France : Who has the best chance of beating Marine Le Pen in the second round?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:52:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  France : Who has the best chance of beating Marine Le Pen in the second round?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: France : Who has the best chance of beating Marine Le Pen in the second round?
Francois Fillon

Emmanuel Macron

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: France : Who has the best chance of beating Marine Le Pen in the second round?  (Read 3123 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:28 AM »

Who has the best chance of beating Marine Le Pen in the second round?

Francois Fillon or Emmanuel Macron?
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »

Me.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »

I guess Macron. He’s less controversial and could pull out more support across the spectrum. I guess that the Fillon dude would have problems to turn out enough liberal and left votes. Nevertheless, I believe that both would beat LePen by a decent margin.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »

All right!

You convinced me that if Le Pen were to be in the second round so should be Emmanuel Macron.

So I guess that Francois Fillon should be eliminated in the first round, thus avoiding a French Hillary Clinton and ensuring the loss of a French Donald Trump (Le Pen).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »

Fillon, of course. 2002 all over again; with a much stronger Le Pen and a much weaker "mainstream" right-wing candidate, but still. It is Macron-Le Pen that could absolutely turn into a Hillary-Trump thing, with Le Pen being able to position herself on his left economically against "globalism" and the like.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »

Fillon, of course. 2002 all over again; with a much stronger Le Pen and a much weaker "mainstream" right-wing candidate, but still. It is Macron-Le Pen that could absolutely turn into a Hillary-Trump thing, with Le Pen being able to position herself on his left economically against "globalism" and the like.

But Fillon is more controversial and risks being indicted into the scandal about his wife and her money. That's why I think Fillon is the equivalent of Hillary.
Klartext89

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »

She'll lose against both, I'm afraid.

The question is: Would it be better for her to talk about social and economic policies (against Fillon) or about immigration, terrorism etc issues against Macron. I'm not sure.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 11:28:06 AM »

well...i am sure the 40% left-wing voters would instantly pick social-murderer fillon.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:59:12 PM »

Considering Fillon is currently under investigation, Macron by default.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »

Who is Jacques Chirac again?
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 03:42:34 PM »

Former French President from 1995 to 2007.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 04:21:10 PM »

Former French President from 1995 to 2007.

That was a rhetorical question.
mgop
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »

those who say macron are probably the same who said that hillary will beat trump in landslide. oh liberals will never learn lol
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 04:32:09 PM »

those who say macron are probably the same who said that hillary will beat trump in landslide. oh liberals will never learn lol

ofc the charismatic outsider macron is just like hillary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 04:34:55 PM »

ofc the charismatic outsider macron is just like hillary.

roflmao
Angel of Death
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 05:34:34 PM »

Michael Bloomberg seems like the better comparison:
Moderate Savior Coming From The Outside To Rescue The Republic From The Extremes Straight From The Middle!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »

Definitely Macron, duh.

I mean, Fillon isn't going TL get many leftwingers. Macron is a centridt and would more easily federate.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 06:24:18 PM »

Macron may be a moderate hero, bur right now I'd take freaking Joe Manchin over Le Pen.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:31 PM »

As others have said Fillion would hardly be the first candidate (or first president) to be brought on corruption charges
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »

Fillon is at +20 against Le Pen, while Macron is at +30 against Le Pen. Macron is able to attract more disaffected LR voters than Fillon is able to attract disaffected PS voters.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 01:34:32 PM »

in the alternative universe where Valls left the Hollande government instead of Macron after PS insufficiently smashes the gypsies or whatever, I think he would be extremely favoured, because the issues that Manuel feints rightwards is on stuff French people like (security, no Muslims) whereas the rightwards things Macron is associated with is the sort of stuff French voters (well, all voters, but especially French ones) dislike: "corporations are people my friend"ism, working longer hours and higher retirement ages.

So I'll say Fillon is favoured even with the corruption charges.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 02:36:46 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 02:38:22 PM by DavidB. »

Macron has all the negatives of Fillon and none of the positives. Le Pen will still be able to position herself to the "left" of Macron on economic issues, attracting working-class voters. Yet while Fillon is "tough on crime/Muslims", sufficiently so for right-wingers to vote for him instead of Le Pen, Macron is not like that at all. And it's an illusion to think non-working-class left-wing voters would stay home in a Fillon-Le Pen runoff, handing Le Pen the victory; most of them would ultimately turn out for Fillon anyway, just like they turned out for Chirac in 2002.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 03:11:23 PM »

Macron has all the negatives of Fillon and none of the positives. Le Pen will still be able to position herself to the "left" of Macron on economic issues, attracting working-class voters. Yet while Fillon is "tough on crime/Muslims", sufficiently so for right-wingers to vote for him instead of Le Pen, Macron is not like that at all. And it's an illusion to think non-working-class left-wing voters would stay home in a Fillon-Le Pen runoff, handing Le Pen the victory; most of them would ultimately turn out for Fillon anyway, just like they turned out for Chirac in 2002.

I'm a non-working-class left-wing voter, and if that's the choice I'll get in the runoff, I'm strongly considering casting a blank vote.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 03:16:00 PM by DavidB. »

I'm a non-working-class left-wing voter, and if that's the choice I'll get in the runoff, I'm strongly considering casting a blank vote.
Sure, but you are hardly representative for that group of voters. Most people aren't nearly as politically engaged as people like us are. And I said "most of them", not "all of them."

And would you vote for Macron over Le Pen? (Reminds me I have to get back to that one thread about Hamon; I promise I will!)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »

Sure, but you are hardly representative for that group of voters. Most people aren't nearly as politically engaged as people like us are. And I said "most of them", not "all of them."

And would you vote for Macron over Le Pen? (Reminds me I have to get back to that one thread about Hamon; I promise I will!)

I'm unrepresentative in many ways, but I think I'm fairly representative in this particular respect. There's a long (minority) tradition of hard-leftist sympathies among the French middle- and upper-middle classes (that's where the term "bobo" comes from). Those people tend to loathe what Fillon stands for, especially if you factor in his Religious Right-ish tendencies. Many of them will still vote for him in a runoff against Le Pen, but quite a few won't.

And yeah, if its's Macron vs Le Pen I'll definitely hold my nose and vote Macron. At least he doesn't plan to completely wreck the welfare state.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies