weigh the relative importance of the continued existence and development of the fetus, on the one hand, against a spectrum of possible impacts on the woman, on the other hand. As an exercise of raw judicial power, the Court perhaps has authority to do what it does today; but, in my view, its judgment is an improvident and extravagant exercise of the power of judicial review that the Constitution extends to this Court.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies